Quality Television programming
Jun 6, 2002 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
I hate watching TV.I think it is a horrible waste of my valuable time.The stuff that comes on the screen nowadays makes me want to scream in disgust."Survivor","The Real World","Friends",and just about any network sitcom are all terrible.I gain most of my TV entertainment from watching "Sponge Bob Squarepants" with my son.That is not a good thing.even the shows that were once stellar are now over-the-top dramacrap.Look at "ER" that show was great.What emergency room have you ever been in where all that crazy **** happens?I realize TV is entertainment and the fantasy part of it is important,but please.I don't even have a TV in my bedroom anymore,I watch movies in the family room and read the newspaper for my news.Children's programming has suffered the most.The poor quality of kid's shows on TV today is really discouraging.I don't know where all the creative people are but they are not working at the networks.

I hate to rant like this,but I just sat through one of those stupid "Behind the Music" specials.I hate those.I give less than a tenth of a **** about any of these people.Even worse are those "Top 100" specials,be it "Top 100 Rock Songs" or "Top 100 Females" or whatever.I was wearing sandals today so when I threw my shoe at the TV it didn't break anything.I would kiss the hairy ass of a top TV exec to get some decent shows on the box.

The last good show I watched was on The Learning Channel.It was the "Making Marines" documentary series.My wife and I were both MARINES and that show brought back a lot of memories from Parris Island basic.It was amazing to watch those young people transformed from self-centered brats to soldiers.The interviews and reactions to training were the best I have ever seen in this type of show.When I saw the gas chamber scene and the Crucible I wanted to cry for those recruits.I was glad they showed the Warrior's breakfast.I watched that entire series three times and even purchased the series on VHS.TV like this is shamefully rare.I will stop now and watch a *****.sorry

edit:
I would'nt really kiss another man's ass,but you get the idea.Right?

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:13 AM Post #2 of 29
Oh, you had me going there. I was hoping you were going to post that one show that was actually worth watching. Oh, well...

I do agree with most everything you said, but..."Behind the Music"? That's a great show! I especially loved the one about Weird Al Yankovic -- "These shows are about people who have done drugs or have had near-death experiences, or have some sort of skeletons in the closet. I haven't done anything like that...have I?"

Hey, if you want to see some quality children's programming, find a show called "Reboot". You're right, it's not on a major network, and I don't think it's currently shown in the USA, but...they have the third season out on DVD...I'm not sure how much sense it would make without the first two, but I liked it...

(Yes, I watch some children's shows. No, I'm not caught up with Spongebob Squarepants -- I don't watch TV -- but I've heard it's good.)

Yeah, my favourite shows when I watched television were on Discovery, and the Learning Channel, and Animal Planet and...

KILL YOUR TELEVISION!!!

PS Yes, we understand, it's "just an expression". You know it's impossible, so you don't have any problem saying it, but then you realize, just saying it is...well...yes, we get the idea...

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 29
I love TV. I can't get enough TV. My favorite time is prime time, when TV's brightest stars come out to shine. I have 78 channels. I wish that I could watch them all at the same time. If I'm watching one channel, I'm missing what's on the other channels. What if it was something good and they never show it again?

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 29
Good TV is hard to find. Some shows that I've really loved have been Sports Night and Homicide (both canceled), and The Sopranos on HBO. But for bad TV.... did anyone see The Hamptons the other night? That was some of the most painful television in a while. It was a documentary on a summer in the Hamptons, and these people in it were selfcentered, egotistical, vain, Prada wearing, BWM SUV driving, two pecks on the cheek hello type people. Watching them interact was like watching a car wreck in slow motion.

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #5 of 29
I don't watch much tv, but there are a couple funny things out there. On Cartoon Planet they have this series of cartoons called Aquateens, which is hilarious. Also if you haven't yet seen The Osbournes on MTV, then you are definitely missing out.

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 29
It's as hard to find good television programming as it is on the radio. I feel the same way, although if you look hard there are some gems:

Discovery Channel
HGTV
The Learning Channel
PBS
Cartoon Network
Comedy Central
National Geographic
Independent Film Channel
Bravo

Tuberoller, you sound like a candidate for some episodes of "The Awful Truth"!

Jun 6, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 29
My favorite show was "Big Brother". You could watch people just going about their lives. It reminded me of what I do on a daily basis. Sometimes the people on the show were watching TV theirselves. Often I would yell at the people on the show "Change the channel" if they were watching something I didn't like, but they never listened. What a good idea for a TV show. I have the whole series taped. I plan to watch it again sometime.

Jun 6, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 29
grancasa, I also loved SportsNight -- I was really bummed when it went off the air. The problem was supposedly that it was too smart for the average American, who didn't get most of the jokes (the Dennis Miller Syndrome).

Fortunately, the writer (Aaron Sorkin) also does The West Wing, which is one of the few shows I will actually bother to watch or record on a regular basis. The other network shows I'll watch are The Simpsons, NYPD Blue, and Ed. I'll also watch The 70s Show for some stupid laughs
wink.gif

I have to agree with NickD that Discovery Channel, Learning Channel, PBS, and Comedy Central have some of the best shows on TV.

Jun 6, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 29
Yeah, another vote for "Sports Night"! That show was awesome. I was soooo sorry that it had such a short run.

Another show I was sorry it did not go anywhere was "M.Y.O.B". It was the original concept for what is now "Gilmore Girls", but was nothing like the sappy, drivel that the show is now. It had the same female lead, but had a different daughter who was bitingly sarcastic, and quick witted. Funny, fast-paced, intelligent comedy. Not much drama. I guess it didn't "test" well, so they changed it around.

For me the only network show worth watching consistently is "BTVS". Seasons 1 & 2 were by far the best, but even 3 thru 6 are still better than anything else out there.

TBS recently had a cool 3-episode series called "The Child's Mind". Also, Alan Alda's "Scientific Frontiers" series on PBS is always awesome. Lastly, I will admit to watching Paige Davis' belly-button, on "Trading Spaces" alot recently
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2002 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 29
Anyone notice how the disney channel has gone downhill? I mean, when I was a young'un, (this ending about 6 or 7 years ago
wink.gif
), the disney channel was pure, and it was disney. Mickey mouse, etc.

Now, a couple months ago, I walked in on my sister. She was watching disney. I heard the phrase "So, you're still a virgin?"

That scared me.
eek.gif
rolleyes.gif
T.V. has gone downhill. That's why I have every single episode of family guy on vcd. AND THEY CANCELLED IT.

Jun 7, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 29
most commercial television is aimed at the lowest common denominator.Not the brightest or the dumb but simple folk that just want to veg out.
If a show requires too much thought it would eliminate a large percentage of possible consumers and the bottom line IS the bottom line.
Sucks but how things work.
But there are soooo many options that there is something for every taste , even morons
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back