Quality speaker stands
Feb 4, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #16 of 26
I have 2 sets of these:
AudiogoN ForSale: Atlantis sbf 20
24" in black.

Not the greatest build quality, but they're hefty, won't tip over and when you fill them with sand they aren't much worse than the ones my friend has.

The only issue is that they arrived damaged and the company had to send me 2 and a half pairs before I got a complete set so you might want to check with them before you buy, but the good news is that they have great customer service and when it was all said and done I just had to go buy a few screws to put together the 2nd pair so I got 2 pairs for the price of 1.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 26
furball, you can definitely get them at Home Depot, or any other similar store. Also, if you're looking for cheap, they're ridiculously cheap. Last I remember, it cost me less than 30 bucks to get enough for a TV stand, and it should be about the same number for two speaker stands. Also, if you're only going to use a blanket on top, depending on the thickness, you might want something else to put the speakers on to stop them from moving around. A mousepad was suggested, and that would work very well, and would only run you a couple bucks. Small rubber dimples will work well, the kind that you stick to chair legs and the such to stop them from moving. Perhaps not the most "audiophile" solution, but I never understood the motivation to make everything "audiophile" anyway, unless you care about looks.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #18 of 26
Thanks!

I was actually thinking about using blu-tack. Someone on another forum suggested it.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
furball, you can definitely get them at Home Depot, or any other similar store. Also, if you're looking for cheap, they're ridiculously cheap. Last I remember, it cost me less than 30 bucks to get enough for a TV stand, and it should be about the same number for two speaker stands. Also, if you're only going to use a blanket on top, depending on the thickness, you might want something else to put the speakers on to stop them from moving around. A mousepad was suggested, and that would work very well, and would only run you a couple bucks. Small rubber dimples will work well, the kind that you stick to chair legs and the such to stop them from moving. Perhaps not the most "audiophile" solution, but I never understood the motivation to make everything "audiophile" anyway, unless you care about looks.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of a speaker stand that is meant to be placed on a desk? Like one that would raise the Audioengine monitors about 5 or 6 inches off the desk to be at ear level.

Headroom is supposed to be coming out with a speaker stand for desktop use. I've got no idea when or how much they will cost.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #20 of 26
I got one of the cheapest speaker stand setups that I put together. first I was able to acquire a couple of 5 gallon beer kegs for free. these are the small slender kegs. I thoroughly cleaned, then bleached and then hair dried them out so nothing would grow inside. then I filled them with kitty litter(later own I plan to use fine sand and top it off with cellulose). they weigh out about 60 pounds each and stand 23 or 24 inches high. perfect for me cause all me seating is low. I also top off the top of me speakers with 10 pounds of Weider bar weights that I picked up second hand. it's a very solid stand that cost me next to nothing to put together. plus it has me favorite brewer stamped on it. I have plans to extend the height a couple of more inches and add even more weight inside, plus use heavier Weider weights on top to make it as solid as possible.

an old friend of mine back in the mid 80's use to use pedestals that were about 30 inches high. I thought they were an excellent idea! it's been so long ago I forget what they were made of but they were possibly the concrete ones. she was a rich girl but she had a knack for acquiring things for cheap or free that she used to decorate her hip pads with. she loved junk and she was a punk!

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #21 of 26
I have two pairs of the high mass Parts Express stands you mentioned and they are great. They are about 25lbs each by themselves then after filling them with sand they are about 50lbs each and they have fully adjustable floor spikes and plate spikes for coupling. The only thing I would say is they are obviously heavy and PE shipping isn't the cheapest, but if you keep your eye on their sale flyer's they put these on sale quite often with free shipping.

Cinder blocks will work as a stand for elevation alone, but they are not great for coupling which leads to a loss of acoustic energy - ie poor imaging and weak bass.

If you are looking for a cheaper option, look online for DIY speaker stands similar to this or numerous others. If you build something like this full of sand and use either spikes or feet - depending upon your floor - you will have some great stands for a relatively inexpensive price.

I think with stand mount speakers, a well anchored stand and proper positioning often have more to do with creating a really great soundstage than much of the gear itself - within reason of course...

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of a speaker stand that is meant to be placed on a desk? Like one that would raise the Audioengine monitors about 5 or 6 inches off the desk to be at ear level.

Auralex MoPAD | Sweetwater.com

Feb 5, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cinder blocks will work as a stand for elevation alone, but they are not great for coupling which leads to a loss of acoustic energy - ie poor imaging and weak bass.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't cinder blocks work? If it's about getting the vibrations away from the speaker and dissipated into the floor, so long as the stands are heavy enough to make full contact, what's the problem? If you're referring to spikes, those would only matter in carpet flooring; with hard flooring, all the speaker spikes are going to do is ruin your finish. As for carpet, the only advantages to having spikes is so the speaker+stands won't move around the carpet as the speaker moves air, but given how large and heavy those cinderblocks are... if anything, they will increase coupling.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't cinder blocks work? If it's about getting the vibrations away from the speaker and dissipated into the floor, so long as the stands are heavy enough to make full contact, what's the problem? If you're referring to spikes, those would only matter in carpet flooring; with hard flooring, all the speaker spikes are going to do is ruin your finish. As for carpet, the only advantages to having spikes is so the speaker+stands won't move around the carpet as the speaker moves air, but given how large and heavy those cinderblocks are... if anything, they will increase coupling.

It's not that cinder blocks won't work, it is just that they are often less than ideal in many circumstances and could inhibit some of your speakers potential.

Concerning your question of coupling, cinder blocks on carpet will couple the speakers to the blocks and give them more mass, but the carpet/padding will isolate and decouple the blocks from the floor which essentially just models a heavier speaker. In regards to spikes on carpet, they are not for simply for keeping the stand in place, rather they penetrate the carpet/pad and actually couple the stand to the floor.

Cinder blocks on wood floors would couple better, but due to the inaccuracy of the material surface and the large surface plane they contact with they are again less than ideal - which again is the purpose of a focused contact between the stand and floor in the form of spikes for carpet or spikes with floor pads or good feet for hard surfaces.

Also FWIW, some of the other audio boards have tests and commentary with concrete blocks as speaker stands and as component shelving stands which go in to quite a bit of detail of where they can work and where they are not so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back