Quality speaker stands
Feb 4, 2008 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

furball

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any recommendations on some good, quality, solid speaker stands, around 30', that don't cost a fortune (around ~$110). The bookshelves I am considering are heavy, about 30lbs each.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Feb 4, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 26
Parts Express has a few good ones, take a look...

You mean 30" not 30' right? Why you need them so high the tweeters should be at ear level, don't forget that, unless you will be standing all the time 30" is too high IMO...

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 26
you should spend more on your stand. Your bass quality and soundstage depend heavily on the type and quality of stand you use. If I were you I would allocate at least $300 - $600 on the stands

Feb 4, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should spend more on your stand. Your bass quality and soundstage depend heavily on the type and quality of stand you use. If I were you I would allocate at least $300 - $600 on the stands

Recommending $300 stands when we dont know how expensive his speakers are doesnt make sense. Theres no use in spending $300 on stands for a $500 speaker.

Feb 4, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 26
Does anyone know of a speaker stand that is meant to be placed on a desk? Like one that would raise the Audioengine monitors about 5 or 6 inches off the desk to be at ear level.

Feb 4, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Theres no use in spending $300 on stands for a $500 speaker.

I disagree. been there; done that; the differences are huge with the better stand.

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Recommending $300 stands when we dont know how expensive his speakers are doesnt make sense. Theres no use in spending $300 on stands for a $500 speaker.

Not even for the $3000.00 speaker, there is absolutelly no need to spend $300.00 on any stands, a concrete block will be the best stand you can imagine, and will not cost you more than 50.00...price means nothing, you just have to spend money wisely, my stands cost me $70.00 and will beat many $1000.00 stands I have seen, all is on the design and geometry to avoid vibrations...

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 26
Concrete blocks!

I knew I was forgetting something.
smily_headphones1.gif
That seems to be a good choice.

The speakers I am considering are the Polk LSi9's. They are fairly deep. I have looked at the speaker stands on Onecall, Crutchfield, Parts Express, the top plates all seem too small. And yes, sorry, I meant to say 30". Is 26" enough?

That partsexpress Dayton heavy mass 24" stand seems enticing, but it's 24", I was afraid it might not be tall enough.

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 26
I compared the Datyon stand with the sound anchor stand of an equivalent height with the Harbeth C7, the difference is distinctly apparent and improvement is clearly audible.

Using cheap stand is one sure way to ruin your spkr sound.

Feb 4, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using cheap stand is one sure way to ruin your spkr sound.

And since when expensive equals quality in audio?

I'm not saying that the Parts Express Dayton are the best stands in the world, but hey at 2 watts maximum that you will use your speakers what kind of vibrations you will get that will ruin the sound, we are not talking of a dedicated room for music, otherwise you have to agree with me than a floorstander will be best suited than a bookshelf...But I think that there is a little exageration somewhere around IMO...

Sometimes people misplace the order of priorities in audio, and fantasize a bit about the importance of things in an audio chain...speaker stands are important, that is true, but a $500.00 stand is a rip off in my book, therei s not a way of justifying 500.00 in a soldered metal stand made out of steel, and plastic coated, that is indeed a cheap process, and honestly you will be better served by a $500.00 more expensive speaker and a block from home depot...Yep a concrete dead block with a mouse pad on top will be all you want...
BTW 24 inches is usally the right height in most fo the cases...

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know of a speaker stand that is meant to be placed on a desk? Like one that would raise the Audioengine monitors about 5 or 6 inches off the desk to be at ear level.

check the current stereophile for the headroom add. They have a pair of stands with a headphone hanger on the side.

I agree that there is a difference in stands. One of my friend's has better stands than I do and my speakers sound slightly better on his stands, but the difference is subtle and his stands cost 3x what mine did so for now I'm keeping mine... there are other things to upgrade first
rolleyes.gif

You don't have to spend a ton on speaker stands, but certainly you can get better quality by spending more. Whatever you get be sure that it has spikes for feet and can be filled with sand or kitty litter.

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speaker stands are important, that is true, but a $500.00 stand is a rip off in my book, therei s not a way of justifying 500.00 in a soldered metal stand made out of steel, and plastic coated, that is indeed a cheap process,

one can say the same thing about your Edition 9, the total parts cost is probably well below $100 (just guessing); the headphone is made out of plastic for crying out loud - there is no way to justify spending $1k on a pair of plastic headphone; for comparison, HD650 is carbon fiber, RS1 is mahogany, R10 is rare aged wood. The only justification is because it sounds good, the same applies to stands, cables, and any other audio tweaks.

Feb 4, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And since when expensive equals quality in audio?

I'm not saying that the Parts Express Dayton are the best stands in the world, but hey at 2 watts maximum that you will use your speakers what kind of vibrations you will get that will ruin the sound, we are not talking of a dedicated room for music, otherwise you have to agree with me than a floorstander will be best suited than a bookshelf...But I think that there is a little exageration somewhere around IMO...

Sometimes people misplace the order of priorities in audio, and fantasize a bit about the importance of things in an audio chain...speaker stands are important, that is true, but a $500.00 stand is a rip off in my book, therei s not a way of justifying 500.00 in a soldered metal stand made out of steel, and plastic coated, that is indeed a cheap process, and honestly you will be better served by a $500.00 more expensive speaker and a block from home depot...Yep a concrete dead block with a mouse pad on top will be all you want...
BTW 24 inches is usally the right height in most fo the cases...

2 watts maximum??? Not everyone has high efficency speakers that listen to at very low volume levels.

Feb 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 26
OK, let's focus the discussion here: even if there's a difference in sound, and even if that difference in sound is clearly audible, the OP clearly said he was looking for "good, quality speaker stands that don't cost a fortune." So, taking that consideration into mind, get the cinderblocks if you're only looking for small increases in height, or you don't mind stacking them. They look ugly, but if you spraypaint them black and turn them sideways, they can look pretty decent, especially considering that they're cinderblocks (I did a similar setup with my TV, and with the right paint choice they look pretty good). Also, to address your question furball, the daytom 24 inch stands are really nice ones. Very heavy and solid so they won't slide around if you feel in a megadeth mood someday. Also, 24 inches should be fine - if you're in doubt, grab some tape measure or a yardstick, mark off 24 inches, and go to where you'll be listening most of the time, staring at the mark - if it's approximately eye level, you're good to go.

Feb 4, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #15 of 26
Thanks. The Dayton does look nice. But at $100, I don't know. I have already spent quite a bit on amps and speakers.

So I may just take the cheap way out, a couple of cinder blocks!
biggrin.gif
I think I will just drape some old blankets over the cinder blocks, I am even too cheap to spend the money on a can of spray paint.
tongue.gif

BTW, where can you get cinder blocks from? Home Depot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back