Quality PC Audio - Possible?
Aug 22, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 37
Funny that just now I came across a Youtube review channel that focuses on streaming. Reviews mics, mic preamps and audio interfaces. Perhaps you can find what you're looking for here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/Podcastage/videos
Funnily enough, that's where I saw the MKH416 review - and he didn't convince me that it was worth $1000. Honestly:
I use a Blue yeti mic. Never let me down.
This should be the decent start I'm looking for, I think. Maybe I can play around with some 'plugins' or 'filters' on the mic input side to give me more of a sound I enjoy.

I'm going to try to bundle the RME ADI 2 DAC tomorrow (calling Sweetwater, hoping they'll give a bit of a discount!) with 2 of the Focal Shape 40s. A bit of a noob question: do I need to buy all the cables then separately, say the balanced connectors? The USB RME cable for the DAC? It's not easy to see 'what comes in the box' with these things.

Good call on the Focal, @Average Frequency - that really takes me back. I used to love KEF and Klipsch, too...but been a long, long time.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #18 of 37
I'm going to try to bundle the RME ADI 2 DAC tomorrow (calling Sweetwater, hoping they'll give a bit of a discount!) with 2 of the Focal Shape 40s. A bit of a noob question: do I need to buy all the cables then separately, say the balanced connectors? The USB RME cable for the DAC? It's not easy to see 'what comes in the box' with these things.

Good call on the Focal, @Average Frequency - that really takes me back. I used to love KEF and Klipsch, too...but been a long, long time.
Ah, you have to buy from the US... US prices for Focal are so inflated that I would think twice about that choice! The largest music store in the EU is asking 349 Euro per piece for Shape 40, and 475 Euro per piece for KH80. And personally I think those prices perfectly reflect the technical qualities of each. Seeing as the Shape 40 are lacking quite a bit in bass, and that the KH80 are much more capable, I'd advise against the Focal at the prices that Sweetwater is asking.

USB cable is included with the ADI-2, but to connect the monitors you'll have to buy XLR female to XLR male balanced cable. (Often called microphone cable, but that's what you'll need.)

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #19 of 37
Ah, you have to buy from the US... US prices for Focal are so inflated that I would think twice about that choice! The largest music store in the EU is asking 349 Euro per piece for Shape 40, and 475 Euro per piece for KH80. And personally I think those prices perfectly reflect the technical qualities of each. Seeing as the Shape 40 are lacking quite a bit in bass, and that the KH80 are much more capable, I'd advise against the Focal at the prices that Sweetwater is asking.

USB cable is included with the ADI-2, but to connect the monitors you'll have to buy XLR female to XLR male balanced cable. (Often called microphone cable, but that's what you'll need.)

On the pricing: I know. When I moved to the EU many years ago I was surprised how expensive most things were compared to the USA. This is one of those (rare-ish) moments where it doesn't exactly work out in my favor now that I'm back :wink:

So the DAC, 2x Neumann KH80s, 2x 6 feet Mogami XLRF-XLRM, and a pair of ISO130s comes to 2436.89. Seems good to me, will mull it over with another coffee before pulling the trigger :)

Aug 25, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #20 of 37

I have to get surgery on my right ear since I have 'otosclerosis' and severe hearing loss/tinnitus. ...
Hmm... just a thought, if I were in your situation, I would wait the result of the surgery before investing to 'high-quality-pricy' audio gear... . Some of those, living with hearing related ailment maybe gains more from properly adjusted balance and EQ -curve than what investing in HQ audio hardware could bring with.

Aug 26, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #21 of 37
Hmm... just a thought, if I were in your situation, I would wait the result of the surgery before investing to 'high-quality-pricy' audio gear... . Some of those, living with hearing related ailment maybe gains more from properly adjusted balance and EQ -curve than what investing in HQ audio hardware could bring with.

That's very kind of you. I'm not investing in quality audio gear to 'deal' with the issue in my right ear - that is what the surgery is for. My left ear is still (measurably) fantastic, and the surgery with my right should revert it to (close) to that.

All the items have been delivered - will have to redo my desk and PC setup. Can't wait! I got the RME ADI 2 and well, what can I say...I should have bought a quality DAC ages ago for PC listening.

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #22 of 37
Hey all,

I have been out of the loop for a while, and "upgrade-itis" is setting in. That's easy of course, because my current PC setup is Sennheiser Gaming One headphones, plugged into my motherboard's mic/line out ports.

But my portable audio setup is still an iPod Nano -> custom ALO cable -> RSA Tomahawk -> UE 10 Pro Customs.

So, 1: how can I achieve fantastic output sound on my PC? I'm happy to still use the UE 10 Pro Customs. I would love to find a "high end" DAC (are USB DACs in this category) that I could use for both mic input, and audio output to my IEMs.

If I have that ^ wrong, any ideas? Would I need, e.g., to get a sound card first for better source to an eventual DAC? If so, any recommendations?

I have to get surgery on my right ear since I have 'otosclerosis' and severe hearing loss/tinnitus. Though the above would be my primary sound output (by far), is there, 2: a DAC that could have: mic, headphone, speaker in one? And then, I'd be looking for a "good" PC desktop setup - 2 speakers, doesn't need 2.1 (the subwoofer - I live in an NYC apartment). But I'd like to be able to not use my headphones for the weeks/months after the surgery, and just put on some nice music while I do the never-ending work from home, like many of you do I'm sure.

I think before people used to ask for budgets: I'd be fine spending probably up to 3000 or so, for the DAC, speakers and mic (I'm thinking the Shure SM7B - so if this can plug into the DAC that would be great). But I'm flexible - if it can be done well for less - great. If there's 'hanging fruit' I can get by increasing the budget I'm happy to as well.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post. My wallet is ready!
But the microphone you mention, the Shure SM7B, is extremely insensitive. There aren't many audio interfaces that can amplify it to high enough levels for speech. Usually it is used with either a separate microphone preamp (e.g. Focusrite ISA one) or a "mic activator" (e.g. Cloudlifter). If you're not prepared to do that, look for an audio interface which microphone preamps have at least +70 dB gain. (They are rare and expensive.)

You need an audio interface or mixer for the mic. I was on the search for something that could serve as an audio interface/proper dac and amp, but wasn't very fruitful research. You may find better luck having a separate interface (Universal Audio Apollo Twin is pretty nice for production) and dac/amp independent that can feed into whatever audio. As for what combo works the best collectively, is hard to say.

I would somewhat disagree with Average Frequency about the SM7B insensitivity. SM7B is a good mic if you know how to use it properly, and it definitely isn't a prereq to be driven with over 70 db to get clean and detailed sound. SM7B a staple in many music production studios and podcasts alike for good reason. Considering it is a dynamic microphone, it doesn't need phantom power (unlike most condensers) which can make picking an audio interface that can bump the gain to your liking a bit easier in terms of options. The suggestion to jump to a condenser mic puts you in the same predicament of needing a preamp/phantom power and a dedicated interface or mixer to channel it to your computer. AND the sensitivity that a good condenser will have will be wasted in most cases due to poor room treatment, causing unwanted sounds to creep that need eq'd and comped in post. Dynamic mics typically win out nontreated rooms due their pickup patterns and focus on the sound source. The simplest solution would be to get a decent USB mic if you really didn't want to go with XLR cables, interface and the hassle that comes with that sometimes.

Sep 2, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #23 of 37
You need an audio interface or mixer for the mic. I was on the search for something that could serve as an audio interface/proper dac and amp, but wasn't very fruitful research. You may find better luck having a separate interface (Universal Audio Apollo Twin is pretty nice for production) and dac/amp independent that can feed into whatever audio. As for what combo works the best collectively, is hard to say.

I would somewhat disagree with Average Frequency about the SM7B insensitivity. SM7B is a good mic if you know how to use it properly, and it definitely isn't a prereq to be driven with over 70 db to get clean and detailed sound. SM7B a staple in many music production studios and podcasts alike for good reason. Considering it is a dynamic microphone, it doesn't need phantom power (unlike most condensers) which can make picking an audio interface that can bump the gain to your liking a bit easier in terms of options. The suggestion to jump to a condenser mic puts you in the same predicament of needing a preamp/phantom power and a dedicated interface or mixer to channel it to your computer. AND the sensitivity that a good condenser will have will be wasted in most cases due to poor room treatment, causing unwanted sounds to creep that need eq'd and comped in post. Dynamic mics typically win out nontreated rooms due their pickup patterns and focus on the sound source. The simplest solution would be to get a decent USB mic if you really didn't want to go with XLR cables, interface and the hassle that comes with that sometimes.

Did you look at the Presonus Clarett 2Pre? It has nice clean preamps for the mic, the headphone amp is really powerful, and the AD/DA is really good for the price.

As to the SM7B, you're not going to get it to sing when all you have is 60 dB of amplification. That would suffice for recording snare drum with it, but for voice it won't. Trust me I tried. If you use it on an underpowered audio interface with 60 dB gain, then you'll have to crank the preamps to the max. (Because it has a sensitivity of -59 dB.) Which increases their noise floor. Which is a shame when you're using a 400 Euro mic... And then you'll still end up with a signal that's quite thin. Nah, if you're going to buy that kind of mic, don't skimp on the preamp.

Condensers don't need 70 dB of gain, so they work well with all kinds of preamps, even the ones in audio interfaces. Saying that the sensitivity of a condenser will make it pick up more room acoustics is a myth. The sensitivity means it needs less preamp gain to get to the same level. The pickup pattern determines what the mic picks up, the sensitivity determines how much gain it needs.

BTW it's quite hard to find an interface that doesn't have phantom power these days. I find that a really weak argument. The more so because the phantom power could be used for a much needed signal booster like the Cloudlifter...

You say that Apollo Twin is nice for production but you don't know if Ordeith is into production. All he mentioned was casting. And you better read this... https://uadforum.com/support-troubl...lo-twin-user-question-about-mic-pre-gain.html

Sep 2, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #24 of 37
Did you look at the Presonus Clarett 2Pre? It has nice clean preamps for the mic, the headphone amp is really powerful, and the AD/DA is really good for the price.

As to the SM7B, you're not going to get it to sing when all you have is 60 dB of amplification. That would suffice for recording snare drum with it, but for voice it won't. Trust me I tried. If you use it on an underpowered audio interface with 60 dB gain, then you'll have to crank the preamps to the max. (Because it has a sensitivity of -59 dB.) Which increases their noise floor. Which is a shame when you're using a 400 Euro mic... And then you'll still end up with a signal that's quite thin. Nah, if you're going to buy that kind of mic, don't skimp on the preamp.

Condensers don't need 70 dB of gain, so they work well with all kinds of preamps, even the ones in audio interfaces. Saying that the sensitivity of a condenser will make it pick up more room acoustics is a myth. The sensitivity means it needs less preamp gain to get to the same level. The pickup pattern determines what the mic picks up, the sensitivity determines how much gain it needs.

BTW it's quite hard to find an interface that doesn't have phantom power these days. I find that a really weak argument. The more so because the phantom power could be used for a much needed signal booster like the Cloudlifter...

You say that Apollo Twin is nice for production but you don't know if Ordeith is into production. All he mentioned was casting. And you better read this... https://uadforum.com/support-troubl...lo-twin-user-question-about-mic-pre-gain.html
Valid points all around. I still find the mic sensitivity on condensers to pick up more room noise (or even outside noise depending on where I've lived) than my dynamic mic usage overall. Have the AC on, refrigerator exists, air vent, TV on in a different room of the house or only in a one bedroom apartment? Anything that caused ambient noise would be nice and crispy in the background. Obviously you can adjust the gain to be quieter and avoid having an omnidirectional pickup, and process out the ambience in post. But in my experience, it's a tad more difficult to achieve the quality and tone desired in any sort of noisy/poorly treated environment. Not impossible though. Have a great room setup and none of those issues whatsoever, you can use whatever your preference is without much of a hassle.

Also the Apollo was more of a general production suggestion than fully considering the scope of being a one stop shop for the SM7B. Perhaps a bit over the top for simple casting, I agree. Could rotate the budget around to get a more budget friendly preamp paired with most functional audio interfaces and be fine to use the SM7B.

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #25 of 37
Hi all,

Just wanted to provide an update:

1. I am very, very happy with my 2x Genelec 8030Cs + Genelec 7050C sub. I think to answer the initial question about "Quality PC audio", it is a 'resounding yes'.
2. The RME ADI-2 DAC - both the IEM output, headphone output (I was able to try Audeze LCD 4Z for a week!) are fantastic.

It is the new year, and I'm looking at finishing this setup with an audio interface and the mic. I tried a few mics, even some nice Neumann ones here in Germany on vacation, but I think for my use case a shotgun mic like the Sennheiser MKH416.

Hope you're all doing well.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #26 of 37
people generally start with monitoring speakers and then move away to something that sounds more pleasing - audiophile focused not critical monitoring. I will give you 6-12 months before you sell and get something that sounds more pleasing.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #28 of 37
I greatly enjoy my KRK, JBL, and Yamaha 8" monitors. Thing thing is if you are sitting at a desk, nearfield monitors are excellent.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #29 of 37
I bet you've never heard monitors this expensive. They are absolutely amazing.
$1500/pr for powered speakers are pretty low end in terms of audiophile use case, TBH. I wouldn't even start considering powered speakers until $10k. I think ATC is good for that application; I like their powered monitors. Dynaudio makes desktop powered speakers for working professionals; sounds okay from an audiophile perspective.

Edit: If I had to use small speakers, I would just get a pair of Harbeth P3ESR and pair that with a good class A from First Watt/Pass Labs and a cheap $1k DAC and call it a day.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back