Quality On/Over ear headphones under $275ish
Dec 18, 2012 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

phooy1

New Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi!
So I've been trying to convince my parents to get me the newly released v-moda m-100's for the holiday season, but to no avail. They think that $310 is way too much for a 15 year old. So I'm hoping I can find another great headphone in a lower range, but still a great headphone. 

I listen to just about everything, but I'm more into late 90's - 2008ish pop/electronic music. I'm not a big fan of bass, but a slighter bass boost would be good. So like no XB500's. Ideally something close to the specs of the m-100 because it is really durable and sounds good to my ideal genres.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Cheaper than the M-100s is the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. They are just as stylish and they're extremely portable. They retail for $200, so a $100 drop in price might convince your parents to get you them. I think they're excellent headphones and they are good for a wide variety of music mainly due to their adjustable ports.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Cheaper than the M-100s is the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. They are just as stylish and they're extremely portable. They retail for $200, so a $100 drop in price might convince your parents to get you them. I think they're excellent headphones and they are good for a wide variety of music mainly due to their adjustable ports.

Those seem cool, but how's the noise isolation on them (yes they're closed back but not necessarily good at isolating). Also, do you know where, if any, is there more of an emphasis on the bass, mids, or highs? Are they comfortable? And are they durable?

Thanks a ton!

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #4 of 8
And actually, I'm thinking about just going with the m-80's, because the price is super low on them, and they're still kick-ass cans. Would that be a viable choice or should I go with something a little different?

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Those seem cool, but how's the noise isolation on them (yes they're closed back but not necessarily good at isolating). Also, do you know where, if any, is there more of an emphasis on the bass, mids, or highs? Are they comfortable? And are they durable?

Thanks a ton!

The isolation is actually surprisingly good. Leakage is nearly non-existent and they isolate the outside world very well. I've read that they have 18dB of isolation which is pretty good.

I don't know exactly what you're asking about the emphasis, but the cans do have a bit of a recess around the 16,000 Hz range which causes it to be a less bright-sounding set. To some that's a good thing because high-pitched cans can be kind of fatiguing. In my opinion from listening to the M-80s and the Custom One Pros, the COPs are much better sounding (and more versatile) and they are more fun to listen to. They are very comfortable to wear and are extremely durable. They are made almost entirely out of metal.

You really should consider them because in my honest opinion, they are a lot better than the M-80s. Not to say that the M-80s are bad, but the COPs do so many things so well that they really will be able to satisfy any type of musical craving that you have.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks! They're both around the same right now at amazon. I'll talk to my mom. In the meantime, I'll start a new thread comparing the headphones, just so that I can get comparisons between the two from more people

Much appreciated!

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Actually to be honest, I would stay away from the Vmodas. Unless you are taking them into a war zone, you shouldn't even look at them. 

Another good option would be the AKG K550s http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006IBILRO/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

You might really want to consider open headphones though. They are SOOOOOO much better than closed headphones in terms of sound quality. If you are just sitting in your room with open headphones, then close the door and you will be fine. Your call though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back