Quality of $200 NuForce Icon Amp/DAC?
Jul 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

DeusEx

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering to buy a NuForce Icon preamp/amp/DAC for my PC audio setup, powering some Energy RC-10 bookshelf speakers...also considering to buy a pair of AKG K702 and DT770/80 Pros, does anyone have any experience with the headphone amp or USB DAC on the NuForce? I understand it uses a Burr-Brown PCM2706 DAC chip....is that good? This is probably in comparison to Heed Canamp/Audio-gd Compass
I'm doing this because I don't really want to spend another $2-300 on a deidicated headphone amp and DAC, if the NuForce is decent enough...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/ba...-setup-432304/
This is my thread in the PC Audio subforum..

NuForce Stereophile Magazine review

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 55
I own both the NuForce Icon and AKG K701.

I would not use the Icon as a headphone amp, it's a good amp if use with speakers but the headphone output is bad, at least for the K701.

I am using the Icon as a DAC/preamp, plug the USB to the computer then the line out to my tube amp.

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the NuForce Icon and AKG K701.

I would not use the Icon as a headphone amp, it's a good amp if use with speakers but the headphone output is bad, at least for the K701.

I am using the Icon as a DAC/preamp, plug the USB to the computer then the line out to my tube amp.

Why is it bad? Describe sound?

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #7 of 55
My friend got one to use as a preamp for his speakers, as well as occasionally as a headphone amp. I tested it once when I went over to his house.

The headphone amp section, from MY point of view, is not that great. I brought my EH350's to his house (he has a lot of DJ equipment which I wanted to try out), and the soundstage and details just didn't seem that great compared to my Zero. It might be because I'm biased or because the music was different from what I listen to at home, but it really didn't seem like it was worth the money. From what I've heard he's satisfied with it as a preamp though. And it looks really, really nice in person.

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by sochee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend got one to use as a preamp for his speakers, as well as occasionally as a headphone amp. I tested it once when I went over to his house.

The headphone amp section, from MY point of view, is not that great. I brought my EH350's to his house (he has a lot of DJ equipment which I wanted to try out), and the soundstage and details just didn't seem that great compared to my Zero. It might be because I'm biased or because the music was different from what I listen to at home, but it really didn't seem like it was worth the money. From what I've heard he's satisfied with it as a preamp though. And it looks really, really nice in person.

lol...probably both...its look is one of the deciding factors for me...I'd get the Zero or Compass if they didn't have QC issues...but the NuForce incorporates a speaker amp, preamp, headphone amp, and dac all-in-one....makes everything more simple, takes up significantly less space also...just wondering if the DAC and headphone amp section are good enough to match a K702 (and also a dt770/80)...

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 55
I researched it a bit when I was seriously considering getting it (along with the speakers, which ultimately I turned down because I didn't see how they could be great with just one cone), and it seemed pretty nice.

This is just my personal opinion (as is almost everything in the audio world), but judging from history and other people's opinions Nuforce makes solid amps. These amps are catered towards the higher echelons of audio equipment and are very expensive, but show that the makers obviously know what they are doing.

Seeing that the general audio trend is going more towards lower quality sound/iPods and the like, they came out with this line as "affordable" sound quality - it's dumbed down and might suffer from cheaper components compared to their top-of-the-line $5,000 amps, but the manufacturers and creators have plenty of experience to make up for it, and don't try to rip people off. (I think I actually saw Jason or someone else post something about the "iPod" age).

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 55
Yeah, I wasn't even planning on getting the speakers (have Energy RC-10, ~$600)...NuForce does make solid upper-class amps. Are you saying that the Icon might be "iPod quality"?

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 55
No, I'm just saying they're partly catering to the "iPod"/budget crowd who have a bunch of MP3s they want to sound better. If you look at all their product descriptions for the Icon line, they mention the ability to connect to an iPod, something not many other "audiophile" DAC/amp makers do. Their homepage states "Our mission is to bring high-end sound quality to the consumer-electronics market, price-points notwithstanding."

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 55
If memory serves me correctly, the Icon uses class D speaker amps and a completely discreet circuit for the headphone section. At that price, the headphone section is almost certainly based on op amps. Given how cheap even the most sophisticated opamps are, you'd have to ask yourself why a company like Nuforce, with a reputation to protect, would put a bad one in the Icon. I suspect that what you have in the Icon as a headphone amp is the Icon's very clean, quiet preamp and a very good opamp for bumping the headphone section up to drive levels. I expect those who think it is crappy are hearing the price tag. But there is no need to base your decision on my expectations or their impressions if you can find a Nuforce dealer with a decent return policy. Get one. See how you like it. Return it if you don't.

P

Jul 22, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #15 of 55
Im using the Icon at the office averyday, and has been for 6 months.
its a great amp, driving my PSB Alpha B1, and mostly the Denon 1001.
As I have never compared the DAC and the HPAmp with anything but the onboard one, its hard to describe any differences, but, Im really happy with the quality of the sound. If, and I meen it, your not happy, its got line outs, so you can hook it to something more powerful.

Sounds good, looks good!
item.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back