Quality of $200 NuForce Icon Amp/DAC?
Jul 28, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #31 of 55
I see....would a Heed Canamp or iBasso D10 just destroy the NuForce headphone amp?

Anyone one else have DAC comparisons? Is the BB PCM2706 a good chip?

Jul 28, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #32 of 55
I have some Icon impressions and put links to them in my public profile "about me" section. Go check the links out.

One thing to add is that the headphone out was not very good out of the box, but even 24 hours of burn-in made a big difference. It is much better after burn-in, and sounds as decent as any other $200 desktop amp headphone out. The speaker out is great for driving my Stax transformers, sounding well above it's cost.

Jul 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #33 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some Icon impressions and put links to them in my public profile "about me" section. Go check the links out.

One thing to add is that the headphone out was not very good out of the box, but even 24 hours of burn-in made a big difference. It is much better after burn-in, and sounds as decent as any other $200 desktop amp headphone out. The speaker out is great for driving my Stax transformers, sounding well above it's cost.

That's a significantly different opinion that most of the posts here...hope this is confirmed,as the NuForce saves me space and money (compared to getting a separate DAC, speaker amp, and headphone amp)! I checked out the links too....What would you compare the DAC to?
I'm hopefully driving AKG K702/DT770...will the Icon be enough?

Jul 29, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a significantly different opinion that most of the posts here...hope this is confirmed,as the NuForce saves me space and money (compared to getting a separate DAC, speaker amp, and headphone amp)! I checked out the links too....What would you compare the DAC to?
I'm hopefully driving AKG K702/DT770...will the Icon be enough?

Please read my posts in those two Nuforce threads that I linked to in my profile. Everything I have to say is there.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/nuf...ml#post4413457

and

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4409007-post25.html and read the next several posts

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #35 of 55
I feel that the Icon is pretty darn good.
There are better amps, DACs and HP amps, but i guess the Icon combo is pretty unbeatable.

Or you can put it this way: You simply cannot find anything like it at the same cost.

Jul 29, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #36 of 55
headphoneaddict, you compare the NuForce headphone amp to Meier HeadSix ($160),iBasso D2 ($160), and Apogee mini-DAC ($700)? Do you have the upgraded PSU unit?

"At this point I am really liking the Nuforce as a headphone amp, very much. I highly recommend it - it seems to drive ALL of my headphones well, including HD600, D2000, RS-1, Yamaha HP-1, Edition 9, etc... They could be charging twice as much money and I would still buy one."

What I want to know is that can the NuForce drive the K702 cleanly? I'm not talking Heed Canamp level, but can it give it enough power so the K702s sound acceptable?
For speakers, I'm going to drive Energy RC-10, which should be a good match (88dB)

Also, what does the preamp on the NuForce do? Just control volume? Why is there a preamp out? Is it used to connect to other DACs/amps?

P.S. As it is a Class D amp, is there noise/static?

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #37 of 55
Quote:

No, its not. The speaker-amp is tough.

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #38 of 55
Quote:

headphoneaddict, you compare the NuForce headphone amp to Meier HeadSix ($160),iBasso D2 ($160), and Apogee mini-DAC ($700)? Do you have the upgraded PSU unit?

"At this point I am really liking the Nuforce as a headphone amp, very much. I highly recommend it - it seems to drive ALL of my headphones well, including HD600, D2000, RS-1, Yamaha HP-1, Edition 9, etc... They could be charging twice as much money and I would still buy one."

What I want to know is that can the NuForce drive the K702 cleanly? I'm not talking Heed Canamp level, but can it give it enough power so the K702s sound acceptable?
For speakers, I'm going to drive Energy RC-10, which should be a good match (88dB)

Also, what does the preamp on the NuForce do? Just control volume? Why is there a preamp out? Is it used to connect to other DACs/amps?

I have not tried it with K701, so I don't know. When I had a pair for a week my only amps were iBasso D1 and DarkVoice 336i and neither one worked well with them.

The Pre-amp out just controls volume and would be to drive a powered subwoofer, or another amp driving a sub or speakers.

I don't hear noise with it.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #39 of 55
OK...good news about the noise issue then...Do you have the upgraded PSU unit?

You did try the HD600 though...aren't those as hard to drive as K702?

The DAC is a Burr-Brown PCM2706...anyone know anything about it? Is it a decent chip?

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #40 of 55
Quote:

OK...good news about the noise issue then...Do you have the upgraded PSU unit?

The DAC is a Burr-Brown PCM2706...anyone know anything about it? Is it a decent chip?

Just to clarify one point on the "noise issue", it is a valid concern if you are also running speakers. Nuforce themselves state "Caution: If you have high efficiency speakers with sensitivity > 92db, you might hear high frequency switching noise", and I can confirm from personal experience that this basically translates to hiss. I had audible, and ultimately annoying hiss with 94dB sensitivity speakers, so sold them on and replaced them with some KEF Coda 7s (91dB sensitivity) which have been absolutely free of any hiss or other noise.

In terms of headphones, I have only used mine with MS1s, and they seem to have a nice synergy. As others note above, for a do-it-all (DAC, headphone amp, speaker amp) option, the icon is pretty tough to beat for the price. With that in mind, I wouldn't get too hung up on the type of DAC chip it uses.

Lastly, if you're wanting to know what difference the uprated power supply would make (I don't have one), the general consensus out there seems to be that it gives you a slightly broader soundstage, and a bit more weight to the sound.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by 40Hz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify one point on the "noise issue", it is a valid concern if you are also running speakers. Nuforce themselves state "Caution: If you have high efficiency speakers with sensitivity > 92db, you might hear high frequency switching noise", and I can confirm from personal experience that this basically translates to hiss. I had audible, and ultimately annoying hiss with 94dB sensitivity speakers, so sold them on and replaced them with some KEF Coda 7s (91dB sensitivity) which have been absolutely free of any hiss or other noise.

In terms of headphones, I have only used mine with MS1s, and they seem to have a nice synergy. As others note above, for a do-it-all (DAC, headphone amp, speaker amp) option, the icon is pretty tough to beat for the price. With that in mind, I wouldn't get too hung up on the type of DAC chip it uses.

Lastly, if you're wanting to know what difference the uprated power supply would make (I don't have one), the general consensus out there seems to be that it gives you a slightly broader soundstage, and a bit more weight to the sound.

My Energy RC-10 are rated 88dB, so should be fine - thanks for informing me.

So the PSU doesn't make that big of a difference? Also, can the NuForce be modded in any way later on?

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #42 of 55
Quote:

So the PSU doesn't make that big of a difference? Also, can the NuForce be modded in any way later on?

I'm not comfortable saying the PSU doesn't make that big a difference, since I have no direct experience with it - my comment was really directed to what I have gleaned from opinions elsewhere. Nuforce certainly seem to think it makes a worthwhile difference, and from positive experience I do have with an uprated power supply for another 'budget' USB DAC (the Fubar), I plan to get one in a while. So far as modifications are concerned, I don't plan to tinker with my Icon, and have not read anything about what can / cannot be achieved with a soldering iron...

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #43 of 55
Hold on - I think I just changed my mind on totally different headphones - was looking for something that could give a visceral, engaging presentation, with musicality in mind. The AKG I think will be too analytical/neutral...I think I'm going to go with Denon D2000. Is it better or worse than K701/2 in terms of amp needs? How would the NuForce amp power those? Sorry for the change of heart! Head-Fi tends to mess around with my needs and wants XD

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please read my posts in those two Nuforce threads that I linked to in my profile. Everything I have to say is there.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/nuf...ml#post4413457

and

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/4409007-post25.html and read the next several posts

Quote:

Hold on - I think I just changed my mind on totally different headphones - was looking for something that could give a visceral, engaging presentation, with musicality in mind. The AKG I think will be too analytical/neutral...I think I'm going to go with Denon D2000. Is it better or worse than K701/2 in terms of amp needs? How would the NuForce amp power those? Sorry for the change of heart! Head-Fi tends to mess around with my needs and wants XD

D2000 work well with Nuforce.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #45 of 55
I'm pretty interested in the Icon also. Space is valuable, and having something so small driving my speakers would be very nice.

How is the line-out though? Has anyone used it as strictly a DAC and how is the quality of the DAC compared to say, the Zero?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back