Quality headphones that don't shread. Is there such a thing.
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tokyodan

New Head-Fier
I got two sets of mid-level headphones, $200.00 to $300.00. And the ear pads and the headbands of both are peeling so badly that they leave pieces of the fake leather covering on my ears and in my hair. I know the earpads can be replaced. but not the headbands. Therefore...

are there headphones of such a quality level that the ear pads and headbands don't peel? And if so what are they and in what price range?

Attachments

• DSC_0130.JPG
    DSC_0130.JPG
    790.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0131.JPG
    DSC_0131.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 9
I hear that Japan is very humid.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 9
I got two sets of mid-level headphones, $200.00 to $300.00. And the ear pads and the headbands of both are peeling so badly that they leave pieces of the fake leather covering on my ears and in my hair. I know the earpads can be replaced. but not the headbands. Therefore...

are there headphones of such a quality level that the ear pads and headbands don't peel? And if so what are they and in what price range?
I use sheepskin pads, especially Dekoni
I also have tried several types of headband covers, but can’t find any real leather.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #4 of 9

No matter the material used, all headband and pads will degrade overtime with constant use. That is why I always use a headband cover with all my headphones. And pads are replaceable (mostly) for a reason. Besides the pad material peeling off, they will also compress overtime which can impact SQ. So it's best to replace them periodically depending on usage.

Mar 10, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 9

Basically any headphone without leather or pleather (fake/synthetic). I'm sure quality of leather/pleather plays a role but a materials like velour should last longer. A ton of "audiophile" headphones are pretty durable and a good portion of them have removable pads and head cushions as well. Two well-known headphones that are known to last long are the Sennheiser HD-6XX series and the Beyerdynamic line-up. I have heard stories about how the foam in the pads will only compress after several years. Also, the Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic pads and headband are removable and the replacement parts are available. There are options similar to these at a lower and higher budget (I.E a $40 headphone with a metal headband with replacement pads costing ~$5 for 3 pairs or a $1100 headphone costing $200 replacement pads per pair).

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 9

You just might settle with a headband wrap with that, I’ve seen those things. Also, is that an msr7b by any chance? If so, that’s still my personal top choice in that price bracket.

Mar 11, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Screenshot_20230311-142010-306.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back