Quality full sized dac/amps
Jul 20, 2009 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Do you guys know of any good full size dac/amps? (in one device).

The only ones I've heard of are:

EF-2
Corda Cantate, Symphony, etc.
Zero DAC/Amp
Compass DAC/Amp
DAC1

None of which are better than my setup (FWIR), or way out of my price range.

I would like to get something to replace my D10 + Gilmore Lite as it I feel I would rather have just 1 device that is a dac and an amp at the same time.
Recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks!

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Do you guys know of any good full size dac/amps? (in one device).

The only ones I've heard of are:

EF-2
Corda Cantate, Symphony, etc.
Zero DAC/Amp
Compass DAC/Amp
DAC1

None of which are better than my setup (FWIR), or way out of my price range.

I would like to get something to replace my D10 + Gilmore Lite as it I feel I would rather have just 1 device that is a dac and an amp at the same time.
Recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks!

Headroom Desktop amps
Grace m902

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 15
All those recommendations look great, only they exceed my budget by $1000+
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 15
You're putting forth kind of a tough task - you already have a $250 DAC and $400 amp, making significant quality improvements without spending much more money kind of a difficult task, especially in a market with (as you've noticed) a relatively limited number of offerings.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 15
Keep your amp and upgrade the source is my advice. Look at a better DAC in the 500US range and under. Going to a one box combo is step backwards (at best a side grade) in SQ from what you now have.

I can think of a couple options in the DAC arena already ....PM me if you are interested in some suggestions (used and new).

Peete.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 15
I'd think about a Dacmagic or Paradisea rather than going one box and downgrading your setup. One box is convenient, but that's its main benefit.

Jul 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #9 of 15
i just got a PS Audio DLIII and i like it a lot. other $200-1000 choices of course are the FubarII/III, DacMagic, Paradisea, Music Hall, Channel Islands Audio VDA-2, Stello da100, dac1, da10, etc.

check this out, i just found it a few days ago:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/al...pt-2-a-325941/

and this (in case you want to try balance in the future):
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/dac...utputs-431118/

edit: whoops just noticed you wanted amp/dac in one. the first link has a lot of dacs that have amps built in though. the Beresford 7520 is a real nice all-in-one. it sounds okay driving the HD650, but i prefer it with my Grado's. It sounds very analog, so if that is what you like, you should give it a try.

i actually just ordered a D10 for use with my laptop and on the go. i will be able to make a comparison in a few weeks.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 15
Is it just me, or is there an absence of decent solid state DAC+amp boxes that have optical and USB in in the $300-$600 price range?

Maybe I am missing something, but I feel like from 0-300 you have a bunch of mobile and cheap DAC+amps, and the high-quality full-size desktop DAC/amp boxes start at round $1000. I'm getting a pair of HD555s and I don't want to drive them with a Zero, but it looks like there's not that much choice for a DAC+amp with optical/USB input after you pass the EF2/Zero/Compass, and until you get to the $1000 mark.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sochee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me, or is there an absence of decent solid state DAC+amp boxes that have optical and USB in in the $300-$600 price range?

Maybe I am missing something, but I feel like from 0-300 you have a bunch of mobile and cheap DAC+amps, and the high-quality full-size desktop DAC/amp boxes start at round $1000. I'm getting a pair of HD555s and I don't want to drive them with a Zero, but it looks like there's not that much choice for a DAC+amp with optical/USB input after you pass the EF2/Zero/Compass, and until you get to the $1000 mark.

Well, the Compass is about $380 including freight so it sits pretty nicely within your $300-600 price range. Higher up in price I guess it tends to sepearate units instead.

I have a feeling you can max out your 555s with a fairly cheap combo, no nead to look into the >$1000 segment...

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the Compass is about $380 including freight so it sits pretty nicely within your $300-600 price range. Higher up in price I guess it tends to sepearate units instead.

I have a feeling you can max out your 555s with a fairly cheap combo, no nead to look into the >$1000 segment...

I know, I can't afford, nor do I want, to look into that segment
triportsad.gif
I read in some thread that the Compass has the same reliability issues as the Zero, but I guess that guy was wrong, because I've just read up on it and it seems fine. I'm looking into getting one, except that I don't like the look.

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sochee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know, I can't afford, nor do I want, to look into that segment
triportsad.gif
I read in some thread that the Compass has the same reliability issues as the Zero, but I guess that guy was wrong, because I've just read up on it and it seems fine. I'm looking into getting one, except that I don't like the look.

I don't think you have to worry about the quality of the Compass. There might have been a few minor glitches, but nothing like the Zeros problems. It's a great unit - I love mine.

Jul 21, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 15
The Compass is indeed incredibly well-built - it's a frickin tank - plus I'm sure if you had issues Kingwa would be responsive and reasonable, so I wouldn't worry too much about its reliability.

It's probably a side-step at best from your current setup though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back