Quality cans for midrange music.
Mar 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

trentrosa

100+ Head-Fier
So, I have recently purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic dt770 pro 250 ohms. I love them, but would really appreciate a pair of headphones that don't mask the midrange frequencies behind bass and treble. I will be using them to listen to my country music collection :D. Yes, I have different tastes then most of you. However, the dt770 fall short of pleasing in this genre. I am looking for a pair that is not bass heavy. One where the midrange shines. As far as amping, I have a fiio e11 from my iPod and plan on eventually purchasing a schiit stack to use from my laptop. I would like excellent instrument separation, and will purchase both closed or open, it does not matter. I would like them to be comfortable, but I do not expect any pair to have to come close to my beyers, although the headband put too much pressure on the very top of my head. All of my country recordings are mostly on cd and ripped into my computer encoded in wave.

I have been looking at the AKG k550s, Hifiman he-300s, and sennheiser hd598s. Should I be looking elsewhere? I was considering the he-400s but think the bass may get in the way of making my country sound natural. I was also looking into the AKG k701 but often hear they are BORING and cold. Then again, I've heard bad comments on the midrange of the k550s. How I hate differing opinions, you can never get a straight answer. That beauty only comes from the insightful replies MalVeaux gives.

Cheers!

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 14
If you can work with open, I think that is the way to go. Even the similar 880's or 990's in the same range are good.

It might be worth starting with the stack so you can really listen to the phones first, make sure its not your source.

What you say about the 770's sounds right, they are generally V shaped and the mids recessed / veiled.

If your budget can stretch to the HE-400's, I think you'd be happy with the results (post DAC / Amp)

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 14
I love my Sennheiser HD600s with country music. They meet all your sound and comfort requirements I believe. The E11 will do the job, but they will really shine when paired with a Schiit stack. 

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
I love my Sennheiser HD600s with country music. They meet all your sound and comfort requirements I believe. The E11 will do the job, but they will really shine when paired with a Schiit stack. 

Thanks, but the hd600s extend beyond my budget.

Quote:
If you can work with open, I think that is the way to go. Even the similar 880's or 990's in the same range are good.

It might be worth starting with the stack so you can really listen to the phones first, make sure its not your source.

What you say about the 770's sounds right, they are generally V shaped and the mids recessed / veiled.

If your budget can stretch to the HE-400's, I think you'd be happy with the results (post DAC / Amp)

That's great! I really wanted to like the he-400s. I just really want to avoid bassy headphones, that's what my beyers are for. What is the bass like? Does it get in the way of the midrange? I haven't found a decent answer to that question.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
Thanks, but the hd600s extend beyond my budget.

That's great! I really wanted to like the he-400s. I just really want to avoid bassy headphones, that's what my beyers are for. What is the bass like? Does it get in the way of the midrange? I haven't found a decent answer to that question.

HE400's bass is NOT emphasized, it just has a dip in the upper midrange and sizzly upper treble; it is more or less flat from sub-bass all the way to mid-midrange. I'd say even more mid-centric cans like HE500s have more bass quantity than HE400.

Why people praise HE400's bass is because it is a VERY tactile bass, so even if the quantity is very neutral, it gives great impact that other headphones have to tune the bass up to achieve.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #11 of 14
The HE-400 is slightly mid-recessed in that bass and treble notes are notably a step or two in front of the vocals presentation-wise, but vocal music doesn't completely suffer for it, unlike certain other headphones. (At least with velour pads; I have no idea how it sounds with the other pad varieties.)

Still, I have yet to audition a headphone that can surpass my Stax SR-Lambda (Normal bias)'s midrange, which is just sublime. (And ludicrously comfortable, to boot!) Not even its numerical descendants (at least the SR-202 + SRM-212 combo) can, as they seem to have gone for a more HE-400-esque sound signature despite still using the Lambda frame.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 14
As an HE-400 owner, I completely agree with this. Also, the included pleather pads sound the same, but with a little more bass and treble (indeed increasing the V-signature, though remaining slight).
Quote:
The HE-400 is slightly mid-recessed in that bass and treble notes are notably a step or two in front of the vocals presentation-wise, but vocal music doesn't completely suffer for it, unlike certain other headphones. (At least with velour pads; I have no idea how it sounds with the other pad varieties.)

Mar 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Still, I have yet to audition a headphone that can surpass my Stax SR-Lambda (Normal bias)'s midrange, which is just sublime. (And ludicrously comfortable, to boot!) Not even its numerical descendants (at least the SR-202 + SRM-212 combo) can, as they seem to have gone for a more HE-400-esque sound signature despite still using the Lambda frame.

If the mids do happen to be recessed, I may not enjoy them as much as I may enjoy other options, such as the HD600, which most people say are to die for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back