Quality Budget Headphones
Apr 16, 2010 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

R.B.

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, wondering if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction for a nice pair of reasonably priced headphones. I'm not new to the headphone game, but I haven't looked for some time so I'm a little out of the loop.

This pair, in fact, would be a gift. Primarily used via a laptop as well, so nothing that needs amplification to shine.

I was thinking some Goldring DR50s... I've had DR150s in the past and enjoyed them... also the DR50s are only £20 now! Any thoughts? Willing to pay more than this for the right 'phones... maybe up to £40... but can anyone think of something better for a similar price?

Cheers!

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 9
The AKG K44s are about £20 as well. They are very sensitive and so will run fine without an amp. They are closed backed and do not leak much sound. Their clarity is excellent, with a nice bit of bass too. Sometimes they sound a bit odd with resonances caused by their cheap plastic enclosures and the plasticy pads can be a bit sweaty. I would still recommend them.

Of other cheaper headphones I have heard the standouts is the Senn HD201, which is similar to the K44s, but without the same level of detail and less bass. The HD202s, which I have only listened to for a short time are BASS heavy versions of the HD201s, but again lack the detail of the K44s.

Play.com often sell the superb Goldring NS1000, noise reduction headphones for £50. Worth a look.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 9
I've been researching this topic..........and for the money, it seems the Audio-Technica AD700 is pretty hard to beat for under $100.

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the AD700 = very hard to beat for gaming, but for music, I do feel others are better value such as the Audio Technica M50.

Agreed 100%. The AD700s are a monster for gaming purposes, but they aren't all that great for music, IMHO. The M50 fills that gap quite nicely. Though they're $90...

Apr 17, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by autonomous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado SR-60's, no brainer.

X2 on the SR-60s. Also consider the PortaPros. Not as good as the Grados, but a ridiculous bargain at $40, and I've seen them on sale occasionally for less.

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 9
I love the SR60s but you can't get them here for less than £85, and the M50s are even more, unfortunately. NS1000s are a possibility, but the whole battery situation might be an unnecessary complication for this person.

AKG K44s are tempting, but the over heating issue has me leaning towards the DR50s still, I reckon comfort is a fairly major factor here, and the Goldrings are particularly comfy.

I've been looking at Koss UR40s, anyone have experience with them? They seem a pretty decent compromise to me.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 9
Don't know if they are sold in the UK, but look for a thread for JVC HA-RX700, $34 on Amazon. They fit your budget. There are reviews and mods for them if you are into that. I'm wearing them now, straight out of the jack on my Dell desktop at work. My only downside with these is they will make your ears toasty after a while.

I also have ATH-AD700. They are more comfortable, sound better IMO, and all the headphone I need right now. I only listen to music with them, don't game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back