Qualia in LA
Dec 14, 2004 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

foo_me

500+ Head-Fier
With all this Qualia talk recently, just thought I'd pass along a tip for anyone in Los Angeles that wants to demo them instead of driving to Las Vegas or flying to NY.

Sony has a private shopping service called Cierge that demos high end Sony products. You can call 310.244.4000 and ask for the Nik at the Cierge department. They're very helpful about setting up an appointment and giving you time to just sit there and listen to them.

They have both a small and medium sized headphones, but be warned, they have not been burned in.

THe associated equipment that they have are a Sony DVP-NS999ES DVD/SACD Player connected to a home theatre integrated amp ( don't recall model).

As for the sound, all I can say is that to these noob ears, it was WOW and this was even without the highend equipment that others have heard them with. I don't think I can add more than what others have already said about them...mine's on the way from Japan!

I've heard they have other Cierge departments in other cities so you can also ask about that if you're not in LA.

Dec 15, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 13
Congrats man!
biggrin.gif

What will your setup look like?

Dec 15, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 13
I just called them and Kelsie confirmed that the LA location is the only store to carry the Qualia other than Nevada and New York. She was really nice and reiterated that her clientele are of the highest pedigree (she mentioned Steve Jobs and Tom Cruise). She said many recording studio executives and producers have purchased the Qualia headphones and attempted to arrange a meeting with me (and demo that $30K projector as well). "Next time I'm in LA..." I told her.
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by isp
Congrats man!
biggrin.gif

What will your setup look like?

That's the problem...starting from scratch.

I had a grado ps1/mg head otl32/rme digipad, but knew I needed to change once i heard the qualias!

I do miss the ps1...there truly is the deep bass and fun factor to those headphones that is not the same with the qualias.

But still, the detail and soundstage more than makes up for it.

I think I'll be reading the results of the qualia meets and reviews to see which way I'll go as far as my setup goes.

Dec 15, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
She was really nice and reiterated that her clientele are of the highest pedigree (she mentioned Steve Jobs and Tom Cruise).

Interesting. My parents feed pedigree to their dog too! I knew that there was something I liked about Tom Cruise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
"Next time I'm in LA..." I told her.
tongue.gif

Ya, just have her people contact your people and see if you can set something up...
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me
Sony has a private shopping service called Cierge that demos high end Sony products. You can call 310.244.4000 and ask for the Nik at the Cierge department.

This must be "LA Nik" and not our Nik from Italy!!!
cool.gif

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Do you mean meet at their location? if so, i'd be in.

Since I sold off my qualia, seriously thinking about getting another pair...once your hear that detail, it's hard to forget!...although would want to hear it with the black dragon cables before that.

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by foo_me
Do you mean meet at their location? if so, i'd be in.

Since I sold off my qualia, seriously thinking about getting another pair...once your hear that detail, it's hard to forget!...although would want to hear it with the black dragon cables before that.

Yep.

I'd say either late August, or sometime in the late September to October time frame.

Comments I've heard about optimal fitting making a huge difference in sound quality have me interested in hearing them again.

I listened to the Qualia's in Vegas, but this time I want to bring a better headphone rig, amp, source, and all.

-Ed

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 13
Fit and getting a tight seal makes a huge difference. I think that's why most people have been very disappointed when they've heard it.

Even my eye glass frames (they're a little on the thick side...not those really thin wire frames) noticeably affected the sound because they broke the seal.

Aug 3, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 13
I may be in also. Just put me down as a maybe, and once the date is set I'll know better. I may try to talk my way into getting a pair to review.....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back