Quaility Of Ripped CD with a computer's dvd player
Dec 31, 2008 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ajstark

New Head-Fier
I was discussing the iPod and ITransport with my friend. He is under the opinion that the dvd player in my computer is not very good at ripping cd. Therefore my iPod feeding and iTransport will have inferior sound quality.

In his opinion only ripping a cd with a high quailty cd player (a player that costs $2k) can generate a good binary file. He believes that it is better at rotating the cd and will create a better binary file that my DVD player. Is this true? Have I been wasting my time ripping my cd with my computers DVD player?

I am using iTunes to rip my cd to Apple's Losses format. I listen to classical music - I enjoy how my iPod plays the music.

Al

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 11
No, that is not true. A DVD drives rip just as good as a cd drive. The programs you loaded with that drive work okay, don't they? Didn't some come off a cd? A misplaced bit is a bigger problem for a program then a song.

edit- Wanna mess with his head? Tell him that you always defrag the hard drive the files are on, after you rip them, so that they are jitter free and bit perfect!

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 11
Pretty much hogwash. While it really isn't a thoroughly "apples-to-apples" analogy, does your computer's DVD drive randomly corrupt software installations? Likely not, and thus you can be quite sure that you are getting good rips.

In fact, I have both a CD drive and a DVD-RW in my PC, and I rip using the DVD-RW because, for some reason, the CD drive isn't properly recognized by AccurateRip....and 99% of the time, the rips from the DVD-RW are accurate (meaning, the checksum of the resulting .wav file matches that found by other users.)

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 11
Total bull$hit I say.
A DVD drive can rip audio CD's just as well as a CD drive. For what its worth I have been ripping solely on DVD drives the last 5 years, and they have not caused me any problems.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #6 of 11
I think the op needs a bit-perfect friend.
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:53 AM Post #7 of 11
I don't think so. I think the op's friend is already bit-perfect and we are not. Something tells me he is not going to budge.
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm afraid your friend is thinking about real-time audio where there is little or no error correction. When ripping a CD - with whatever program really - there is always some kind of error correction. The amount of error correction does vary and programs like EAC and dBpowerAmp will be able to correct more errors than most others. (depending on how you set it up ofcourse)

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 11
^ You know this thread is about DVD vs. CD drives, right?
That said, I highly recommend Max for ripping audio CD's.
smile.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ You know this thread is about DVD vs. CD drives, right?
That said, I highly recommend Max for ripping audio CD's.
smile.gif

Its about the files output from an 'audiophile' cd player being superior to those from an average dvd-rom drive.

This can easily be disproved using a program like XLD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back