QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Aug 14, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #2,131 of 2,247
Well, I just finished my ERA-1 run. They are a nice headphone. If there is bass in your music, they will present it very well. The clarity is outstanding. And they are probably the easiest to drive planar I have ever had.

If you have a large head and regularly find that headphones don't fit or are too tight for you, man have I got a headphone for you! I cannot put a finger between the headband and my head, but it is a Loose fit. :relaxed:

It is a nice looking headphone that is easy to drive and has great clarity. Also comes with an extra set of pads. Like all planar's they take to bass boost/EQ nicely.

Only downside I can think of is Huge headband. But you adjust to that. If you have a small head, walk away.

Aug 14, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #2,132 of 2,247
Well, I just finished my ERA-1 run. They are a nice headphone. If there is bass in your music, they will present it very well. The clarity is outstanding. And they are probably the easiest to drive planar I have ever had.

If you have a large head and regularly find that headphones don't fit or are too tight for you, man have I got a headphone for you! I cannot put a finger between the headband and my head, but it is a Loose fit. :relaxed:

It is a nice looking headphone that is easy to drive and has great clarity. Also comes with an extra set of pads. Like all planar's they take to bass boost/EQ nicely.

Only downside I can think of is Huge headband. But you adjust to that. If you have a small head, walk away.
Ugh. I just spent $900 to fix my car. I just spent $900 to fix my car. I just spent $900 to fix my car. Gotta repeat this to myself as many times as it takes to not pull the trigger on this headphone.

Aug 14, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #2,133 of 2,247

I agree wholeheartedly.

It's my complementary headphone to my VO.
What the VO is missing in the mids, the Quad is all in. :)
As I've said, the ZMF Universe perforated leather pads give them a better fit, more comfort and a slightly better sound, imo.

Got the Era-1 since mid 2019 in my possession and to me, it's a keeper .

Speaking out of my heard, I'd rate them a touch above the VO for my listening pleasure.
Best 700 € i've spend in my head-fi game till now. :ok_hand:

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #2,134 of 2,247
I agree wholeheartedly.

It's my complementary headphone to my VO.
What the VO is missing in the mids, the Quad is all in. :)
As I've said, the ZMF Universe perforated leather pads give them a better fit, more comfort and a slightly better sound, imo.

Got the Era-1 since mid 2019 in my possession and to me, it's a keeper .

Speaking out of my heard, I'd rate them a touch above the VO for my listening pleasure.
Best 700 € i've spend in my head-fi game till now. :ok_hand:
I like them, but not nearly as much as my HE6se V2's. It is a nice headphone, but I am not overwhelmed by the performance. Not sure on their long term future. I really Have to move out some gear. :relaxed:

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #2,135 of 2,247
Never managed to listen to the HE6(se)(V2), sadly.
But it isn't even necessary, I think.
To find a little piece of heaven in the wide space/ fields of the audio game is what makes us the lucky ones, no matter in which form it manifest. :metal:

Thank you for your honest opinion. :)

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #2,136 of 2,247
Never managed to listen to the HE6(se)(V2), sadly.
But it isn't even necessary, I think.
To find a little piece of heaven in the wide space/ fields of the audio game is what makes us the lucky ones, no matter in which form it manifest. :metal:

Thank you for your honest opinion. :)
That's all it really is, isn't it? Us giving opinions based on our preferences. :relaxed:

To be honest I am very rarely overwhelmed by most headphones that I pick up. About 85% of my headphone purchases range from "It's OK" up to "I do like them."

But Man, do I Love that other 15%!:heart_eyes:

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #2,138 of 2,247
This headphones are amazing!

Since my Sony is the European version (volume cap), I hadn't had the opportunity to make the most of the Quads yet.

Now they are complete with my Ibasso Dx240.

Attachments

• 1000004192.jpg
    1000004192.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #2,140 of 2,247
Imo, the invest for the ZMF Universe Lambskin Perforated pads is a worthwhile upgrade for my beloved Quad.
Not only sound (no major jump from the leather pads), but also comfort has improved the listening experience for me.
Plus, it's not that expensive, imo.

Sep 25, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #2,141 of 2,247
A few weeks of running HQ player with some upsampling for me.
I was a fan of the angled pads way back in the thread ..... but wth some pricier kit and better files later the flat pads are amazing.

This was my finding too. The angled pads are good, but the lambswool ones seem to offer a flatter, but deeper bass response with more resolution of texture with no trade off anywhere else. Especially so when you have 100 hours + on the phones. These are a class piece of kit.

Sep 26, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #2,142 of 2,247
Imo, the invest for the ZMF Universe Lambskin Perforated pads is a worthwhile upgrade for my beloved Quad.
Not only sound (no major jump from the leather pads), but also comfort has improved the listening experience for me.
How do you fasten them?

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,143 of 2,247
The angled pads are good, but the lambswool ones seem to offer a flatter, but deeper bass response with more resolution of texture with no trade off anywhere else.
100%. And then that seperation in the lower octaves too...
I can see where you going with that, ZMF pads are lovely things for comfort. Never had them on the Quad though...

Sep 27, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #2,144 of 2,247
How do you fasten them?
I described it earlier in this thread.

With the mounting rings of the hybrid pads, bc I can't stand suede on my skin and I didn't like them as much as the OG leather pads. :)

See first post on page 140. :wink:

Edit:
My fault.
The pads in the pictures are the Caldera Ultra Perforated ones, which are mounted on my VO atm.

But you get the picture. :wink:

1000025316.jpg
1000025314.jpg
1000025322.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #2,145 of 2,247
I described it earlier in this thread.

With the mounting rings of the hybrid pads, bc I can't stand suede on my skin and I didn't like them as much as the OG leather pads. :)

See first post on page 140. :wink:

Thanks :) I've been thinking about doing that too. I've asked around if anyone would like to produce these but no luck so far.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back