QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Mar 1, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #1,802 of 2,247
Lots of variables here, but I am curious what you are plugging Era-1 into?

What turntable and cartridge are you using and what Quad speakers?
Project x1, ortofon 2m blue stylus on the pick it s2 mm cartridge, aluminium sub platter under the acrylic platter, quad Vena 2, quad S1 speakers with audioquest cables.

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,804 of 2,247
I have old Sony's I could try, but the era-1 still sound great when streaming through the Vena
I was wondering if your preferences have changed inre: headphones.
The fact you still enjoy them *sometimes* probably is related to some technical thing in your setup, or maybe more broadly as the difference between 2-channel and Headphones. ...if it`s the former I hope someone chimes in with advice so you can get back on with enjoying Era-1..

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #1,805 of 2,247
Project x1, ortofon 2m blue stylus on the pick it s2 mm cartridge, aluminium sub platter under the acrylic platter, quad Vena 2, quad S1 speakers with audioquest cables.
Referring to my edited post, it could be that the new cartridge is more detailed, giving the perception of less bass, or equally likely, in view of your speakers, the cartridge could well have a reduced low end response that is only evident below the speakers bottom end roll off.

Mar 1, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #1,806 of 2,247
I was wondering if your preferences have changed inre: headphones.
The fact you still enjoy them *sometimes* probably is related to some technical thing in your setup, or maybe more broadly as the difference between 2-channel and Headphones. ...if it`s the former I hope someone chimes in with advice so you can get back on with enjoying Era-1..
I get you, thanks. Yes, I still love the era-1, they are the only headphone for me. I hope I can rectify the difference and have the improvement the new stylus brings.
Referring to my edited post, it could be that the new cartridge is more detailed, giving the perception of less bass, or equally likely, in view of your speakers, the cartridge could well have a reduced low end response that is only evident below the speakers bottom end roll off.

Ok, I see, thanks for that. The 2m blue certainly is more detailed than the previous one. Is there a way I can manipulate the sound from the era-1 to better suit my tastes, like something between the headphones and the Vena 2?

I'm also noticing an echo in the era-1, most noticeable from drum beats, like if a drum beats in the left, I then hear a faint echo of it in the right. Only whilst using the turntable and also with the Sony's. This isn't normal is it?

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #1,808 of 2,247
I get you, thanks. Yes, I still love the era-1, they are the only headphone for me. I hope I can rectify the difference and have the improvement the new stylus brings.

Ok, I see, thanks for that. The 2m blue certainly is more detailed than the previous one. Is there a way I can manipulate the sound from the era-1 to better suit my tastes, like something between the headphones and the Vena 2?

I'm also noticing an echo in the era-1, most noticeable from drum beats, like if a drum beats in the left, I then hear a faint echo of it in the right. Only whilst using the turntable and also with the Sony's. This isn't normal is it?
There are a number of reasons you could be hearing the echo, it could just be in the recording, but your previous cartridge wasn't picking it up. It may be a bit of groove distortion pushing through from adjacent grooves in the pressing. Maybe even print through if an old analog master tape degraded a bit. What track are you hearing it on? If I can find it on Qobuz, I'll have a listen and see if it's on the recording or a trait of the pressing.

The ERA-1 are extremely resolving and they lay bare very subtle differences between sources, so something as fundamental as a cartridge change will be easily audible.

I just went from Shanling M6 to Mojo 2 and was very aware of the sonic differences. More grunt from the Mojo 2, but less finesse and detail. I now have the Hugo 2 / 2go combination. The differences between this and the other two sources were blatantly obvious. Initially, the very big uplift in information / resolution cage across as bright, but a few days of listening and my brain has adapted and I'm loving the sound. The Hugo 2 / ERA-1 combination finds lots of stuff I never heard before in my digital collection!

Mar 1, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #1,809 of 2,247
^Yep, they are mad lads with volume^. Maybe you are going through one of those stages we all get to when trying out different kit.
Also in a position to get some speakers soon...given the ribbon tweeter on the Adam Audio, Quad S1 is something to look into so thanks for that.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #1,810 of 2,247
Bright, that's a good way of putting how it sounds to me, Chris. Perhaps I just need to get used to the difference also, with such a big change to my system. I just listened to one of my favourite albums up loud and it was incredible.

The echo tho, I can hear across all my records, well the tracks with quiet bits in. It's quite faint tho, but it's there when listening for it. I even had to ask the wife to listen to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Really noticeable on Police Roxanne with the duhh duh of the drums then quiet, echo, 😂. I did hear it previously also but have just got round to mentioning it. It isn't annoying, just wondered. I think I analyse too much and should just enjoy the tunes. 😁

Mar 2, 2022 at 6:16 AM Post #1,811 of 2,247
Bright, that's a good way of putting how it sounds to me, Chris. Perhaps I just need to get used to the difference also, with such a big change to my system. I just listened to one of my favourite albums up loud and it was incredible.

The echo tho, I can hear across all my records, well the tracks with quiet bits in. It's quite faint tho, but it's there when listening for it. I even had to ask the wife to listen to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Really noticeable on Police Roxanne with the duhh duh of the drums then quiet, echo, 😂. I did hear it previously also but have just got round to mentioning it. It isn't annoying, just wondered. I think I analyse too much and should just enjoy the tunes. 😁
On the Police Roxanne track, that trace off the snare is very very audible on the Qobuz version. I wonder if it's just a case of being introduced to a high resolution cartridge?

Mar 6, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #1,813 of 2,247
Any thoughts on what would be could candidates for headphones with similar sound signature to Era-1 but relatively light, closed-back over-ears for on-the-go listening?

As this would be non-critical listening, the sound quality doesn't need to be exactly on par with Era-1 – would be very happy with say getting to 75-80% there. Also as this isn't something I'd be using regularly, the price would be nice to keep clearly lower than Era-1. Would be driving them with Mojo2 from iPhone.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #1,814 of 2,247
Any thoughts on what would be could candidates for headphones with similar sound signature to Era-1 but relatively light, closed-back over-ears for on-the-go listening?

As this would be non-critical listening, the sound quality doesn't need to be exactly on par with Era-1 – would be very happy with say getting to 75-80% there. Also as this isn't something I'd be using regularly, the price would be nice to keep clearly lower than Era-1. Would be driving them with Mojo2 from iPhone.
If you don't have anything against iems you could go for the 7hz timeless, they hold up pretty well against full-size planars. Similar u-shaped signature to the Quad. To my knowledge the lightest planar headphone is the Audeze Sine which you can turn into an over ear design with custom earpads, but personally I wouldn't use mine on the go (in public transports for instance), it's just not so convenient to wear.

Mar 6, 2022 at 9:16 AM Post #1,815 of 2,247
I want to share my experience with another set of aftermarket pads on my Era-1's: Dekoni Elite Sheepskin for Hifiman HE series. These are angled solid lambskin pads with outside dimensions (including thickness) very similar to the stock perforated Quad leather (?) pads. The Dekoni's inner hole is round rather than oval, and has a lower volume compared to the Quad's. Dekoni pads come mounted on a Hifiman plastic retainer ring, which simply pops out. If one has a Quad retainer ring (I have mine from an old pair of velour-pleather Quad pads that were glued onto it, but can be separated with a bit of care), then replacing Hifiman ring with a Quad ring takes a matter of seconds and makes a good fit. Dekoni's have a built-in mesh, which I carefully cut out, since Quad pads do not use one.

Now for the sound: for the obvious reasons Dekoni pads extend the sub-bass response. They do so beautifully, without muddiness or bloat, and add more thump to the drums. In my opinion, the pads do not significantly affect the highs (but I am 58 and so have lost some of the sensitivity in the highs). I feel that the vocals come forward a bit, but the spaciness of the soundstage remains, and the details and the instrument placements are crystal clear. At this point I believe that the pads are an improvement, as I always wished for an extra bit of bass attack and extension from the Quads.

I run the Quads exclusively with my IFI Micro iDSD Black Label in Turbo mode, with XBass and 3D turned on.

Here are the links to the regular and B-stock Dekoni pads I was describing. I bought a B-stock pair and see no issues with it.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-sheepskin-ear-pads-for-hifiman-he-headphones/

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/b-s...ds-for-hifiman-he-series-headphones-and-more/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back