QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,546 of 2,247
The other set sounds a bit brighter to my ears but also a bit faster/sharper. It's a matter of tastes. IMO the ideal pads would be thinner perforated leather pads than the stock ones.
Yeah, I agree with this assessment after trying both. Are spare pads available for the Quads anywhere? These are going to get a lot of use - like a lot.

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #1,549 of 2,247
Funny, I would say it's the opposite. I find the flat velour pads are more mellow and warmer sounding. Even though they're more comfortable I prefer the perforated leather pads cause of more exciting sound. 😄
I never know if I should call these pads bright or mid-centric lol. They do seem like they are lighter on bass anyway. How long have you had yours? I remember I found the velour pads darker at the beginning.

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,551 of 2,247
What type of amp are you guys using with the quads? Does the bass get more punch with a powerful output?

I've found the ERA-1 to be exceptionally easy to pair with an amp. Unlike many planars, it doesn't seem to require a powerful amp to sound great. I've paired mine with two DAPs and four amps at this point, and I've yet to find an amp that makes them sound underpowered. No blurry bass, no thinness, no dynamic compression despite the gear. That's actually pretty amazing. They do scale up with better gear and sound pretty phenomenal on my HPA4, but bass impact tends to stay about the same no matter the amp. Instead, the improvement comes in terms of bass clarity, bass detail, and instrument separation. That visceral oomph is a bit better too, but you really don't need big wattage to power these well.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,553 of 2,247
IAG group which owns Quad will supply pads if you contact customer support. ( At least to me in Uk ).

Inregards to the amp, I have found the a combination of the origional cable and a fully charged Chord Mojo to be the best for Electronic bass.
Perfect. I'm going to contact them now. Thanks

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,554 of 2,247
What type of amp are you guys using with the quads? Does the bass get more punch with a powerful output?
When I got mine I was using an Eximus DP1 dac that has a good and well reviewed headphone amp built in, using just the head amp section with a Chord Qutest/ MScaler combo as the source ...... upgraded to an Icon Audio HP8 valve amp a few moths back and everything improved including bass weight and texture ... this pairing is going nowhere in the foreseeable future...

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #1,556 of 2,247
Not yet.
But i don't headbang with them. ^^

The headband cover with supporting foam underneath adresses my little issue with the headband width perfectly. :)
sketch-1617665486246.png

About bending the headband.
If you're able to, doesn't that imply that the top of the headband will be more loose afterwards?
I know that there're 2 different types of headphone fits.
One goes due to the higher clamping force of the ear cups, where the headband is just a wearing support.
And the other one, where the main weight of the headphone is distributed by the headband and not by the clamping pressure.

The Era-1, by construction, belongs to the second one, i think.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,557 of 2,247
The only other sub 1000 dollar headphone I was still considering trying was the Focal Elex.
I follow the iBasso SR-2 thread and have seen you post that you like them. I have thought about buying a pair of the SR-2 or Quads. What is your thoughts on the two ? Could you tell me how they compare and how they are different ? Thanks

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,558 of 2,247
Not yet.
But i don't headbang with them. ^^

The headband cover with supporting foam underneath adresses my little issue with the headband width perfectly. :)
sketch-1617665486246.png

About bending the headband.
If you're able to, doesn't that imply that the top of the headband will be more loose afterwards?
I know that there're 2 different types of headphone fits.
One goes due to the higher clamping force of the ear cups, where the headband is just a wearing support.
And the other one, where the main weight of the headphone is distributed by the headband and not by the clamping pressure.

The Era-1, by construction, belongs to the second one, i think.
Yes, this was my exact idea. I have that same cover, only in black. I just got it yesterday actually. I'm going keep it on the headband for a few days and let it stretch a bit. I need to find some thin diameter foam to slide inside. I also just purchased a makeshift sus strap off ebay.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,559 of 2,247
I follow the iBasso SR-2 thread and have seen you post that you like them. I have thought about buying a pair of the SR-2 or Quads. What is your thoughts on the two ? Could you tell me how they compare and how they are different ? Thanks
Oh boy. Yes, my two favorite headphones without doubt. In all honesty, the frequency response is very similar of the two. I don't always use EQ, but listening to the Quad using my SR2 EQ settings, it just works and sounds fabulous. Tuning and tonality are very close to my ears.
The Quad has the planar sound, and the SR2 has the dynamic sound. That being said, the SR2 has some planar like qualities, just as the Quad has some dynamic like qualities. Both of them sound kinda like a hybrid, but lean more towards their individual driver types.
The Quad has more speed and attack in it's presentation, while the SR2 isn't quite as aggressive - more of a laid back approach. That being said, the SR2 overly mellow at all. The Quad has a little more weight in it's sound, but the SR2 is not at all thin.
I'd say that the SR2 has a more velvet type of sound, it's very easy to get lost in the music. Both will make you want to get up and move with the music, but the Quad takes it one step further - comes at ya a little stronger. I'd also have to give it a slight edge in separation and detailing, but the SR2 is no slouch. Quad has a little better low end extension, but the SR2 bumps a little harder when the track calls for it. The SR2 has a very slight grain in the top end, but I don't think anyone would notice unless they also listened to the Quad.
I think the mids are a small touch more forward on the SR2, and they are stellar with vocals. Again, the Quad is no slouch here either. Neither headphone sounds stark, bright, shouty, or overly warm or dark. Both are extremely engaging with no artificial coloring. I honestly don't know if I could pick just one.
The Quad leaks more, and the SR2 is the most comfortable set of cans I've ever had. Both will take you where you want to go, it's more so a matter of where you want to go. If I want an extra kick in the butt to get up and clean the house or something, Quad it is. If I want to kick back in the Lazy Boy and jam out, SR2 it shall be. Do you want your coffee to have 300mg of caffeine, or will 500mg do ya better? If your main genres are fast and hard, I'd select the Quad. Though I very well might grab the SR2 for a classic rock ballad. Both are killer imo. The Quad just has a little more zip and zing. Both have great clarity, but I can hear a cymbal crash better on the Quad, yet I can hear kick drum a bit more on the SR2.
Let me know if you have any specific questions. This response is all over the place, as I didn't really think it through - just some thoughts as I type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back