QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jan 20, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #1,427 of 2,247
I shouldn't have post the issue with my cable, i guess. ^^
That can cause some paranoid activities to some. :smile:

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,429 of 2,247
I'm very tempted to request some custom earpads from Vesper Audio for the Quads. I was testing again the @DekoniAudio perforated pads that I have for the HD600, and they work so well with the Quads. They do a great job of taming the top end while keeping the rest super clean. Maybe not the most neutral headphone but they work for me this way. With the stock pads I would definitely prefer the Avantone that I got recently, but now I'm having second thoughts. What amazes me is how technically the Quads completely hold their own against my Stax Lambda Nova. While delivering much more punch and better imaging.

@mobbadict

Dear “mobbadict” you have managed to implement a critical voice in my head regarding output power in headphone amplifiers. May all snow in Norway fall in your arms!

I have therefore yesterday bought a used Pro-ject Head Box II, it fits nicely in a stack with the ones I have. I will have it in the end of this week for testing. But since I already have bought it in the “second-hand market”, I am stuck with it anyway.

I KNOW I have enough power out for my use, but must now physically extinguish the irrational voices as somewhere in the madness says: The more power, the more bass / slam / openness / high / dynamics etc.

Like this quote from DIY- Audio Heaven: "Just like the original LCD-2 this headphone needs to be driven by a decent amplifier. Not really suited to be driven directly from Phones/laptops/tablets but Digital Audio Players with a decent output power should be able to drive this headphone to decent levels."

Decent amplifier? Decent levels! AAAARGH!

I will connect them via RCA-cables out from the PreBox S2, and into the Head Box. Then I use the Prebox as a DAC, and the Headbox as an amplifier, with my headsets plugged into it. The Quads of course will be the main tester. Also throw in some nasty OHMS there for the fun of it.

Mobbadict – beware of the snow! :snowflake::cloud_snow::snowflake::snowman2::snowman:
Not sure why I missed your posts, but congrats on the new amp! I guess your Quad deserved that :)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #1,430 of 2,247
I've noticed unusual imaging as well. For me, it's just a little more 'outside the head' than most other headphone presentations. It's a little unconventional, but still very enjoyable.
Do you mean that it is a kind of very wide sound-spread? Or that sound almost differ in appearance, moving when outside head, og is it fixed? I do not catch that "unusual imaging". Remember, I am a Norwegian, we all walk around with the head in the head, i think. :snowman:

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #1,431 of 2,247
No, I am glad. Because it spurred me on to actually do some tests instead of just sitting looking for something to be not right. But they are right, amazingly good. They are aren't they? 🤣🤣
So they now appear to be balanced in relation to right/left? Maybe you are like me? I am a rabbit-like-jump-to-hell-and-the moon if I notice the slightest microdust of a possible beginning to a possible issue/problem...

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #1,432 of 2,247
Had mine a few months now but the last few weeks I’ve been “running in” an HP8 valve headphone amp from Icon Audio ... and it makes a really nice pairing with the ERA-1’s adding detail to the bass as well as a deeper soundstage ...
with cables I was happy with the supplied cable but when listening from my favourite chair I needed an extension cable to reach, which didn’t sound quite as good, so ended up making a 3.5 metre cable, while preparing I found that although the plug at the headphone end is a 3.5 mm TRS and on the stock cable both the tip and ring are positive at the headphone end, plugging a bare 3.5mm TRS into the headphones and checking with a DMM revealed only the tip makes a connection with the barrel so a two pole plug should work too ...
slightly prefer the new cable over the stock one but noticeably better than the stock plus extension cable ....

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #1,433 of 2,247
I'm very tempted to request some custom earpads from Vesper Audio for the Quads. I was testing again the @DekoniAudio perforated pads that I have for the HD600, and they work so well with the Quads. They do a great job of taming the top end while keeping the rest super clean. Maybe not the most neutral headphone but they work for me this way. With the stock pads I would definitely prefer the Avantone that I got recently, but now I'm having second thoughts. What amazes me is how technically the Quads completely hold their own against my Stax Lambda Nova. While delivering much more punch and better imaging.

Remember "the tunnel of love"? The sandwiches of love in the glued-pads division? I have moderate my self big time since that. But also now I have a more mild solution. I will post a picture of it soon.

As an border-crazy reply to you mention of the pads: I am 100% sure that the distance from the driver to the ear can make a huge difference. But also I have learned that there can be micro-delay etc when experimental with this. Also the fabric of the pads matter, leather/pleather/foam/perforert or not/hard or soft/etc. There are many variables. But - pads really matters!

(Now reading and researching in the cable or not to cable, and its difference or not...)

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #1,434 of 2,247
I was happy with the supplied cable but when listening from my favourite chair I needed an extension cable to reach, which didn’t sound quite as good, so ended up making a 3.5 metre cable, while preparing I found that although the plug at the headphone end is a 3.5 mm TRS and on the stock cable both the tip and ring are positive at the headphone end, plugging a bare 3.5mm TRS into the headphones and checking with a DMM revealed only the tip makes a connection with the barrel so a two pole plug should work too ...
slightly prefer the new cable over the stock one but noticeably better than the stock plus extension cable ....
I am in the making of "cable or not to cable" in my head. Can you please describe in details what is missing sound wise with the stock cable?

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #1,435 of 2,247
I shouldn't have post the issue with my cable, i guess. ^^
That can cause some paranoid activities to some. :smile:
Paranoia? I have professional worked with psychotic disorders etc my whole life! And now, cause of you, I am talking to the cables, they appears real time in front of me. Speaking sad words, singing songs from both well and hell, making me wandering in the snow naked, without shoes, crying over my small blue dick withc has a grim smile in the frost and the snow.

My life is hell cause of your cable or not to cable! I will be back at you here, when my cable or not to cable project is finished. That is if I not die in the snow with cables cuddling my neck in a more crazy paranoid way..., that is, not snuggly down my chest as you earlier described earlier, and now it ALL make sense to me, you earlier honey coated it as "on the chest", but in real cable-time it really ment to be the cable snuggly forcing them selve around my frosty naked neck..., I should hav seen that then, but...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #1,436 of 2,247
Had similar issues with my pair which got worse as time went on.
Ruled out the ear thing by just swapping other phones in and out, plus swapping the cable L/R, wearing them the other way, different sources...and some cotton buds!
For me an issue that my local shop picked up on test gear.. just waiting on Quad warranty now.

Do you find certain frequencies missing out of one side or is it just a reduction in overall Db?
I have one of my two pairs of Quads sent to repair in Germany, on warranty. Contacted the Quad main office in England, and they sent me to Germany. There was no option in Norway with the repairing, so that is so. Bought them from HiFi-Freaks in Denmark, but they are bankrupt.

There has been - also now with new drivers? - an issue with sound-distortion. For me twice on one side with two different pairs. The distortion was "brrrrrr-like" from the midts and down. Most notably in the lower bass. Exactly the same problem with both sets. The left side with the first, the right side with the now Germany-charmed set. This is different from your problem, but just mentioned it.

As long as somebody fix the issue, I am happy.

The Quads are fantastic in all ways, really, I LOVE THEM!

I am mind-****ing my self with the fact that my Quads even getter better as we speaks, they really mature over a long time with slow-cooking, or slow-burning-in. And they are planning to having a birthday party with Chris Kaoss psychotherapist cables in May this year. It is a kind of scary, but, well, say no more.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #1,437 of 2,247
To trigger some more thoughts. :ksc75smile:

sketch-1611215804958.png
sketch-1611215819072.png
sketch-1611215845909.png
sketch-1611215754439.png
sketch-1611216055817.png

Have a great day and enjoy the music y'all listening to. :)

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #1,438 of 2,247
I am in the making of "cable or not to cable" in my head. Can you please describe in details what is missing sound wise with the stock cable?
Nothing really, just wanted a longer cable to reach my favourite chair instead of an extension ....
went with a 3.5 metre length of Mogami star quad microphone cable so I could have two wires per driver all the way back to the amp end, noticed a slight improvement with bass detail and a little fine detail on some tracks over the stock cable, sounded better overall compared to the stock cable with a 2 metre headphone extension cord so ” mission accomplished” ...

Jan 21, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,439 of 2,247
To trigger some more thoughts. :ksc75smile:

sketch-1611215804958.pngsketch-1611215819072.pngsketch-1611215845909.pngsketch-1611215754439.pngsketch-1611216055817.png

Have a great day and enjoy the music y'all listening to. :)
The beautiful knitted headband? Where to buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back