QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #1,411 of 2,247
....I had never in my life thought that "power out!" itself could be so important to the quality of the music experience....

It will be a very simple explanation of the importance of power capability regardless only for amplification in audio.
The amplifier (of course) amplify the audio signal that comes from the source device(s), to give power to move the transducers those makes the audible (analogue) signals for our ears.
Try to imagine this way the situation. If the amplifier have enough power capability then it can grab tightly the transducer and control that moves depending on the incoming signals, and then you can get accurate music reproduction from your amp and speaker set.
This is the reason why the "horse power" doesn't equal to the volume loudness.
When you rise the volume and starts hearing distortion that's never your speakers, that's always the amp (undersized, bad designed amp).
The distortion in this case means not only when the bass starts to be wobble, but when you hear the sound come to be thin and harsh on the upper segment with volume up, that is also the weak amplification.
A good amplification is benefit for any speaker, that's why you hear improvement on your all phones, just the planar transducers request more job from an amp, than moving coil ones.
You never fail with an oversized amplification, but yes with an undersized one.
One more thing here. The phones' impedance on power needs isn't really informative, like the sensitivity. 3dB difference means double volume level, higher is louder.

Jan 15, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #1,412 of 2,247
It will be a very simple explanation of the importance of power capability regardless only for amplification in audio.
The amplifier (of course) amplify the audio signal that comes from the source device(s), to give power to move the transducers those makes the audible (analogue) signals for our ears.
Try to imagine this way the situation. If the amplifier have enough power capability then it can grab tightly the transducer and control that moves depending on the incoming signals, and then you can get accurate music reproduction from your amp and speaker set.
This is the reason why the "horse power" doesn't equal to the volume loudness.
When you rise the volume and starts hearing distortion that's never your speakers, that's always the amp (undersized, bad designed amp).
The distortion in this case means not only when the bass starts to be wobble, but when you hear the sound come to be thin and harsh on the upper segment with volume up, that is also the weak amplification.
A good amplification is benefit for any speaker, that's why you hear improvement on your all phones, just the planar transducers request more job from an amp, than moving coil ones.
You never fail with an oversized amplification, but yes with an undersized one.
One more thing here. The phones' impedance on power needs isn't really informative, like the sensitivity. 3dB difference means double volume level, higher is louder.
Thank you! That was very well explained in words even I can understand!

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,414 of 2,247
Yes, it is.
3.5mm stereo jacks.
Similar to Beyerdynamic T1. :)

That's what i've ordered at Forza Audioworks for my Claire Hybrid and Noir Hybrid.

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #1,415 of 2,247
Yes, it is.
3.5mm stereo jacks.
Similar to Beyerdynamic T1. :)

That's what i've ordered at Forza Audioworks for my Claire Hybrid and Noir Hybrid.
I have heard that stock cables are pretty good. Can you tell what difference the cables you mentioned makes?

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #1,416 of 2,247
I'm not a full believer in sound shaping cables, but i've to admit that there's a subtle noticeable change.
As i've mentoined earlier in this thread, the oem cable isn't that good in the sense of the conductor.
Mine has a little imbalance between left and right, maybe due to a faulty soldering or something, i guess.
Can't make an assumption that this belongs to all oem cables, it's just mine. :wink:

The impedance of my Quad oem cable (8') is:

Left = 1,5r
Right = 0,6r
Ground = 0,6r

The FAW Noir Hybrid (9' with Xlr to se adapter) has:
Left = 0,25r
Right = 0,25r
Ground = 0,2r

Keep in mind that my multimeter is a standard device, non professional. :)
I've already removed the resistance of the multimeter.

Other things to think about is the variance of capacitance of different cables as a whole and the workmanship behind that.

While the Quad oem cable isn't as ugly and stubborn as the Beyerdynamic T1 oem cable, the FAW is miles ahead in terms of comfort and craftsmanship.

It flows like silk down my chest and can be wound very finely.

If you're curios about it, i'd advice to wait for Black Friday sale on Forza Audioworks to get it 30% off. :wink:
Bought mine for less than 245 € instead of 350 €.
The 3.5 to xlr extender charged me another 114 €.
For me, it is worth every cent. :)

I'm fully satisfied with and it fits to the Quad, D9200 and SEM5, which is a great benefit.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #1,418 of 2,247
I'm not a full believer in sound shaping cables, but i've to admit that there's a subtle noticeable change.
As i've mentoined earlier in this thread, the oem cable isn't that good in the sense of the conductor.
Mine has a little imbalance between left and right, maybe due to a faulty soldering or something, i guess.
Can't make an assumption that this belongs to all oem cables, it's just mine. :wink:

The impedance of my Quad oem cable (8') is:

Left = 1,5r
Right = 0,6r
Ground = 0,6r

The FAW Noir Hybrid (9' with Xlr to se adapter) has:
Left = 0,25r
Right = 0,25r
Ground = 0,2r

Keep in mind that my multimeter is a standard device, non professional. :)
I've already removed the resistance of the multimeter.

Other things to think about is the variance of capacitance of different cables as a whole and the workmanship behind that.

While the Quad oem cable isn't as ugly and stubborn as the Beyerdynamic T1 oem cable, the FAW is miles ahead in terms of comfort and craftsmanship.

It flows like silk down my chest and can be wound very finely.

If you're curios about it, i'd advice to wait for Black Friday sale on Forza Audioworks to get it 30% off. :wink:
Bought mine for less than 245 € instead of 350 €.
The 3.5 to xlr extender charged me another 114 €.
For me, it is worth every cent. :)

I'm fully satisfied with and it fits to the Quad, D9200 and SEM5, which is a great benefit.
Thank you!

I will wait until BF, then make a purchase. It is exiting this, it is like buying nice " inner-clothes" to my love. She's the same as always, but also both the sound from her, and the whole her in a way gets..., well, you know. And, the Quads, if they get both more proper and deserved craftsmanship regarding cables, and also give me the silky-smooth feeling down my chest? What more can one beg for? :flag_bv:😍👙🌠

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #1,419 of 2,247

Off topic:
I just bought a very gently used pair Denon AH-D2000. Will modify them, waiting for new pads etc, and a guy I know has a very good mod on these. The Fostex drivers will shine he says when modify a little here and there. Have you ever tested them, with or with out mod? Or maybe even have them compared with your D9200?

Jan 20, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #1,420 of 2,247
When I listen with my quads, the music never seems to be exactly centred in my head. It's always just slightly to the right side. It's a great sound still but I'd rather hear it in the middle. Is this the headphones, the cable or my ears?
Have you ruled out the dac etc? If listen to other sets from same source, then it is balanced out correct?

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #1,421 of 2,247
Off topic:
I just bought a very gently used pair Denon AH-D2000. Will modify them, waiting for new pads etc, and a guy I know has a very good mod on these. The Fostex drivers will shine he says when modify a little here and there. Have you ever tested them, with or with out mod? Or maybe even have them compared with your D9200?
Sadly, i didn't.

The Dx2xx series of Denon doesn't use the foster driver anymore.
The drivers are now made by Denon directly.
Don't know how the older ones compare to the "new" generation.
Have sold my D7200 a few days ago, after a little comparison with the D9200.
The bass with certain genres was to much for me. ^^

The Era-1 goes head to head with the D9200 imo, except the wider headstage on the Quads. :)
There're small differences in bass presentation, more pronounced vocals on D9200 and slightly more highs, but the quality is on par.
No planar is able to produce this lovely timbre in bass like some great dynamic drivers are known for, imo.
But the Quad, as an example, has the quality to going deep as hell, except the nice bass delay of some dynamics.

All that said, the Era-1 is still my #1 headphone in my little collection in terms of sound quality to my liking. :)

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #1,422 of 2,247
Have you ruled out the dac etc? If listen to other sets from same source, then it is balanced out correct?

I have to go out to work now but i just stole 10 minutes to do some testing. I used my secondary source and the quads and my old Sonys. Using the same track everything sounded centered. But oh my goodness, I forgot how good the quads do actually sound when comparing with my old Sonys.

I will do some more testing after work with my primary source when I have more time. 👍

Jan 20, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #1,423 of 2,247
When I listen with my quads, the music never seems to be exactly centred in my head. It's always just slightly to the right side. It's a great sound still but I'd rather hear it in the middle. Is this the headphones, the cable or my ears?

I've noticed unusual imaging as well. For me, it's just a little more 'outside the head' than most other headphone presentations. It's a little unconventional, but still very enjoyable.

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #1,424 of 2,247

Had similar issues with my pair which got worse as time went on.
Ruled out the ear thing by just swapping other phones in and out, plus swapping the cable L/R, wearing them the other way, different sources...and some cotton buds!
For me an issue that my local shop picked up on test gear.. just waiting on Quad warranty now.

Do you find certain frequencies missing out of one side or is it just a reduction in overall Db?

Jan 20, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #1,425 of 2,247
These cans sound fantastic. I've done all the tests I can and I think I'm imagining it. Mostly. It seems to be just the vocals are slightly to the right above my head. Kinda, It's weird. There is no missing frequencies on the left and no reduction in db. I think I've been looking for an issue that's not really even there tbh. Maybe with a lot of people seeming to have issues with them I'm being paranoid. I need to just enjoy these lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back