QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,322 of 2,268
I emailed Quad directly about this and the response was 'all the headphones have some form of clicking/creaking when you move your head'. I think that translates as I'm on my own here, don't see much chance of replacement and my money's been wasted, sadly.

Sorry to say, while some guys here had luck with their replacement and that "clicking/creaking" were gone - so you may try your lucky chance with another possible replacement.
That statement from Quad... so they are aware that the ERA is a pretty nice headpone with some problems in the build ?

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,323 of 2,268
Sorry to say, while some guys here had luck with their replacement and that "clicking/creaking" were gone - so you may try your lucky chance with another possible replacement.
That statement from Quad... so they are aware that the ERA is a pretty nice headpone with some problems in the build ?

I deleted that bit because I'm still hoping it'll be resolved after some further correspondence. Would like nothing better than to come on here in a few weeks' time and say 'all's well that ends well'.

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #1,324 of 2,268
Nice. I guess that makes the Quad pretty neutral hehe.
Relatively, yes - but Era-1 still has a bump up in bass....CX even more so with the thicker pads.

Nov 15, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #1,325 of 2,268
Relatively, yes - but Era-1 still has a bump up in bass....CX even more so with the thicker pads.
I think it depends on the pads as well for the Quad. These days I'm using some Brainwavz pleather pads that provide a fairly flat bass, and top end as well. But transparency is not optimal. There's definitely room for improvement with higher quality pads.

PXL_20201112_000623790.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #1,326 of 2,268
I think it depends on the pads as well for the Quad. These days I'm using some Brainwavz pleather pads that provide a fairly flat bass, and top end as well. But transparency is not optimal. There's definitely room for improvement with higher quality pads.

PXL_20201112_000623790.jpg
I have a Dekoni fenestrated and angled lambskin pad. Tried on Era1, but meh...
Got thick and bassy, high loss on transparency, articulation, details. Got a different and bad sounding headphone with.
So, there is no synergy at all with that pad, don't waste on that.

Nov 16, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #1,327 of 2,268
Got thick and bassy, high loss on transparency, articulation, details. Got a different and bad sounding headphone with.
The Dekoni fenestrated hd600 pads sound pretty good with mine but they're flat. It might depend on the specific shape. I'm not sure the angled shape is the best for the Quad since it already has enough bass. That's one of the reasons why I'm not really fond of the stock leather pads.

Nov 16, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,328 of 2,268
Thank you.
Ordered a pair of Elite Sheepskin Angled(non fenestrated) for my D7200, will test them on my Era-1 too.

Nov 16, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,329 of 2,268
Thank you.
Ordered a pair of Elite Sheepskin Angled(non fenestrated) for my D7200, will test them on my Era-1 too.
I've got a Zmf Ori full, closed lambskin for my Final headphone, and of course :) tried on the Quad, but no. Got an agressive hard hitting, actually eardrum hurting presentation at the mid-drum section. So, figured out, the Quad request some damping by earpad, such fenestrate, or velour something.
Curious for your experience with that full leather earpad :)

Nov 16, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #1,330 of 2,268
Woah, let's find out the best pads for the Quads :beyersmile:
I agree that the Quads need some kind of damping in the treble. Apparently perforations work well for that. Velour helps a lot with timbre but the hybrid pads typically make the Quad already a bit shouty in my opinion so I would stick to real leather ideally. The difference between real leather and pleather is striking on the HD600 (in favor of real leather).

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,331 of 2,268
I've got a Zmf Ori full, closed lambskin for my Final headphone, and of course :) tried on the Quad, but no. Got an agressive hard hitting, actually eardrum hurting presentation at the mid-drum section. So, figured out, the Quad request some damping by earpad, such fenestrate, or velour something.
Curious for your experience with that full leather earpad :)
I've to do more testing with the pads of my Monitor 5.
The most comfortable pads i've ever seen on a headphone.
Sadly, they're really hugh in comparison and nowhere to buy. :smirk:
Very curious bout the sound out of the Era-1.
They should be able to expand the headstage even further, i guess.

Nov 16, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #1,332 of 2,268
I've to do more testing with the pads of my Monitor 5.
The most comfortable pads i've ever seen on a headphone.
Sadly, they're really hugh in comparison and nowhere to buy. :smirk:
Very curious bout the sound out of the Era-1.
They should be able to expand the headstage even further, i guess.

Well, I guess, the most suitable earpads are already included for the Era1 by Quad. Headphone cable also. And I salute for Quad for these. Tried several earpads and cables, but the stock wins always. So the headphone we got from the Quad is done. No headache for upgrading parts.
Not at least the phone itself is a very good performer on wide variety of source gears, with plenty of potential in it for dac-amp upgrades.
And all of these we got for a low price (in my opinion).....
(( Own some premium class dac and amp in my collection. The cheapest premium and known amp I have is a Wa6 by Woo, with upgrade tubes, and the main setup is a Hungarian made dac and amp, that has no official price yet, but worth roughly two thousand usd each. ))

Nov 16, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,333 of 2,268
Well, I guess, the most suitable earpads are already included for the Era1 by Quad. Headphone cable also. And I salute for Quad for these. Tried several earpads and cables, but the stock wins always. So the headphone we got from the Quad is done. No headache for upgrading parts.
Not at least the phone itself is a very good performer on wide variety of source gears, with plenty of potential in it for dac-amp upgrades.
And all of these we got for a low price (in my opinion).....
(( Own some premium class dac and amp in my collection. The cheapest premium and known amp I have is a Wa6 by Woo, with upgrade tubes, and the main setup is a Hungarian made dac and amp, that has no official price yet, but worth roughly two thousand usd each. ))
I fully agree.
For what it is, the Era-1 is just perfect, at least for me.
Sounds wonderful out of my V30 and just amazing out of my R28.
Got nothing to add.
Tried many headphones before and with the Quad in comparison and i'm still in love with the Era-1.
The D7200 is getting more listening time at the moment, but when i switch to the Quads, it's much more comfortable to and around my ears.
Love the cool touch they give to my head, with leather pads.
The SEM5 is the headphone to reset my brain to most neutrality in my small collection, btw. :)
My last wish is, to attach the pads of the SEM 5 to the Quads without altering the sound. :L3000:

Edit.
Tried the SEM5 Pads on the Era-1.
While the lows and vocals sounds still the same, they do altering lower highs, which leads to more detail retrieval but also take away these lushness, the Quads brings to the ears.
Due to the softer foam and, maybe, the pleather of the SEM5 pads, the distance between driver and ears falls shorter, what brings the lower highs more in front.

I've to agree one more time to @fericske
Until now, the oem leather pads of the Era-1 are the most enjoyable ones to me.

I'm drowning to Synthesis by Evanescence again right at the moment.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #1,334 of 2,268
Tried the SEM5 Pads on the Era-1.
While the lows and vocals sounds still the same, they do altering lower highs, which leads to more detail retrieval but also take away these lushness, the Quads brings to the ears.
Due to the softer foam and, maybe, the pleather of the SEM5 pads, the distance between driver and ears falls shorter, what brings the lower highs more in front.
I believe this is where perforations come in handy to tame to top end. The stock leather pads have this kind of perforations on the sides. Full leather with no perforations seems like a no-go with the Quads (I haven't tested myself though).
Just tested the stock angled leather pads again and they don't cut it for me in terms of transparency but they have their qualities. I think it's just the thickness and angled shape that kill the neutrality. But I can see how most folks here actually enjoy that.
One thing I noted only recently: if you don't fully press the stock pads when you put them back in place, deep bass seems to take a hit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back