QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Sep 3, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #1,141 of 2,250
Not the level of detail retrieval nor the flaws that you hear in the recording (I think the Quad is very good at that, being super quick and transparent), but rather does like does it sound natural, realistic to you, especially as a musician who knows quite a bit about drums :) Also the texture and body of each instrument, how believable it is... To me the Quad sounds a little bit in the thin/synthetic side sometimes, almost like an electrostat. And I realized lately than my amp doesn't solve the problem, it's actually worsening it as compared to straight out a smartphone.
Ok, now I see what you mean. For me that isn't a challenge, I just don't hear it. I don't know why I with my musical OCD, even didn't notice it? So, now I'll try to forget it, as soon as possible, so it will go away as in magic. 😊

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #1,142 of 2,250
mobbadict: What are the beste ever headset you have listen to? if I may ask.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,143 of 2,250
mobbadict: What are the beste ever headset you have listen to? if I may ask.
The Abyss big boy (1266). That was 5-6 years ago but I thought it was a perfect headphone with an incredibly believable tone and soundstage. But maybe it's easy to be impressed on a 5 minutes audition, without paying attention to details like timbre. I've read interesting things about the Raal, I'm always curious about new technologies. But I think planar is a good compromise overall (especially for bass lovers). I hope we can go to audio shows again soon to see where the Quad stands on today's market.

If the ERA-1 sounds better on your smartphone than on your amp, you might consider auditioning some other amps.. I compared my S8 to the Jotunheim, major difference...
I don't know what to believe, some people say the K5 pro that I have is virtually indistinguishable from the JDS Atom which is a reference at this pricepoint. It delivers gobs of power (over 1 watt) for the price but what I'm hearing tells me that it's doing more harm than good to the Quad drivers (which only need 100mw theoretically...).

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #1,144 of 2,250
It's all about the implementation of the dac and which one you have in your system.
The Jotunheim with a multibit dac or a great R2R dac will sound more lifelike with the Quads, imo.
That's where my R28 comes into play with the Era-1. :)

Sep 3, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,145 of 2,250
It's all about the implementation of the dac and which one you have in your system.
The Jotunheim with a multibit dac or a great R2R dac will sound more lifelike with the Quads, imo.
That's where my R28 comes into play with the Era-1. :)
You may well be right Chris. I'm comparing the internal DAC of the amp (akm ak4493) with the analog output of my Chromecast audio (!), and the latter seems to have a more realistic timbre with the Quad and the HD600. I love it when a $30 device kicks the ass of an alleged audiophile one lol. Maybe time to investigate in a better DAC. Sorry for hosting the thread with this nonsense.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #1,146 of 2,250

Have recently had the iFi micro idsd black label, one at each rig, sold them both a couple of days ago. Have an Nano Black Label, for phone/tablet, with UAPP as player. Now I'm using one Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, each at on of the two rigs. My default headset is the Quads, and that's it. In one way i can feel a kind og sorrow, sadness - cause i think, what now? And in the same moment both realise - and miss - the fact that my seeking for the gold under the rainbow may hav ended? Sigh. Is the chasing it self a kind of addiction? I dont know.

Ok, me and the words, well: Have one or more of you Quad users, any experience whit the Pro-Ject feeding the Quads? And even better, any comparison whit this/that etc?

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #1,147 of 2,250
Have recently had the iFi micro idsd black label, one at each rig, sold them both a couple of days ago. Have an Nano Black Label, for phone/tablet, with UAPP as player. Now I'm using one Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, each at on of the two rigs. My default headset is the Quads, and that's it. In one way i can feel a kind og sorrow, sadness - cause i think, what now? And in the same moment both realise - and miss - the fact that my seeking for the gold under the rainbow may hav ended? Sigh. Is the chasing it self a kind of addiction? I dont know.

Ok, me and the words, well: Have one or more of you Quad users, any experience whit the Pro-Ject feeding the Quads? And even better, any comparison whit this/that etc?
Was the Project amp driving the Quad better than the ifi amp? I notice that the output power is very weak on the Project, but maybe it's enough for the Quad?

Zeos "reviewed" the Quad by the way

Interesting to note that apparently the Quad was out before the Alara, which has been discontinued. It seems he didn't test the leather pads though. But I agree with his description of the Quad, it's been often described here as a polite, smooth headphone.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #1,148 of 2,250
Was the Project amp driving the Quad better than the ifi amp? I notice that the output power is very weak on the Project, but maybe it's enough for the Quad?

I have several places seen that people pointed at the "low" output power on them, but I have never experienced a lack of power and "juice" etc in any ways, really. Then have in mind that none of my set today exceed 250 ohm. So over 250 ohm I dont know of the "lack" of power is an issue.

The first minutes of listening with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2, i thought that sound image was more "treble-colored-and flat". Had then been using the ifis for a while, and the ears had an alliance there. After a few minutes, I realized that the sound was crystal clear, smooth, and much more open and detailed than on the ifi. In my opinion the ifi were more "colored" without being colored, they were more Hollywood or what should I say, more "blurredwarm" or, grrr, I find it harder and harder to exact describe sound. And we all have our different preferences in that department.

Bute power/juice issues etc, was never in my mind with none of them, before I was reading about the it on a forum.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,149 of 2,250
mobbaddict

Have you ever listened to the Sendy Audio Aiva? Then if so, how do you compare them with the Quads?

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,150 of 2,250
mobbaddict

Have you ever listened to the Sendy Audio Aiva? Then if so, how do you compare them with the Quads?
Nope, there's just too many good planars to listen under the 1K$ mark... :)
To be honest I'm listening to the HD600 a bit more these last days. Give me the Quad smoothness with the HD600 timbre and I would be in heaven.

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,151 of 2,250
So... I have been listening to the ERA-1 for a few months... and I love it. But...

I cannot shake the feeling that it can do better, do more.. I feel it's boundaries are so, so much further away..

Right now I am using my PC to play FLAC, or Tidal to play hi-res.. That goes through Unison USB into my Modius and balanced to my Jotunheim.. SE to the ERA-1.

I will get the opportunity to upgrade (big time) in a few months, even to the level of Mjölnir2 / Yggdrasyl..

Anyone to give insights as to what the options are? I am very much open to suggestions, and although I favour Schiit, I am not closed to other brands..

Just brainstorming..

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #1,152 of 2,250

You're a lucky guy. :)
Can't comment on the midsd or the Pro-Ject.

I switch between my V30, the BTR5 and my R28 frequently based on my mood and which fits better for this situation.
Same happens with the Era-1, Monitor 5 (which i love and is the best and most comfortable closed back i've heard by now), PM-3, the SE-CH9T (iem).

Picked up a Denon D7200 these days for under 500€ new, but i've to listen to them for at least a week to know what's going on.
By now, it can't hold a candle against the SEM5, but that's a very early impression. Need more time to get used to it. :wink:
Sadly the very comfy pads of the SEM5 doesn't fit to the D7200. It'd be the right pairing with larger openings for my ears and soft foam.

The Era-1 is fixed to the xlr of my R28 bc, for me, it sounds best with the R2R ladder dac in it. ^^
My search for higher tier headphones is paused at the moment, but i'm eyeing to the Heddphone or the Empys to be next on my list.:deadhorse:
My hunt for the Pro iCan is over bc it can't be used with headphones and active speaker connected at the same time like the R28. :triportsad:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,153 of 2,250
So... I have been listening to the ERA-1 for a few months... and I love it. But...

I cannot shake the feeling that it can do better, do more.. I feel it's boundaries are so, so much further away..

Right now I am using my PC to play FLAC, or Tidal to play hi-res.. That goes through Unison USB into my Modius and balanced to my Jotunheim.. SE to the ERA-1.

I will get the opportunity to upgrade (big time) in a few months, even to the level of Mjölnir2 / Yggdrasyl..

Anyone to give insights as to what the options are? I am very much open to suggestions, and although I favour Schiit, I am not closed to other brands..

Just brainstorming..
Nice setup.
What about a Gungnir and an iFi Pro iCan?
Imo, the Pro iCan, beside the fact i've mentioned previously, should be the better value to pair with the Era-1. :D
Xbass, 3D and more than enough power to play with.

It was a really hard decision for me to reject it.

Or pick an Audio-GD R27. :) :)

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #1,154 of 2,250

Just brainstorming..

I think a lot of amps will fit the bill here, they really don't need much power but good quality always helps. I do like the punch and impact of Schiit amps and R2R DACs. I just figured I'd mention that I had a really positive meet impression comparing DACs in a quiet hall and was really impressed with the BorderPatrol SE, it is an R2R design with a switchable tube rectifier (so you can use the tube rectifier circuit or keep things fully solid state). It wasn't as full sounding as some of the other R2R designs, but it had a lot of good textural detail and good sense of space.

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #1,155 of 2,250
To be honest I'm listening to the HD600 a bit more these last days. Give me the Quad smoothness with the HD600 timbre and I would be in heaven.

All I've reading from your consideration and reviews, are remarkably like my line of expressions and thoughts. I have to say that all my previous love for Sennheiser suddenly was over for a while ago, for ALL the models, and that is that.

But: The timbre, hmm. I have the HD600 and the HD 58X Jubilee lying in the chamber of shame. Shaked the dust of them both for a quick test against the Quads with your “timbre” in focus, switches all three of them rapidly, and, and… What is wrong with my ears? I am also a musician from back in the days, also have a past hovering and moaning over the stressed mixer complaining about timbre etc, but? Maybe it is my age? I really do not know. :disappointed_relieved::disappointed:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back