QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Dec 22, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #737 of 2,247
I don't really understand why the Quad is often referred to as a fun can. Initially I also thought that but after burn in it's become one of the most accurate headphones I've heard. The timbre has been quite fabulous during the latest listening sessions. It's clearly on the dark side of neutrality, in the same fashion as the Stax O2 or the Abyss, so someone looking for a bright analytical headphone would be very frustrated with the Quad. But for someone looking for a laid-back version of neutrality it's one of the best headphones I've heard.

I can't agree more with.
Best headphone i've heard to date to really enjoy music.
If i need more highs, i'd pair it with an ESS-Dac, for more relaxed listening i plug it to my R28, R2R based Dac.
But the Era is doing well on all sources, whatever mood i'm at.

I'm on vacation now with my PM-3.
Looking forward to the end, when i'm back with the Quad. :L3000:
PM-3s are very nice for commuting and traveling.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #738 of 2,247
I can't agree more with.
Best headphone i've heard to date to really enjoy music.
If i need more highs, i'd pair it with an ESS-Dac, for more relaxed listening i plug it to my R28, R2R based Dac.
But the Era is doing well on all sources, whatever mood i'm at.

I'm on vacation now with my PM-3.
Looking forward to the end, when i'm back with the Quad. :L3000:
PM-3s are very nice for commuting and traveling.
How does the PM3 compare by the way? I was very underwhelmed when i auditioned it. It was okay but a bit lifeless. But I was using my smartphone i think and maybe it needs burn in as well.

Dec 23, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #739 of 2,247
How does the PM3 compare by the way? I was very underwhelmed when i auditioned it. It was okay but a bit lifeless. But I was using my smartphone i think and maybe it needs burn in as well.

Oh. I'm not a burn-in guy.
To me, the headphones i'm hunting for have to sound right out of the box.
For me, its all about brain adjustment.

The PM-3 is a nice compliment to my V30.
More prominent in the mid-lows and less in the mids than the Era.
Best to pair with a bright sounding source to lift the freqencies a bit.
As all planars, it benefits by adding more power to the bones. ^^

Sounds great on my R-28 with OS-8 mode.
But needs a perfect seal to shine.
With glasses on it loose a bit of its bass capabilities.

I use the PM-3 as a fun set mostly with my V30, which has more than enough power to drive it seriously. :beyersmile:

Dec 23, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #740 of 2,247
Oh. I'm not a burn-in guy.
To me, the headphones i'm hunting for have to sound right out of the box.
For me, its all about brain adjustment.

The PM-3 is a nice compliment to my V30.
More prominent in the mid-lows and less in the mids than the Era.
Best to pair with a bright sounding source to lift the freqencies a bit.
As all planars, it benefits by adding more power to the bones. ^^

Sounds great on my R-28 with OS-8 mode.
But needs a perfect seal to shine.
With glasses on it loose a bit of its bass capabilities.

I use the PM-3 as a fun set mostly with my V30, which has more than enough power to drive it seriously. :beyersmile:
Thanks, too bad Oppo stopped producing planars! I like iems better for daily commuting but the PM3 looked like a nice transportable headphone.

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #741 of 2,247
Anybody tried the Quad with the little Ibasso DC01/02? I was surprised to see that these little dongles can deliver around 100mw at 32 ohm which is similar to my Fiio E5, and I think this is already an improvement over most smartphone amps in terms of speed/control (couldn't find the exact power of the V30 though). Given the fact that 100mw is the power recommended by Quad I think it might be a great portable way to power the Era-1.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #742 of 2,247
Thanks, too bad Oppo stopped producing planars! I like iems better for daily commuting but the PM3 looked like a nice transportable headphone.
Indeed.
It is, with a perfect seal, great sounding headphone with a solid bottom.
Very comfy, espacially with my large ears, and light weight for a planar system.

But the Era-1 is on another class in comparision. :)
All i want is a closed version of the Era with a similar sound signature, that would be great. :L3000:

Dec 23, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #744 of 2,247
Indeed.
It is, with a perfect seal, great sounding headphone with a solid bottom.
Very comfy, espacially with my large ears, and light weight for a planar system.

But the Era-1 is on another class in comparision. :)
All i want is a closed version of the Era with a similar sound signature, that would be great. :L3000:
The new Aeon Flow closed maybe?
In terms of iems the RE400 is actually not so different when properly inserted when the right tips. Just a bit more shy in the bass (but the Quad deep bass is really something). A planar iem version would be even better :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #745 of 2,247
The new Aeon Flow closed maybe?
In terms of iems the RE400 is actually not so different when properly inserted when the right tips. Just a bit more shy in the bass (but the Quad deep bass is really something). A planar iem version would be even better :beyersmile:

DCA A2C is on my list for sure. :)
I've to listen to them first.
The AFC wasn't my piece of cake for the early distortion on higher volumes.
Although it was running hot really quick on my head.

I'm looking forward to my first audition of A2C. :wink:
Could be a long run to achieve the perfect fit with closed backs.

Edit:
I'm hunting for a PM3-like successor.
Not so bulky ones, you know?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #746 of 2,247
DCA A2C is on my list for sure. :)
I've to listen to them first.
The AFC wasn't my piece of cake for the early distortion on higher volumes.
Although it was running hot really quick on my head.

I'm looking forward to my first audition of A2C. :wink:
Could be a long run to achieve the perfect fit with closed backs.

Edit:
I'm hunting for a PM3-like successor.
Not so bulky ones, you know?
Let us know when you hear the Aeon Flow, I'm always curious about comparisons :)
Something as compact as the PM3? I don't think there is anything similar in planar territory, is there? Until they do a closed version of the LCD1 maybe. If you don't need isolation and have $3k to spend the LCD4i are quite great... Or maybe the Moebius if you want to go wireless?

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #748 of 2,247
Merry Christmas Quad owners! Gospel sounds wonderful on this can too :)

Although music genre is a debatable and highly subjective matter, that album is nicely recorded.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 28, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #749 of 2,247
It's crazy how the velour pads turn the Quad into a different headphone, a much more mid-centric one. For me after burn in the mid-range is just too forward in this configuration, but i can see how some people would like it better (if you like the Grado sound maybe?). The leather pads offer a way more relaxed / laid-back sound in comparison with a near perfect timbre for my tastes. I think most of the reviews were not very accurate on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back