QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Aug 16, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #1,876 of 2,273
Thank you! This is insightful and it confirms my suspicions. Sometimes I do long for a more neutral, analytical and airy cousin to Era-1, but with the same lovely boostable base extension. DCA Stealth may be that, but is out of reach. My beloved SE-Monitor5's are half-way there, but could use a bit more base extension and more width/depth in the soundstage.

If you want the soundstage, clarity, and general tuning of the 800S, but with better bass, more resolution, and far less distortion when EQ'd, then I'd recommend the HiFiMan Arya. The v2 at least is an excellent headphone to complement the ERA-1 in the ways you mentioned.

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #1,877 of 2,273
If you want the soundstage, clarity, and general tuning of the 800S, but with better bass, more resolution, and far less distortion when EQ'd, then I'd recommend the HiFiMan Arya. The v2 at least is an excellent headphone to complement the ERA-1 in the ways you mentioned.
Interesting. I thought Aryas v2 were very close to Era-1's. Will have to re-evaluate and see what they go for these days. Thank you, again. :)

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #1,878 of 2,273
Easily the best portable headphone I’ve listened to, and seems to pair really well with the Mojo2 (which doesnt seem to be able to produce the full complete range of the Era1 goodness out of those cans, for some reason)
I generally prefer my OG Mojo with Era-1.
Having said that, a quick swap out to the velour pads and some subtle EQ with Mojo2 takes me on new directions with live and acoustic music.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #1,881 of 2,273
Hello everyone Friends, please tell me, has anyone encountered the problem of stretching the membranes and as a result rattling \ rustling when listening? If so, was it related to the first batches of Quad era-1, and did the manufacturer fix this problem?

I bought a used one and they started rattling, when opened by the master it turned out that the membranes were stretched like rags and fluttering about magnets ((

Sep 3, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #1,882 of 2,273
I also think they sound fine even off a good USB dongle. I can't really tell the difference between my thx onyx and K5 pro despite the x6 difference of output power. They sound really sharp either way. I just don't recommend to drive planars straight out of a smartphone.
HEX v2 and 4XX sound pretty good through my LG v40. But my HE-500 and HE-6SE - no way.

Sep 8, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,883 of 2,273
Hello everyone Friends, please tell me, has anyone encountered the problem of stretching the membranes and as a result rattling \ rustling when listening? If so, was it related to the first batches of Quad era-1, and did the manufacturer fix this problem?

I bought a used one and they started rattling, when opened by the master it turned out that the membranes were stretched like rags and fluttering about magnets ((
Yes ...there were Quality Control issues with early examples.
My early demo pair had the rattle which lead to an eventual driver failure.
Mine were returned to IAG ( The group that owns Quad) not far from where I live, and have been fine ever since.
I am not sure if yours are fixed, but if not, PM me and happy to try to help.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #1,889 of 2,273
Glad you got a deal on these, they're great headphones. I'm not sure why you're making a mystery out of where you got them, though, especially since you brought it up. I don't know if "China" is a courteous reply to his question.

Sep 28, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #1,890 of 2,273
Glad you got a deal on these, they're great headphones. I'm not sure why you're making a mystery out of where you got them, though, especially since you brought it up. I don't know if "China" is a courteous reply to his question.
Maybe because of the different language expression. I am a Chinese, I use machine translation. My ERA-1 was bought on China's online trading platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back