QUAD ERA-1 Thread
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,861 of 2,273
Any thoughts on what would be could candidates for headphones with similar sound signature to Era-1 but relatively light, closed-back over-ears for on-the-go listening?

As this would be non-critical listening, the sound quality doesn't need to be exactly on par with Era-1 – would be very happy with say getting to 75-80% there. Also as this isn't something I'd be using regularly, the price would be nice to keep clearly lower than Era-1. Would be driving them with Mojo2 from iPhone.

As suggested in the replies, I went with the Oppo PM-3 – took a sweet while to actually find a reasonably priced pair in reasonable condition in Europe, but finally today I’m listening them with Mojo2 and sipping iced latte in the shade 😎 Haven’t done any critical listening yet, but I think the overall sound signature indeed is very close to the beloved Era1 sound, i.e. sounds pretty damn good! Easily the best portable headphone I’ve listened to, and seems to pair really well with the Mojo2 (which doesnt seem to be able to produce the full complete range of the Era1 goodness out of those cans, for some reason)

Jul 22, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #1,863 of 2,273
I'm impressed in the ERA-1 for more than month. At sale (in Europe for ~ 400 EUR/USD) they are the best what you can get. HiFiMan Sundara are way behind them. Even for retail price ~ 800 USD they are worth it for sure. Very fast response, extremely good and punchy bass kick and clear sound with great detail and separation. Only small flaw is a bit narrow soundstage. I do drive them perfectly fine even from Xduoo Link 2 bal dongle (from PC and using 4.4mm cable) when I do not want to turn on my desktop source.

With Canare StarQuad conductor was OK but then I connected them with silver plated 8wire DIY cable. It opened amazingly (soundstage increased) with even better hard hit and so clear response. For my taste huge upgrade.

Listening instruments from them is pure happiness :) but they are my daily and universal headphones for all genres.

Attachments

• Quad2.JPG
    Quad2.JPG
    910.8 KB · Views: 0
  • MDR-Z7m24.jpg
    MDR-Z7m24.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,864 of 2,273
I also think they sound fine even off a good USB dongle. I can't really tell the difference between my thx onyx and K5 pro despite the x6 difference of output power. They sound really sharp either way. I just don't recommend to drive planars straight out of a smartphone.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,865 of 2,273
Has anybody notice that that have precise imaging that much that if the vocal is slightly not mixed center correctly that it really shows it up?
Going back and forth with my HD800 i can hear its slightly left or right but on these it is really off center.

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #1,867 of 2,273
Listening to planars from a smartphone is about the same as driving down an expressway at 10 kilometers per hour. It's better to hammer nails with a smartphone than to listen to planars on it - it will be more effective.
Maybe too broad. I really dislike the 845 chips in my LG v40, but my HFM HEX v2 runs fine off my cell or my crappy old DAPs - not as nice as off my Rag but credible. Of course my HE-SE v1, HE-500, HE-5LE and borrowed HE-6, LCD-4 and others. - way bad.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #1,868 of 2,273
So a slightly nutty question: does one of you here on the thread own both Era-1 and HD800? If so, how would you compare the two, from your experience?
:)

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #1,869 of 2,273
So a slightly nutty question: does one of you here on the thread own both Era-1 and HD800? If so, how would you compare the two, from your experience?
:)

I've got the ERA-1 and HD800S, and I would say they are pretty much worlds apart. In comparison, the ERA-1 sounds much richer, fuller, and more intimate, while the 800S sounds like considerably more natural and real, with great top-end detail. They do complement each other quite well though and, since I happen to own it as well, I can assure you both sound excellent on the Black Label.

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #1,870 of 2,273
I've got the ERA-1 and HD800S, and I would say they are pretty much worlds apart. In comparison, the ERA-1 sounds much richer, fuller, and more intimate, while the 800S sounds like considerably more natural and real, with great top-end detail. They do complement each other quite well though and, since I happen to own it as well, I can assure you both sound excellent on the Black Label.
Thank you! A follow-up question: do you find the Bass Boost on the Black Label effective in adding the (oft referred to as a missing) low end of HD800S? I love it with Era-1's and in fact use the 3D enhancer setting as well; (with my much more neutral SE-Monitor5's, the Bass Boost is still great, but the 3D enhancer setting is not appealing).

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,871 of 2,273
Thank you! A follow-up question: do you find the Bass Boost on the Black Label effective in adding the (oft referred to as a missing) low end of HD800S? I love it with Era-1's and in fact use the 3D enhancer setting as well; (with my much more neutral SE-Monitor5's, the Bass Boost is still great, but the 3D enhancer setting is not appealing).
I know your "misery" very well. :)

The SEM 5 doesn't need added 3D bc it's spacious by nature. For a closed back it sounds great in that regard.
Would like to hear it with a little boost to the bottom. :thumbsup:
Hopefully the Mojo 2 is able to fix that for me in the near future.
Era-1 with a slightly boost would sound great too, very curious about. :)

Aug 16, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #1,872 of 2,273
I know your "misery" very well. :)

The SEM 5 doesn't need added 3D bc it's spacious by nature. For a closed back it sounds great in that regard.
Would like to hear it with a little boost to the bottom. :thumbsup:
Hopefully the Mojo 2 is able to fix that for me in the near future.
Era-1 with a slightly boost would sound great too, very curious about. :)
Curious why Mojo 2 and not IFI iDSD Micro. :)

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #1,873 of 2,273
Hehe.
Bc i like my Mojo very much.
Next logical step is the successor, i think.

But there's always space in mind not to reject the iFi BL from my list. :wink:

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,874 of 2,273

That's a tough question, since I find that 800S to have excellent bass in just the right amount when driven well. Turbo mode on the Black Label drives them well and its overall tone warms up the 800S a bit. So, I don't use the bass boost with the 800S much, but it does have a noticeable effect. Not as large a change as you might expect, but there is a boost there. Unfortunately, it does also come with noticeably increased distortion, making the bass overall less clearly defined. The bass boost does add warmth, but it's a diffuse sort of warmth instead of an increased presence of bass notes. And that is entirely the fault of the 800S by the way, which distorts in the low-end at higher volumes regardless of the amp. Realistically, I wouldn't recommend the 800S if you find you have to EQ any portion of its FR outside of increasing the mids for more vocal presence.

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #1,875 of 2,273
That's a tough question, since I find that 800S to have excellent bass in just the right amount when driven well. Turbo mode on the Black Label drives them well and its overall tone warms up the 800S a bit. So, I don't use the bass boost with the 800S much, but it does have a noticeable effect. Not as large a change as you might expect, but there is a boost there. Unfortunately, it does also come with noticeably increased distortion, making the bass overall less clearly defined. The bass boost does add warmth, but it's a diffuse sort of warmth instead of an increased presence of bass notes. And that is entirely the fault of the 800S by the way, which distorts in the low-end at higher volumes regardless of the amp. Realistically, I wouldn't recommend the 800S if you find you have to EQ any portion of its FR outside of increasing the mids for more vocal presence.
Thank you! This is insightful and it confirms my suspicions. Sometimes I do long for a more neutral, analytical and airy cousin to Era-1, but with the same lovely boostable base extension. DCA Stealth may be that, but is out of reach. My beloved SE-Monitor5's are half-way there, but could use a bit more base extension and more width/depth in the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back