Q's on the Q40s
May 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Hamodakillah

New Head-Fier
hey guys i recently brought the m audio q40s, a replacement cable ( 3rd party) and a blade =P 
aside from the cable and earpads is there anything else i should know before it suprises me 

also how good is the isolation on these ?
how are they for the aeroplane (airplane)?

my biggest concern is how much do they leak compared to the htf 600s ?

thanks in advanced

May 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 17
They have good isolation. Better than the htf-600 which is actually not closed but semi open. Sneaky holes behind the the armature.

May 4, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 17
Fairly average isolation, significantly better than HTF600, those are semi-closed with lots of openings at the back.

May 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 17
Q40 doesn't leak much, I can listen to music without the person in the same room will be disturbed.... you'll hear some very faint sound if it's very quiet though

May 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 17
isolation is second only to my iems. my q40s are still probably my favorite haedphone to date. about to pick up ultrasone pro 900s tho, so this statement might be false soon :p

May 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
isolation is second only to my iems. my q40s are still probably my favorite haedphone to date. about to pick up ultrasone pro 900s tho, so this statement might be false soon :p

MalVeuX preferred Q40 to PRO900 so not necessarily. :D They are quite different sounding so it will ultimately come down to taste, I know I would like Q40 more cuz I can't stand V-shape frequency response, I like very forward in-your-face vocals with strong bass which PRO900 isn't and that Q40 is doing such a goob job at though :p

May 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 17
hmmm. i might look into their comparison now that you say it. Hadnt even crossed my mind to compare them. Also, I added beyer velour pads to my q40s pretty soon after i got them. made them much more comfortable

May 5, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

IMO the Q40 does everything that the PRO900 does and more. The Ultrasone is way too harsh even after mythical burn-in, while the Q40 is wonderfully laid back and easy to listen to, without that much of a sacrifice to clarity.

May 5, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
IMO the Q40 does everything that the PRO900 does and more. The Ultrasone is way too harsh even after mythical burn-in, while the Q40 is wonderfully laid back and easy to listen to, without that much of a sacrifice to clarity.

interesting. That is the one issue I have with the q40. There doesnt seem to be that sparkle or clarity that im looking for. The bass is definitely there, but the whole package seems to be muffled 

May 5, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
interesting. That is the one issue I have with the q40. There doesnt seem to be that sparkle or clarity that im looking for. The bass is definitely there, but the whole package seems to be muffled 

Try Denon DN-HP700 possibly, the bass is slightly weaker but the quality is at least as good if not tiny bit better and there's a little bit more sparkle and mids are equally forward as Q40.

May 5, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Thats exactly what I think ; )

You got to listen to the DENON DN-HP700. WAY better in my opinion. Clarity, sparkle, detail, etc. Have a look at the DENON DN-HP700 thread. They were compared to the $1000 D7000's and seem to be almost as good and even better in some genres. Personally it's the best phone I have ever heard and you can get them for as low as 150€ in Europe, $99 from the USA.

May 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #14 of 17
I will definitely look into them. how do they compare to the d2000s? i already have a pair of those

May 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 17
I have no idea, haven't tested the D2000's, but odds are that these are better, since they compete with the D7000's. Click on my sig to have a look at the thread and read it all, including other member's comments. There's one more member that owns the D7000's stating that they indeed compete with them. He's totally wow'ed by the HP700's. 

BTW, I'm VERY interested in that comparison  ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back