Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jan 30, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #1,936 of 2,153
Has anyone experienced issues with downloading playlists for offline playback on Android? The issue I’m having is with my Fiio M11 pro. I start a download and it queues up but nothing happens. I have reformatted the memory card and started the process over. It worked fine until the next day when I went back to download another playlist and now I am experiencing the same issues. I can download Qobuz playlists to my iPhone without issue.

Honestly, this is becoming more work than I have time for - will probably look at alternatives.

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,937 of 2,153
Has anyone experienced issues with downloading playlists for offline playback on Android? The issue I’m having is with my Fiio M11 pro. I start a download and it queues up but nothing happens. I have reformatted the memory card and started the process over. It worked fine until the next day when I went back to download another playlist and now I am experiencing the same issues. I can download Qobuz playlists to my iPhone without issue.

Honestly, this is becoming more work than I have time for - will probably look at alternatives.
Yep. App experience is hopeless, but Qobuz has the best sound IMHO - and I've tried all the alternatives many times...

Jan 30, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,938 of 2,153
Yep. App experience is hopeless, but Qobuz has the best sound IMHO - and I've tried all the alternatives many times...
I am inclined to agree with you about sound quality - BUT - if you can't download it (I don't always have access to Wi-Fi) what's the point of paying for it every month?

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,939 of 2,153
I am inclined to agree with you about sound quality - BUT - if you can't download it (I don't always have access to Wi-Fi) what's the point of paying for it every month?
Indeed. I can usually download some stuff, though there are always glitches. The app only tends to completely collapse on downloads when I have about 100gb on the SD card (about 20% of my releases).

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,940 of 2,153
The streaming part, when you do have WiFi...

I never DL anything. Obviously there is value in the service w/o offloading. I play local files when WiFi is not available. Which is so rare these days depending on region.
Only affects me when traveling between destinations, and even then there might be public WiFi available.

That being said, they need to fix a function that has been in various states of broken since at least Android 5. Mind blowing they can't figure this out.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,942 of 2,153
Yep. Mind blowing it is!
So I messaged their support team and this is what I received -

Our Dev team is now aware of this issue affecting Android and is working to resolve it with our next update. We hope it will be in the next week or two. However, I don't have a more specific timeline that I can currently share with you.

We hope it will be in the next two weeks? You have to wonder what kind of Pre-Prod testing they have when they can't catch a bug in download playlists....

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #1,943 of 2,153
So I messaged their support team and this is what I received -

Our Dev team is now aware of this issue affecting Android and is working to resolve it with our next update. We hope it will be in the next week or two. However, I don't have a more specific timeline that I can currently share with you.

We hope it will be in the next two weeks? You have to wonder what kind of Pre-Prod testing they have when they can't catch a bug in download playlists....
The Qobuz Android app needs a fundamental under the hood overhaul.

1) 'My Favorites' often doesn't work - sometimes showing no releases, and often requiring multiple loads to show all releases (due to poorly worked through batch loading and a reluctance to cache data?)
2) Imports often crash and can't be recovered without starting again
3) Imports get slower and slower the more you import, becoming almost unusable after about 100GB of imports

These problems have existed in every version of the app I've used over the last three years on multiple android devices (though some are marginally better than others).

The trouble is the android competition IMHO is also lacking. The Apple app has the best app experience by far, but SQ just isn't right, the Tidal android app is as bad as the Qobuz one, with a much worse UI, and the Amazon app is all but unnavigable if you like albums and seems to upscale everything to 192 so SQ is poor.

Maybe one day Qobuz will sort it out - but I guess it just isn't easy!

Jan 31, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #1,944 of 2,153
The Apple app has the best app experience by far, but SQ just isn't right
Well, this is not my experience. Using Qobuz out of an iPhone 11, according to my ears the sound quality is the same as using Qobuz on a Win 11 PC. Also, the user interface and stability are very good, although I have never used local playback.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,945 of 2,153
Well, this is not my experience. Using Qobuz out of an iPhone 11, according to my ears the sound quality is the same as using Qobuz on a Win 11 PC. Also, the user interface and stability are very good, although I have never used local playback.
Glad to hear it - though my point referred to the android Qobuz app compared to the android Apple Music app - apologies for any ambiguity.

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,946 of 2,153
Glad to hear it - though my point referred to the android Qobuz app compared to the android Apple Music app - apologies for any ambiguity.
I am sorry for not having understood it that way. Thank you for your clarification!

Jan 31, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,947 of 2,153

1) 'My Favorites' often doesn't work - sometimes showing no releases, and often requiring multiple loads to show all releases (due to poorly worked through batch loading and a reluctance to cache data?)
3) Imports get slower and slower the more you import, becoming almost unusable after about 100GB of imports

These problems have existed in every version of the app I've used over the last three years on multiple android devices (though some are marginally better than others).

The trouble is the android competition IMHO is also lacking. The Apple app has the best app experience by far, but SQ just isn't right, the Tidal android app is as bad as the Qobuz one, with a much worse UI, and the Amazon app is all but unnavigable if you like albums and seems to upscale everything to 192 so SQ is poor.

Apple Music downloads on Android are lightning fast.

Qobuz on IOS works great compared to Android. I’ve experienced the same issues as you’ve mentioned on my Android DAP. The streaming on the app works fine but probably better on UAPP.

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #1,948 of 2,153

We are in complete agreement! It shouldn't take days to download a large playlist and import crashing has been an issue since day. If it weren't for the quality of the tracks I would have buried this pathetic app a year ago. You forgot to mention the "this service only available to subscribers" bug that requires a reload of the app to clear.

As far as Amazon music I thought I had seen a thread that talks about an error in the app that shows the 192kh in error.

Feb 1, 2023 at 2:10 AM Post #1,949 of 2,153
Have you guys noticed that Qobuz on Mac is NOT bitperfect?

it doesn’t have an exclusive mode.
you can play Qobuz and then play a YouTube video and it will play both.
which means it’s going through the mixer in IOS

i didn’t know this the whole time I had Qobuz.

i was wondering why Qobuz sounded different when using it through Audirvana which does use exclusive mode.

WTH?

Tidal has an exclusive mode on their App for Apple Mac

Feb 1, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #1,950 of 2,153
Have you guys noticed that Qobuz on Mac is NOT bitperfect?
I've been using Roon for the past few years, but previously I looked into bit-perfect in the Qobuz app and didn't find a definitive answer.

You could try this... set the system sound output (speaker icon in the Mac menu bar) to your Mac speakers, and in the Qobuz app set the output to your USB DAC. This is effectively like exclusive mode (there is nothing else in the USB audio output to mix with Qobuz). Does it still go through the MacOS sound mixer, and more importantly, do bits pass through unaltered? I don't know. At least my DAC shows the bit rate changing to match the Qobuz track, which is one of the necessary requirements to verify bit-perfect.

FWIW, Chris Connaker of the Audiophile Style website is very picky about bit-perfect and he thinks the Qobuz app on Mac is bit perfect.
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-musics-lossless-and-hi-res-mess-r1022/
(the article is about testing Apple Music for bit-perfect but he mentions Qobuz a few times)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back