Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Feb 20, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,967 of 2,153
Frustrated by Qobuz changing albums to preview only - 30 sec mode. Why do they even allow these albums to exist in the library at all if they are constrained? So I can purchase them? I instead go out of my way to AVOID these titles. Same with the "for purchase only" tier. Such an annoying cash grab. Those recording and publishers can "suck it". Pull the content and make me buy it outside of Qobuz, don't list it in the exact same way you do music you can fully stream. Have some user empathy.

Agreed, and I hate their (lack of) music discovery. What little discovery Qobuz has was in the Weekly Q, and it never changes and has never matched my preferred genres. I'm trialing Tidal again, and at least they have some curated playlists and artist radio to play around with. I may have to forgo a little better sound quality in Qobuz for much better discovery in Tidal.

Feb 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #1,968 of 2,153
Nothing is bad enough for me to go back to Tidal, lol. I am much happier with Qobuz, even with the annoyances.

Feb 20, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,969 of 2,153
Nothing is bad enough for me to go back to Tidal, lol. I am much happier with Qobuz, even with the annoyances.
Couldn't agree more. The fact Tidal starting MQAing the hell out of every single recording and calling their subscriptions 'HiFi' when there is nothing hi-fidelity about it. I could just about bear it as you could listen to the Redbook CD quality alternative album. But then these started disappearing leaving you in a position to:
a) either render or fully decode MQA
b) listen to undecoded MQA files.
No thanks and for £9.99 more a month than Qobuz. Ha ha - complete joke.

Feb 20, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,970 of 2,153
I'm not at all interested in MQA and just have the Tidal Hi-Fi $10 version. Aren't all the songs then CD quality?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #1,971 of 2,153
I'm not at all interested in MQA and just have the Tidal Hi-Fi $10 version. Aren't all the songs then CD quality?
Not necessarily. In some cases I tested before I cancelled, the redbook had been removed entirely and only a down sampled MQA master version is being used to stream on the lossless tier chosen, in all the hazy greatness :smirk: In fact, it's even hazier.

Feb 21, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #1,972 of 2,153
For £10.83 a month you could have a Qobuz subscription (providing you pay in one annual payment as opposed to 12 monthly payments).
That's access to Redbook CD quality and Hi-res quality for about the same price as your undecoded MQA alternative (Tidal).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,973 of 2,153
Not for me - what are you running Qobuz on? After 40+ minutes there is no download activity and the network is NOT the issue...
It works fine on iOS and WIN 11. They have acknowledged that the function is broken, but they have not fixed it yet.
I've managed to download over 300gb on the 7.0.x.x beta. What I've found is that my device needs to kept active in order for downloads to keep working. So if I play some music that's on my sd card through the stock player on my ibasso dx240 on a loop, then Qobuz keeps downloading (or importing as they like to call it). If I don't then downloads slow to nothing or just stop. That's a pretty weird bit of behaviour.

That said, downloads are still slow compared to Apple, and, even more oddly, downloading CD quality is slower than High Res... go figure!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #1,974 of 2,153
and, even more oddly, downloading CD quality is slower than High Res... go figure!
I'm not sure about this, but I think this is because the tracks are stored in the highest available FLAC resolution and converted to lower resolutions as they are streamed / downloaded. If that is the case, it might account for the slower download speeds.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #1,976 of 2,153
I've managed to download over 300gb on the 7.0.x.x beta. What I've found is that my device needs to kept active in order for downloads to keep working. So if I play some music that's on my sd card through the stock player on my ibasso dx240 on a loop, then Qobuz keeps downloading (or importing as they like to call it). If I don't then downloads slow to nothing or just stop. That's a pretty weird bit of behaviour.

That said, downloads are still slow compared to Apple, and, even more oddly, downloading CD quality is slower than High Res... go figure!
So, I am now running Beta 7.0.2.1 and downloads are now working. I had to delete the previous version (which deleted downloaded music). Re-installed and downloads started saving locally. HOWEVER - the defaults for storage reset to on device so I ran out of room quickly...started over again, made sure that the sd card was the download target and started again. Hope to have everything downloaded by the end of the weekend. I have also found that, if you keep the player plugged into a power supply and let the screen timeout on it's own, downloads will continue. Qobuz has to be the primary app and not minimized for another.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,977 of 2,153
So, I am now running Beta 7.0.2.1 and downloads are now working. I had to delete the previous version (which deleted downloaded music). Re-installed and downloads started saving locally. HOWEVER - the defaults for storage reset to on device so I ran out of room quickly...started over again, made sure that the sd card was the download target and started again. Hope to have everything downloaded by the end of the weekend. I have also found that, if you keep the player plugged into a power supply and let the screen timeout on it's own, downloads will continue. Qobuz has to be the primary app and not minimized for another.
Sadly, here we go again...downloads for off-line listening has stopped working. Tracks show as queued for download but nothing happens (after 30+ minutes) - nothing has changed on my device so I am beginning to think it's a Qobuz server issue. I REALLY don't want to redownload the app, and download all of my music again.

Mar 22, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #1,978 of 2,153
Sadly, here we go again...downloads for off-line listening has stopped working. Tracks show as queued for download but nothing happens (after 30+ minutes) - nothing has changed on my device so I am beginning to think it's a Qobuz server issue. I REALLY don't want to redownload the app, and download all of my music again.
Have you tried pause and resume? Also, I need to have another app running for downloads to work. They are slow and it's far from perfect.

Mar 22, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #1,979 of 2,153
Have you tried pause and resume? Also, I need to have another app running for downloads to work. They are slow and it's far from perfect.
Once the attempt to download has started, there is no way to pause/resume. In fact the only way to stop the process is to just kill downloads. I reported it again to Qobuz - and got this response -

Fiio uses a bespoke version of the android software. That can cause issues with our app. I look forward to hearing what they say about the product they make.

Please keep me posted.

To which I replied that was nonsense as there had been no change in the Fiio app prior to the break - Qobuz acknowledged there was a bug previously and they would fix it. So I guess the message here is if the app doesn't work - too bad.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #1,980 of 2,153
Once the attempt to download has started, there is no way to pause/resume. In fact the only way to stop the process is to just kill downloads. I reported it again to Qobuz - and got this response -

Fiio uses a bespoke version of the android software. That can cause issues with our app. I look forward to hearing what they say about the product they make.

Please keep me posted.

To which I replied that was nonsense as there had been no change in the Fiio app prior to the break - Qobuz acknowledged there was a bug previously and they would fix it. So I guess the message here is if the app doesn't work - too bad.
The 7.1.0.0 beta has just been dropped, and downloads are a lot, lot faster - for now at least. Maybe give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back