Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jun 4, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #1,816 of 2,150
Tidal failed my listening tests in 2020 before the goldensound video. I've been loyal to quobuz ever since. Now people might be more willing to listen to me say that Tidal sounds bad.... definitely doesn't stack up to lossless.

Quobuz apps apps for both PC and android have never been great. The PC app has never switched the sample rate on my converter properly between songs during bit-perfect playback. I haven't checked lately though because...

ROON. Quobuz plus ROON is the way.

Fantastic. And the credits and related artists make it more like how good Spotify is at that. It really brings the experience up the ultimate.

I wish that the Quobuz app was as good as Roon, but I cannot demand that for the price. The combined price of the two is worth far more than the amazing experience that is delivered, so I am a happy customer of both companies.

Bit-perfect playback with an ASIO driver is something I can never preach about enough. Good stuff. The digital pre-DAC side of the HI-FI experience.
Yeah, Qobuz on Android and iOS are sooo good, aided by UAPP on Android. And agreed, Roon with Qobuz currently is the greatest. I just wish Roon would (1) provide a Linux port in addition to their Windows and Apple main apps, and (2) maybe maybe get a port to Android (DAPs). But no. 2 wouldn‘t really work, small screen, battery consumption due to increased screen time.

The one thing I would really and above all like to see more is a request to the record companies / label houses: Please provide the booklets in pdf format for as many albums as possible, new ones, old ones, streaming, purchased downloads !!! Such booklets are the last existing link back to the days of old vinyl and CDs. Qobuz is already as great at that as is possible, Tidal just has none (due to the repertoire, lol - sorry).

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #1,817 of 2,150
Jun 4, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #1,818 of 2,150
I found that tidal released new albums late in the day prior to the official release. I’m EST. Not sure if that’s still the case as I dropped them. That was a few months ago. I’m guessing they aren't long for this space, anecdotally it sounds like they’ve been bleeding subscribers.

Jun 4, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,819 of 2,150
I found that tidal released new albums late in the day prior to the official release. I’m EST. Not sure if that’s still the case as I dropped them. That was a few months ago. I’m guessing they aren't long for this space, anecdotally it sounds like they’ve been bleeding subscribers.
That seems to be true - news on their revenues indicate a steady decline over the last three quarters:
https://musically.com/2022/05/06/block-financials-hint-at-tidals-latest-revenue-figures/

Jun 4, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #1,821 of 2,150
Yeah, Qobuz on Android and iOS are sooo good, aided by UAPP on Android. And agreed, Roon with Qobuz currently is the greatest. I just wish Roon would (1) provide a Linux port in addition to their Windows and Apple main apps, and (2) maybe maybe get a port to Android (DAPs). But no. 2 wouldn‘t really work, small screen, battery consumption due to increased screen time.

The one thing I would really and above all like to see more is a request to the record companies / label houses: Please provide the booklets in pdf format for as many albums as possible, new ones, old ones, streaming, purchased downloads !!! Such booklets are the last existing link back to the days of old vinyl and CDs. Qobuz is already as great at that as is possible, Tidal just has none (due to the repertoire, lol - sorry).
Roon endpoint is implemented on AK daps.

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #1,822 of 2,150
Perhaps you saw that Qobuz acquired E-onkyo Music, a Japanese online service that sells hi-res downloads including DSD.
https://www.hiresaudio.online/qobuz-expands-into-japan/

Qobuz previously announced DSD twice in the past without anything happening.
2015: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/22347-qobuz-to-sell-dsd-downloads-in-2015/
Qobuz announced in their New Year message that they are going to offer DSD downloads, including previously unreleased DSD files.
2017: http://blogsv2.qobuz.com/qobuz-blog-en/2017/04/03/march-29-2017-our-new-announcements-qobuzisback/
There are also great deals on purchasing the downloads for all the albums – and from september 2017, there will be albums in DSD format, the ultimate format for audio fans.
DSD downloads at a discount with Sublime membership would be, well...sublime. I am already enjoying my sublime subscription but that would cement the deal, customer for life!

Jun 5, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #1,823 of 2,150
Tidal failed my listening tests in 2020 before the goldensound video. I've been loyal to quobuz ever since. Now people might be more willing to listen to me say that Tidal sounds bad.... definitely doesn't stack up to lossless.

Quobuz apps apps for both PC and android have never been great. The PC app has never switched the sample rate on my converter properly between songs during bit-perfect playback. I haven't checked lately though because...

ROON. Quobuz plus ROON is the way.

Fantastic. And the credits and related artists make it more like how good Spotify is at that. It really brings the experience up the ultimate.

I wish that the Quobuz app was as good as Roon, but I cannot demand that for the price. The combined price of the two is worth far more than the amazing experience that is delivered, so I am a happy customer of both companies.

Bit-perfect playback with an ASIO driver is something I can never preach about enough. Good stuff. The digital pre-DAC side of the HI-FI experience.
Qobuz also sounds good through Audirvana on a PC/laptop setup. It's great that software like Audirvana (PC) and UAPP (Android) are compatible with the likes of Qobuz and Tidal - you need never use the Qobuz and Tidal native apps; the biggest plus being the elimination of any worries/issues of upsampling through Android/PC mixers. True audio fidelity as it is should be from source to ears. I currently pay for both Qobuz and Tidal and as much as I can afford both, I am growing less tolerant in my justification at having both. Paying a year's subsription for Qobuz's Studio tier (as opposed to monthly) works out at £12 a month versus £19.99 for Tidal. Thinking of ditching the latter TBH

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #1,824 of 2,150
Qobuz also sounds good through Audirvana on a PC/laptop setup. It's great that software like Audirvana (PC) and UAPP (Android) are compatible with the likes of Qobuz and Tidal - you need never use the Qobuz and Tidal native apps; the biggest plus being the elimination of any worries/issues of upsampling through Android/PC mixers. True audio fidelity as it is should be from source to ears. I currently pay for both Qobuz and Tidal and as much as I can afford both, I am growing less tolerant in my justification at having both. Paying a year's subsription for Qobuz's Studio tier (as opposed to monthly) works out at £12 a month versus £19.99 for Tidal. Thinking of ditching the latter TBH
I tested Audirvana for a while and it was a bad experience for me. It never could switch my DAC between sample rates without glitching a lot. It allowed loading up VSTs which was an excellent feature. It just wasn't stable at all with my hardware. It did indeed sound good though, but it wasn't usable for me.

I don't see any reason to have Tidal. It did not sound lossless and the MQA scam and also other cases of dishonestly is not something I can look past even if they cleaned up. I am not the customer that will put up with their nonsense. I dropped them after a listening test before I learned about the depth of their audiophile transgressions haha.

Jul 2, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #1,825 of 2,150
I just cancelled my Tidal subscription. I had made some great playlists, but noticed that a bunch of my songs started graying out because Tidal wasn't paying the licenses. Sorry, but I'm literally paying them for access to that music.

If they want to delete my beloved classics to add even MORE garbage music by Blac Chyna.etc they can have fun losing their paying customers. I even took out a short position on SQ to profit off their forthcoming downfall as I'm also bearish on square and cashapp. Sooooo....are we liking Qobuz or Amazon HD for streaming now? Which has a better interface?

Jul 2, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #1,826 of 2,150
noticed that a bunch of my songs started graying out because Tidal wasn't paying the licenses.
Are you sure that was the reason? When a track or album disappears, sometimes it is because the record label withdrew it from all streaming services. If you list some of the items, I can check Qobuz.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #1,827 of 2,150
Can anyone confirm whether the native Qobuz app plays bit perfect through Android? My LG phones' (V30 & V40) DACs are capable of 192kHz 32bit. Android is notorious for upsampling 44.1kHz to 48kHz. Don't get me wrong, I usually use UAPP to get round this, but prefer the UI of the Qobuz app. Thanks.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:59 PM Post #1,828 of 2,150
Can anyone confirm whether the native Qobuz app plays bit perfect through Android? My LG phones' (V30 & V40) DACs are capable of 192kHz 32bit. Android is notorious for upsampling 44.1kHz to 48kHz. Don't get me wrong, I usually use UAPP to get round this, but prefer the UI of the Qobuz app. Thanks.

Yes, the Qobuz app plays bitperfect through Android, yet UAPP still sounds better...

Jul 21, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #1,829 of 2,150
Yes, the Qobuz app plays bitperfect through Android, yet UAPP still sounds better...
The Qobuz app does not play bit perfectly through Android on a phone. Only if you have an an android DAP that has removed SRC. To get bit perfect Qobuz on android you need UAPP - that's why it sounds better - if you have a LG phone with a good DAC then you may not need an external usb DAC to get the benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back