Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,397 of 2,154
Qobuz's android app is much better than its desktop app IMHO. I'm currently streaming Qobuz from my phone to my WM1A via LDAC and haven't experienced any stuttering or buffering. I also tried streaming Apple Music using the same signal path. I have to say Qobuz sounds much better than Apple Music to my ears. The differences between lossless vs compressed music are real.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,398 of 2,154
I am experiencing sudden stuttering/freezing issue sometimes in the middle of a song, but not that much. My Mac (2017 Pro model, 2 TB, basic CPU) must be heavily charged because I often hear the ventilation working when Qobuz is active... Don't know why because I thought the DAC was doing all the work to decode the 24 bit format. Otherwise, sound's quality is obviously superb, and no buffering issue when a song starts.

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #1,402 of 2,154
I've experienced issues performance after a while : the application (Mac) is very demanding and unstable, not very responsive too. My MacBook Pro (2017, 2 TB so yes it's the very basic version but still...) is heating and ventilating quickly comparing to Tidal or Audirvana.

I switched to Audirvana with a trial and not only is it more stable but also less demanding. I just prefer the interface of the Qobuz desktop app. The integration in Audirvana works well for most part. A bit disappointed by the desktop app, there are a lot to improve. Maybe on Windows with a more expansive configuration would it be more stable, I don't know.

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,403 of 2,154
I've experienced issues performance after a while : the application (Mac) is very demanding and unstable, not very responsive too. My MacBook Pro (2017, 2 TB so yes it's the very basic version but still...) is heating and ventilating quickly comparing to Tidal or Audirvana.

I switched to Audirvana with a trial and not only is it more stable but also less demanding. I just prefer the interface of the Qobuz desktop app. The integration in Audirvana works well for most part. A bit disappointed by the desktop app, there are a lot to improve. Maybe on Windows with a more expansive configuration would it be more stable, I don't know.

The Qobuz app is very demanding, but I've noticed over the last year each new release has been less resource-intensive and more responsive even on my slowest PC. The product manager promised they would be working on that, and so indeed they have been.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #1,405 of 2,154
Anyway, I've switched again to Audirvana and the sound is a bit more transparent, accurate, aerial/opened. Bass more controlled too. I just realized I could simply switch between the Web player and Audirvana if I wanted. Funny fact : when I was writing my comment, I discovered there was an tutorial on the Web player (top bottom) that explain the benefits of Audirvana :beerchug:

The video is in French but maybe there is the same in English. The guy just explains how to integrate Qobuz into Audirvana and how to use it (research, playlists, albums you bought...)

I am going to take a license soon enough.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,407 of 2,154
The changes in sound are relative, quite subtle. Not night and day of course. The desktop app and webplayer sound already nice.

But much more stability and less resources required with Audirvana. With the Desktop app I had to much troubles in a performance perspective.

Jan 1, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #1,408 of 2,154
The Qobuz desktop app for Mac is eating my cpu alive... ok, it's a 2010 Mac Mini but dual 2,3GHZ with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD. With Audirvana I can have it run with less then 1% CPU usage streaming 24/192...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 17.54.58.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-01 at 17.54.58.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,409 of 2,154
The Qobuz desktop app for Mac is eating my cpu alive... ok, it's a 2010 Mac Mini but dual 2,3GHZ with 8GB RAM and a 250GB SSD. With Audirvana I can have it run with less then 1% CPU usage streaming 24/192...

I've given up on Qobuz and am letting my annual membership lapse.

As for Audirvana, with SysOpt running, it does slow down my 2017 i7 iMac quite a bit. Check if you have SysOpt running as it's designed to ensure the best possible sound quality and will eat up a lot of your CPU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back