Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,156 of 2,145
Installed the new Qobuz app (the one with the dark mode 5.6.2) on the @FiiO M11, clearly in the hope that I finally could enjoy my rather expensive Qobuz subscription.
All my hopes are gone, if anything it is worse. After I pressed the icon for the first time, it took approx.10 minutes to start for the first time. Then it asked me if I wanted to use the new dark mode. After I confirmed that it went „dark“ and again we are back to 10 minutes for starting. It is just horrible.
Downloads in simple 44.1 are still taking ages, compared to Amazon Music HD in Ultra HD or Spotify in best quality. Very often they do not work at all.
They really want me to quit.
Don`t forget they German Qobuz team recommended the FiiO M11: https://www.qobuz.com/ch-de/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Best-of-Hi-Fi-2019-Die-besten-Hi182629

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #1,157 of 2,145
Qobuz windows app has been driving me nuts with how often the song stops playing and I have to manually switch to the next song to get it playing again. I really dont understand how hard it is for them to implement windows media controls so i can hit play pause with my keyboard.

Mar 6, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #1,158 of 2,145
I really dont understand how hard it is for them to implement windows media controls so i can hit play pause with my keyboard.
My Lenovo laptop has media control keys (Fn button + cursor arrow keys) and they work fine with all of my music players (Qobuz, Spotify, Tidal). The app doesn't even need to be on top. In the Qobuz app, play/pause can also be toggled with the space bar.
20200306_115955.jpg

Qobuz windows app has been driving me nuts with how often the song stops playing and I have to manually switch to the next song to get it playing again.
This happens to me fairly regularly (a few times a day), and it is very frustrating. When I begin playing an album I can never be sure that it will play all the way to the end. I can see on the player progress bar that caching has stopped somewhere ahead on the track, and when the player reaches that point everything just stops. The Qobuz app is much more unreliable than Tidal or Spotify.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #1,159 of 2,145
My Lenovo laptop has media control keys (Fn button + cursor arrow keys) and they work fine with all of my music players (Qobuz, Spotify, Tidal). The app doesn't even need to be on top. In the Qobuz app, play/pause can also be toggled with the space bar.
20200306_115955.jpg
This happens to me fairly regularly (a few times a day), and it is very frustrating. When I begin playing an album I can never be sure that it will play all the way to the end. I can see on the player progress bar that caching has stopped somewhere ahead on the track, and when the player reaches that point everything just stops. The Qobuz app is much more unreliable than Tidal or Spotify.
I actually just found this in qobuz "shortcuts" it says cntrl + arrow keys, whats frustrating is i have dedicated media buttons that dont work with the app.

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,160 of 2,145
I actually just found this in qobuz "shortcuts" it says cntrl + arrow keys, whats frustrating is i have dedicated media buttons that dont work with the app.

What keyboard do you use? I have the same issue but, in my case, media keys stopped working for other apps as well when I switched to Logitech MX Keys. Used to work fine on the old Logitech MX800 so I just assumed it was my keyboard. Will have to try your shortcut.

Mar 10, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #1,162 of 2,145
What keyboard do you use? I have the same issue but, in my case, media keys stopped working for other apps as well when I switched to Logitech MX Keys. Used to work fine on the old Logitech MX800 so I just assumed it was my keyboard. Will have to try your shortcut.
the qobuz shortcuts also only work if the app is in the foreground for me. Its super frustrating. And my media keys work fine with spotify even when im in a game. Steel series keyboard

Mar 10, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #1,163 of 2,145

Thanks. Will look into it to see if something has changed but I believe I installed the software when I set it up but after hours of troubleshooting and after a search on the web; I realized it was a common issue. I even tried editing some of the files after installation based on some search results I found but no luck. I had given up and; as a workaround, just keep my ES100 hooked up to my speakers and use my phone to stream to the ES100 when I'm at my desktop.

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,164 of 2,145
I've got TIDAL and I've just subscribed to Qobuz for a year and have spent a couple of weeks manually moving my TIDAL playlists over - manually as I wanted to select the best version of a song in Qobuz. First off, the sound quality of Qobuz is a lot better than TIDAL's for my audio setup and my ears.

However, the UI is very, very poor. Qobuz support is totally useless (at least TIDAL sometimes send you a semi-helpful reply, Qobuz doesn't in my experience). A fair amount of the songs that I have in my TIDAL playlists are missing too. TIDAL's equivalent of My Mix is missing. But I'm hoping that over the next year that many of those missing tracks and features will be added to Qobuz.

Two things in particular that I'm struggling with at the moment:

1. How can I search for a song in one my playlists?

2. If I try to add a song into a playlist that is already in that playlist, why doesn't Qobuz warn me? TIDAL warns me that the song is already in the playlist and I have the option to add it anyway or cancel.

Any fixes/workarounds welcome!

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #1,165 of 2,145
When the price (in UK) dropped to a fiver less than Tidal I had to give it a shot. I think I like it and might stay with it but: there are two things that bother me: discovery and suggestions are almost non existent and the search is flaky. Example - I was convinced something wasn’t available having multiple failed searches. I eventually came across it by accident. Tidal would have guessed what I wanted and suggested it.
many one got any tips on discovering new music?

Mar 13, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #1,167 of 2,145
NPR's First Listen and Tiny Desk programs are how I have discovered a few bands. I also follow bands I like and their labels on social media (namely twitter). Some bands will comment on bands they like, labels will promote new artists and albums they have, and sometimes you find just random things. I learned about Cruel Diagonals, an artist who does field recordings and electronic music thanks to a joke tweet she made that was retweeted a few times and wound up on my feed. I looked her up and loved her stuff.

EDIT: I will add some of Qobuz's articles are good to for finding stuff. I saw an article about Hiromi and had never heard of her. Decided to listen to her new album, "Spectrum", and loved it. Wound up seeing her earlier this week.

I will also sometimes browse the new releases to see if anything jumps out at me. Sometimes I will queue an album or two to see what I think of it.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #1,168 of 2,145
I use Soundiiz every week or two to import playlists from other platforms. Alot of the tracks generate errors because it can't find an exact match but once in a while there will be something new I'm interested In.

Mar 13, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #1,169 of 2,145
If you are having glitches with the Qobuz app there is always the option of trying Audirvana free for 30 days. It has been pretty bulletproof for me.

Mar 14, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #1,170 of 2,145
I am leaving Tidal today after using it for a full year. I am fed up with how it peddles MQA. Before I tolerated it because it had better selection (still has a wider selection) but it was the last straw for me when I got Roon and kept trying to figure out how to do the 1st decoding via Roon or my streamer, and I realized midway that Qobuz having most to all of the songs I listen to. The selection of songs on Qobuz is growing and it will only get better.

Of course these are just my opinions.

Tidal is great, but for it to peddle MQA, encourage users to get MQA gear, stress people out about their gear suddenly becoming "obsolete" and basically just a money grab to sell music twice, gladly taking my money elsewhere and supporting Qobuz instead.

Here is my middle finger to all that 1st fold, 2nd fold BS. I no longer need to worry about that, sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back