Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jun 12, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,291 of 2,130
Is there a way to track the total number of albums and tracks on Qobuz available for streaming in the USA? I want to see if they're making any progress in expanding the North American catalog.
There is no way to "track" the number of albums/tracks for any of the streaming services. We only know the information they announce in press releases.

There is an unofficial list of MQA tracks on Tidal, in a .csv file. The link is in the first post here: https://www.meridianunplugged.com/....1

As far as I know Qobuz hasn't announced numbers since their initial launch in the USA, but I have noticed solid improvements in the catalog.

Jun 12, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,292 of 2,130
There is an unofficial list of MQA tracks on Tidal, in a .csv file. The link is in the first post here: https://www.meridianunplugged.com/....1

As far as I know Qobuz hasn't announced numbers since their initial launch in the USA, but I have noticed solid improvements in the catalog.

In which genres of music have you noticed improvements in the library? I haven't seen any in blues or jazz.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #1,293 of 2,130
In which genres of music have you noticed improvements in the library? I haven't seen any in blues or jazz.
I've noticed improvements in classical (90% of my listening). Generally gaps in the Qobuz catalog are related to smaller independent record labels that they haven't signed up yet. If you notice that albums you find missing are from particular labels, then that is the likely reason. It's a slow process (negotiating contracts with each label) and it may take some time before Qobuz will become satisfactory for you.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #1,294 of 2,130
Having spent several months manually converting my TIDAL playlists to Qobuz, I've found that Qobuz lacks around 20-25% of my TIDAL songs. I listen mainly to smooth jazz and the TIDAL catalogue is superb for this genre. However, frustratingly, many of those smooth jazz tracks are in 24-bit Hi-Res in Qobuz and only in 16-bit CD-quality in TIDAL.

TIDAL's search and song recommendations are a universe ahead of Qobuz.

I'm running both in parallel this year and often use TIDAL to find new music and then try to locate the same song in Qobuz.

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #1,295 of 2,130
I had Tidal for about 3 years and Qobuz for over a year. I found it goes both ways as far the library goes, some things in Tidal not in Qobuz and vice versa. I consistently liked Qobuz better for SQ. I like the fact that I don’t need a MQA DAC to get the best sound from Qobuz.

Jun 13, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,296 of 2,130

Last fall they said they were adding about 10,000 albums a day, and at that time I noticed some jazz, rock, and folk artists' Qobuz catalogs grow from just a few albums to about a dozen each, which was good progress but none were complete. I've been tracking a couple of interesting (to me) edge cases, in European Jazz and Canadian folk/rock, and have asked for an update on another forum where they maintain a two semiofficial threads: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...thread/page/118/?tab=comments#comment-1060159

Jun 13, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,297 of 2,130
I won’t complain about the catalogs, you can’t have it all, but....
how difficult is it to fix the right image to a track/album?
I like to listen to opera for example La Boheme, comes in a lot of versions and recordings.
When I start one, with the first track, it always goes wrong with the second track, often goes to the second cd somewhere in the middle.
This happens more than it doesn’t.
Am I the only one having this?

Jun 13, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #1,298 of 2,130
I won’t complain about the catalogs, you can’t have it all, but....
how difficult is it to fix the right image to a track/album?
I like to listen to opera for example La Boheme, comes in a lot of versions and recordings.
When I start one, with the first track, it always goes wrong with the second track, often goes to the second cd somewhere in the middle.
This happens more than it doesn’t.
Am I the only one having this?

Yes, I have this on several tracks. Also, their desktop app freezes. So I have to use the webplayer. Subscriptioon expired July 2.

Jun 14, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #1,299 of 2,130
Last fall they said they were adding about 10,000 albums a day, and at that time I noticed some jazz, rock, and folk artists' Qobuz catalogs grow from just a few albums to about a dozen each, which was good progress but none were complete. I've been tracking a couple of interesting (to me) edge cases, in European Jazz and Canadian folk/rock, and have asked for an update on another forum where they maintain a two semiofficial threads: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...thread/page/118/?tab=comments#comment-1060159

@Blueshound24 I received a reply: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...thread/page/119/?tab=comments#comment-1060482

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,300 of 2,130
Qobuz is so frustrating! I prefer the sound quality over TIDAL and I've found a fair few Hi-Res tracks. However, the catalogue for my musical tastes is still somewhat limited compared to TIDAL.

But, the thing that really irks me greatly about Qobuz is that there's no easy way to discover new music based on the currently playing track (and my music preference). Qobuz also doesn't appear to recommend any new music to me, based on the songs I most frequently listen to.

TIDAL has the My Mix feature and the Track Radio feature. I find these invaluable for discovering new music. I'm currently just using TIDAL to discover new music and then locating the new songs in Qobuz. It's an expensive way of doing things as I have to keep two subscriptions active.

Has anyone found a way to emulate the My Mix and Track Radio features of TIDAL in Qobuz?

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:52 PM Post #1,301 of 2,130
Qobuz is so frustrating! I prefer the sound quality over TIDAL and I've found a fair few Hi-Res tracks. However, the catalogue for my musical tastes is still somewhat limited compared to TIDAL.

But, the thing that really irks me greatly about Qobuz is that there's no easy way to discover new music based on the currently playing track (and my music preference). Qobuz also doesn't appear to recommend any new music to me, based on the songs I most frequently listen to.

TIDAL has the My Mix feature and the Track Radio feature. I find these invaluable for discovering new music. I'm currently just using TIDAL to discover new music and then locating the new songs in Qobuz. It's an expensive way of doing things as I have to keep two subscriptions active.

Has anyone found a way to emulate the My Mix and Track Radio features of TIDAL in Qobuz?

That's the exact reasons I went back to Tidal, (again).

It's great to be able to find all my favs in Blues and Jazz, and love the My Mix and Track Radio.

And it seemed to me Qobuz was in no hurry to fill in its gaps in its library for my genre preferences.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #1,302 of 2,130
That's the exact reasons I went back to Tidal, (again).

It's great to be able to find all my favs in Blues and Jazz, and love the My Mix and Track Radio.

And it seemed to me Qobuz was in no hurry to fill in its gaps in its library for my genre preferences.

I agree. At the end of this year I have to ditch one purely on cost grounds. I have now found a roundabout way of finding more of my kind of music in Qobuz by searching for public playlists. My music preference is Smooth Jazz so a search for this term in Qobuz produces many playlists created by other users of Qobuz and then made public. It’s an okay method to use for now until Qobuz produces a UI that is more modern and has better music discovery features.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #1,303 of 2,130
I agree. At the end of this year I have to ditch one purely on cost grounds. I have now found a roundabout way of finding more of my kind of music in Qobuz by searching for public playlists. My music preference is Smooth Jazz so a search for this term in Qobuz produces many playlists created by other users of Qobuz and then made public. It’s an okay method to use for now until Qobuz produces a UI that is more modern and has better music discovery features.

I forgot to mention that recently I subscribed to a yearly sub with Tidal for $100/year for the first year, then $120/year from then on. So it works out to $10/month for Tidal's mostly full library for my tastes. I just have to learn to ignore all the Rap/Hip Hop schiit being pushed so much.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #1,304 of 2,130

Roon will emulate the My Mix for Qobuz if you use a computer mostly to listen. Yes, there is a cost to ROON ($120/year) but some of the extra Roon features might be worth the difference between the cost of Subscribing to Qobuz and Roon ($150 + $120 - $270 per year) vs. Tidal ($20 per months - $240 per year). Not sure if Tidal has an annual purchase discount - they didn't for the longest time.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,305 of 2,130

Roon does this pretty well and merges your streaming library with your local library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back