Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jan 25, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #1,111 of 2,145
It's good to have choices. I come from Tidal and I couldn't stand the rap and modern pop they kept pushing on the front page. Qobuz works although I admit the UI needs more updating. Give them some time as I remember Tidal had some initial issues as well.

Yes the rap is a thing indeed. But everything is nice categorized where as Qobuz is a walk in the dark for genres and recommendations. But like I said the steaming quality is sublime.

As for Roon, at first i don't live that big. And i really can't pull my wallet on a piece of software where I have to subscribe to. I am confident it's a great piece of tool to organize your library and stream anywhere. But these days there are lots of apps which makes a system like Roon not needed IMO.
Plus the fact that there is a pc running 24/7.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,112 of 2,145
Yes the rap is a thing indeed. But everything is nice categorized where as Qobuz is a walk in the dark for genres and recommendations. But like I said the steaming quality is sublime.

As for Roon, at first i don't live that big. And i really can't pull my wallet on a piece of software where I have to subscribe to. I am confident it's a great piece of tool to organize your library and stream anywhere. But these days there are lots of apps which makes a system like Roon not needed IMO.
Plus the fact that there is a pc running 24/7.
I dropped Tidal once to try Qobuz and then also trialed Amazon HD. The focus on genres I'm not interested in on Tidal did irk me some but I got over it when I found so many catalog gaps and buggy software for Qobuz. Amazon HD is also buggy and the SQ wasn't good enough. The nitpicking here is relentless of which I'm guilty, too. I wish Qobuz had a better selection, worked well with PC and Android device, was consistent enough to keep it, and, most importantly, would pull music suggestions into My Mix like Tidal does.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #1,114 of 2,145
Signed me up for a trial of Qobuz. And the Hi-res quality is very impressive!! Great sound quality.

But the UI of the app!! Damn that's real bad.

I was looking through the most played songs in 2019. I can conclude to the types of the songs.
Qobuz is targeted to the older audience. All the golden oldies are there.
The main stream hit pop songs are barely to find.
EDM is hardly to find in the recommendations.
Also u think Qobuz is targeted more to the Audiophile audience. Lots of unknown albums and artists.

I come from Deezer and Tidal... But i think I wont be a customer of Qobuz.
The lack of playlists for pop songs was also a deal-breaker for me. Qobuz does have a pop hits playlist but it is probably updated once in couple of months...
For music streaming services, playlists, especially the ones generated by algorithms to cater music listeners' taste, are most important now as gaps in library size are definitely narrowing down.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #1,115 of 2,145
I'm loving Qobuz but I'm having the same problems everyone else is: laggy/buggy app, lack of playlists, bad search functionality. In general their panroamas are a really cool feature, but their music recommendation system is awful. I mean, it's basically non-existent.

IMO, for streaming, music recommendation algos are HUGE. There's so much stuff on a given platform, without some sort of solid recommendation system, it's all just noise. I still have a Spotify account that I use just for lossy listening (with the kids, in the car, etc) and the recommendation system on Spotify is amazing.

Still, Qobuz sounds great. And there's some really good music on there, you just gotta dig for it. I think Qobuz can be really fantastic but they have a lot of work to do. And with Amazon going HD.... really if Spotify ever adds a high quality lossless tier (that doesn't go the MQA route like Tidal), Qobuz is probably done for.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:39 AM Post #1,116 of 2,145
I'm loving Qobuz but I'm having the same problems everyone else is: laggy/buggy app, lack of playlists, bad search functionality. In general their panroamas are a really cool feature, but their music recommendation system is awful. I mean, it's basically non-existent.

IMO, for streaming, music recommendation algos are HUGE. There's so much stuff on a given platform, without some sort of solid recommendation system, it's all just noise. I still have a Spotify account that I use just for lossy listening (with the kids, in the car, etc) and the recommendation system on Spotify is amazing.

Still, Qobuz sounds great. And there's some really good music on there, you just gotta dig for it. I think Qobuz can be really fantastic but they have a lot of work to do. And with Amazon going HD.... really if Spotify ever adds a high quality lossless tier (that doesn't go the MQA route like Tidal), Qobuz is probably done for.

I am really trying to like it. But still searching my way.

Why you don't like MQA.?? Because of the less content? And mostly rap related?

I am also running Deezer HiFi (try out subscription) and that's really nice I think. Great UI... Recommendations are correct. Easy to search on mood, type of music.

Very enthusiastic about it.

Of course less sound quality as Qobuz Hi-res subscription.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #1,117 of 2,145

I am also running Deezer HiFi (try out subscription) and that's really nice I think. Great UI... Recommendations are correct. Easy to search on mood, type of music.

Yeah well I guess MQA is not a huge deal now that the Android app supports it. I use my phone as my source mostly so it was annoying when Master quality stuff didn't work. But yeah I don't need hip-hop or pop in HiFi quality, just my personal preference.

I actually forgot all about Deezer, gonna give that a try. Thanks!

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #1,119 of 2,145

Of course less sound quality as Qobuz Hi-res subscription.

Thanks for pointing out Deezer HiFi. Forgot all about this service. It's cool that now have Flac streaming officially available. Previously you could only get the HiFi tier if you owned a particular device.

Jan 28, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #1,121 of 2,145
@Detectit @botherly

Just trialed Deezer Hi Fi and compared it directly to Qobuz on my portable setup. Sound quality of Deezer is distinctly inferior to Qobuz. It's quite noticable through my portable setup with the HD650.

Yeah I'm playing around with Deezer this morning as well and I agree. I believe Deezer is limited to 16/44, which is fine, but for the price (15/month) I'd rather have the option of getting some legit hires. Which basically leaves Qobuz, Tidal, and Amazon HD as the best options. Qobuz has a pathetically bad app, Amazon is the dark evil empire, and Tidal is fine I guess. Overall I think Qobuz remains my favorite, it's just SUCH a pain to use.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #1,122 of 2,145
Yeah I'm playing around with Deezer this morning as well and I agree. I believe Deezer is limited to 16/44, which is fine, but for the price (15/month) I'd rather have the option of getting some legit hires. Which basically leaves Qobuz, Tidal, and Amazon HD as the best options. Qobuz has a pathetically bad app, Amazon is the dark evil empire, and Tidal is fine I guess. Overall I think Qobuz remains my favorite, it's just SUCH a pain to use.

It could be the lack of Hi Res that causes Deezer to sound inferior to Qobuz but I think not. The sound just comes across as flat and dull.

Jan 28, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #1,123 of 2,145
I keep with Tidal. Best selection, really good SQ, app is strong and suggestions help discover new music every time I'm online. Qobuz did sound good but the difference running through UAPP on Tidal or QB is not worth the QB app hassle, lack of music for my personal tastes, the lags/lockouts/buffering etc, and just the overall experience.

Jan 28, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,124 of 2,145
It could be the lack of Hi Res that causes Deezer to sound inferior to Qobuz but I think not. The sound just comes across as flat and dull.

I doesn't sound on par indeed with Tidal Master.... But with "normal" resolutions i don't hear much difference. Qobuz wins in all three for sure in sq.
Deezer's great UI .... The option flow radio podcasts and recommendations i will go for Deezer Hifi. And leave Tidal.

If i want to listen high quality I will stream from my Nas.

I mostly use those streaming services to discover new music.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #1,125 of 2,145
I doesn't sound on par indeed with Tidal Master.... But with "normal" resolutions i don't hear much difference. Qobuz wins in all three fo sure.
Deezer's great UI .... The option flow radio podcasts and recommendations i will go for Deezer Hifi. And leave Tidal.

If i want to listen high quality I will stream from my Nas.

I mostly use those streaming services to discover new music.

Yeah, Deezer looks like a better option to Tidal. I have never liked the SQ of Tidal streams nor their app design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back