Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
May 3, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #707 of 2,153
I so far have good experience with Qobuz. I listen to a lot of Bollywood music and I wish those music would come in CD quality one day but till then I am enjoying whatever is available to me. For a while I had Tidal and Qobuz subscription in parallel. While listening to few albums I realized with Qobuz I was able to go up in my volume knob with LP and HD800S combo and that was enough for me to convince that the Qobuz with my gear was smoother compared to Tidal and that convinced me to keep my subscription. Also with Roon and Macbook I haven't faced the issue of application freeze etc. I don't listen a lot thru phone so can't comment on Phone app.

May 6, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #708 of 2,153
Lol. We will keep that a secret.

I’ve just got back into high-end audio and looking at the streaming services. Apple Music is fine for the family and phones etc. but trying out Qobuz and others. The Amazon prospect is good as a Prime member. Is the one-time fee Sublime+ susbscription refundable, pro-rated of course, if you cancel before the year is out? The 40% is attractive.
A couple of months ago I asked Qobuz support if an annual US subscription could be cancelled and a refund issued. I was told that of course the service could be cancelled at any time but that no refunds of any kind would be issued.

May 7, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #709 of 2,153
weird no refunds for annual I've been monthly sure love the service..

May 8, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #711 of 2,153
On a completely other note, Qobuz has the full, 4 “album” version of the Allman Brothers, “Live at the Fillmore East,” in 24/96. This is one of the greatest compilations of live rock, ever. Tidal only has the one album version, The Qobuz sounds sublime from the Hugo2 >Milo>Vérité combo.

May 9, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #712 of 2,153
On Qobuz trial now all devices work except my main desktop, where the App freezes whenever I try to play anything. Have a fast connection so that’s not it. Never any trouble from Tidal. I will troubleshoot again tonight, but if not, trial over, will just stick with Tidal.

May 10, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #713 of 2,153
I am from India and been using qobuz for quite a while using VPN. I think the songs in qobuz have similar master like apple music. I like apple music and prefer it over Spotify. I feel like some songs sound quite different... Especially older songs sound better on apple music like Peter Paul and Mary, John Denver. So far I am finding qobuz sounds very similar to apple music. I am on their trial period now. The Android apple music is horrible to use and the windows itunes doesn't work so smoothly. Not sure I am willing to pay 8 times of what I pay for apple music for the basic package of qobuz. So far I want to enjoy the trial period. .
Me too. I have been using qobuz by using VeePN cause it helps me to prevent any kind of problems. Anyway I prefer it. about the songs in qobuz have similar master like apple music - I have not heard any songs from apple music

May 10, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #714 of 2,153
On Qobuz trial now all devices work except my main desktop, where the App freezes whenever I try to play anything. Have a fast connection so that’s not it. Never any trouble from Tidal. I will troubleshoot again tonight, but if not, trial over, will just stick with Tidal.

It is a common complaint. If you like the content on Qobuz download the free trial of Audirvana player it should fix your problem. Then you have to decide if spending an extra $75 for trouble free desktop playback is worth it to you.

May 13, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #715 of 2,153
It is a common complaint. If you like the content on Qobuz download the free trial of Audirvana player it should fix your problem. Then you have to decide if spending an extra $75 for trouble free desktop playback is worth it to you.
I'm using Audirvana with Qobuz. It works well. I'm also now able to use the desktop version on two of my Windows 10 machines without any problems. This was not always the case. I use Audirvana for two reasons. One is that it does no harm to the music. The other is the ability to see my entire library and use Qobuz in the same place. However, I can see why someone who's having problems with the Qobuz desktop software would be reluctant to spend additional money on another piece of software just to get Qobuz to work. That should not be necessary. And as I say, for me it isn't. I still believe Qobuz to be a better fit for me than Tidal. It sounds great and I very much like the interface, as compared to Tidal.

I think the library is getting better. Yesterday I read an article in the Mosaic Jazz Gazette called "Forty Essential Jazz Solos". The author "..asked a number of musicians to pick their favorite solos and give the reasons why". I decided to make this list a Qobuz playlist. To my surprise and delight, Qobuz had 38 of the forty tracks. Granted, some of them were widely available tunes like "So What" from "Kind of Blue". Others, less so. This gives me hope that they'll one day equal or surpass Tidal's library.

May 13, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #716 of 2,153
I'm using Audirvana with Qobuz. It works well. I'm also now able to use the desktop version on two of my Windows 10 machines without any problems. This was not always the case. I use Audirvana for two reasons. One is that it does no harm to the music. The other is the ability to see my entire library and use Qobuz in the same place. However, I can see why someone who's having problems with the Qobuz desktop software would be reluctant to spend additional money on another piece of software just to get Qobuz to work. That should not be necessary. And as I say, for me it isn't. I still believe Qobuz to be a better fit for me than Tidal. It sounds great and I very much like the interface, as compared to Tidal.

I think the library is getting better. Yesterday I read an article in the Mosaic Jazz Gazette called "Forty Essential Jazz Solos". The author "..asked a number of musicians to pick their favorite solos and give the reasons why". I decided to make this list a Qobuz playlist. To my surprise and delight, Qobuz had 38 of the forty tracks. Granted, some of them were widely available tunes like "So What" from "Kind of Blue". Others, less so. This gives me hope that they'll one day equal or surpass Tidal's library.
Well right now I have Tidal, decided to do a trial on Qobuz, Roon and Audirvana. Frankly you are right, Qobuz alone would not be a reason for me to use Audirvana. Especially since I believe Tidal app is a lot better than Audirvana’s navigation. So for that alone Audirvana is probably out. Roon on the other hand is a lot better, but probably a little much for just navigating the two streaming apps I have. It is slower than either apps on their own as far as playback, so not sure if I really need what it delivers. It depends on whether I decide to keep Qobuz, which I am doubting now. They do all have slightly different sonic signatures from Roon to Audirvana, to Tidal to Qobuz. With Tidal to Qobuz it depends on the title, so that’s harder to judge. Right now because Tidal seems more together I am more inclined to just stay with that and wait for Qobuz to catch up in the US.

May 13, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #717 of 2,153
I very much like Qobuz sound quality however I miss having a remote app. I play Qobuz through a MacBook Pro and would like to have a app on my iPhone/ipad to control it and choose songs etc.
This is available on both iTunes and Spotify. I also think I had it with Tidal but can't remember. I reached out to Qobuz and they said nothing is available at this time.

May 14, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #718 of 2,153
I very much like Qobuz sound quality however I miss having a remote app. I play Qobuz through a MacBook Pro and would like to have a app on my iPhone/ipad to control it and choose songs etc.
This is available on both iTunes and Spotify. I also think I had it with Tidal but can't remember. I reached out to Qobuz and they said nothing is available at this time.

I don't think Tidal has ever had a remote control app either. Qobuz and Tidal subscribers often buy Audirvana or Roon for that sort of thing and other features, but those would probably not be worth the price unless your MacBook is connected to a nice sound system.

Users who are viewing this thread

• dgjl
Back