Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
May 16, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #737 of 2,130
This might not be the most appropriate place to ask, but since my other post is not getting much love :) I would tag on here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/streaming-or-download-for-hi-res.906752/

For those who are purchasing hi-res downloads through Qobuz (or other sources) just curious on the reasoning? I am on the fence about how to rebuild my collection, but always like the idea of having something physical (coming from the CD days) or available for off-line listening. I guess too if the service ever disappears that could be another reason.

I missed your previous note, so here goes.

I started by ripping all my CDs (EAC and MP3tag), but I have also bought a lot of Flac files. We have legacy mp3 files too of music that is ok, but not regarded as essential in Flac (or is unavailable). mp3s also include many (many! BBC OTA recordings).

I have Tidal and Qobuz subs, but will probably drop Tidal if and when Qobuz gets its catalog together. All are managed by Roon with about 10 endpoints, only one of which is a true hifi - the Schiit system.

Why buy Flac? Well, stuff goes walkabout. I have built my library multiple times and had issues with the process and results until I settled on this approach. I bought a LOT from Pristine Audio and regarded them as my backup. They had a server issue and were offline for some time, but more importantly lost their sales records and would not let customers re-download their music. In one of the library builds, iTunes kindly changed all the flaws into their format so I was stuck.

I now try to keep a good backup system that includes a primary copy on NAs, a backup (plus a zipped copy) and an offline backup with Backblaze. It's not, yet, fully automated, but I'm getting there.

Cheers

May 16, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #738 of 2,130
This might not be the most appropriate place to ask, but since my other post is not getting much love :) I would tag on here.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/streaming-or-download-for-hi-res.906752/

For those who are purchasing hi-res downloads through Qobuz (or other sources) just curious on the reasoning? I am on the fence about how to rebuild my collection, but always like the idea of having something physical (coming from the CD days) or available for off-line listening. I guess too if the service ever disappears that could be another reason.

I don't have qobuz because they are not available here after years and years :p

Anyway, I think when you buy downloads it is not specific to Qobuz, check upthread. It's just a file and you can do whatever you want with it.

Some people have too many albums, tapes, CDs etc and don't want to deal with that. If you have space and the money then sure.

I think it's not either or, you can enjoy streaming especially to find new music you like and buy the CD or download if you like it enough.

May 16, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #739 of 2,130
For those who are purchasing hi-res downloads through Qobuz (or other sources) just curious on the reasoning? I am on the fence about how to rebuild my collection, but always like the idea of having something physical (coming from the CD days) or available for off-line listening. I guess too if the service ever disappears that could be another reason

1. Hi-res streaming KILLS your data plan (at least here in the US), so streaming on my phone while not around WiFi is a no-go. I spend a lot of time in my car and playing local files is a much better option
  2. Hi-res options on streaming services come and go. Most of my Tidal playlists on my phone were downloaded as 'Master' quality and worked fine for a while. Recently, those files now show up in my playlists as 'Hi-Fi'. I have to go back into Tidal and remove the files and then re-add them to the download queue, which is a pain and I usually end up just creating new playlists.
  3. Playback flexibility. Once you purchase the file, you can play it back on any software that supports hi-res, and on many more devices.
  4. I'm a media hoarder; I have over 700 blu-rays and UHDs ripped to my Plex server. Totally irrational, but that's the way I am

May 18, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #740 of 2,130
  1. Hi-res streaming KILLS your data plan (at least here in the US), so streaming on my phone while not around WiFi is a no-go. I spend a lot of time in my car and playing local files is a much better option
  2. Hi-res options on streaming services come and go. Most of my Tidal playlists on my phone were downloaded as 'Master' quality and worked fine for a while. Recently, those files now show up in my playlists as 'Hi-Fi'. I have to go back into Tidal and remove the files and then re-add them to the download queue, which is a pain and I usually end up just creating new playlists.
  3. Playback flexibility. Once you purchase the file, you can play it back on any software that supports hi-res, and on many more devices.
  4. I'm a media hoarder; I have over 700 blu-rays and UHDs ripped to my Plex server. Totally irrational, but that's the way I am

Well high res streaming is very low bandwidth compared to video. Here (Czech Republic) it's no problem at all. I can run Tidal Masters over cellular and it's also no problem.

Tidal screwed up the options setting again. After the latest update on Windows player my setting was changed from Masters to Hi! Not even Hifi but hi! I was like What and then I checked the settings and sure enough... so hopefully it is just a screwup in your options after an update and you don't have to fix the playlist.

Nothing wrong with hoarding or having a server or two or three :) I also have all my rips on a server.

May 18, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #741 of 2,130
Do any of y’all happen to use Google Chromecast Audio to stream Qobuz to? If so, what is the highest resolution that you can stream to the Chromecast?

May 18, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #742 of 2,130
Do any of y’all happen to use Google Chromecast Audio to stream Qobuz to? If so, what is the highest resolution that you can stream to the Chromecast?
[I recently rejoined Qobuz to test hi-res streaming on a cocktailAudio X35. Might make up for the broken Windows app on my laptop]
Picking a 24/192 album like Muddy Waters - Folk Singer, it shows as 192 kHz when I play it on my phone, but when I switch to the Chromecast Audio, I only get 96 kHz out. It used to play at 192 kHz, but with cut outs. It's still cutting out occasionally right now at 96 kHz. So to me the Chromecast Audio has been disappointing as a streamer for Qobuz. Even with Spotify I don't really like it because it will randomly stop playing, possibly as a result of some events on my phone.
The cocktailAudio X35 will play 192 kHz seamlessly. Until it crashes, that is.

May 18, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #743 of 2,130
Chromecast Audio began stuttering above 48kHz after a firmware update last year. Google said they were working on it, but that was months ago and now as a discontinued product it's questionable whether it will ever get resolved.
https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/356030?hl=en

To prevent stuttering, you need to set Qobuz/Tidal streaming quality to not higher than 48K before casting.

May 18, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #744 of 2,130
Even with Spotify I don't really like it because it will randomly stop playing, possibly as a result of some events on my phone.
The problem wouldn't be your phone. Chromecast Audio streams directly from the server and would continue playing the play queue even if you turn off your phone. Your Chromecast might be having connection interruptions with the Spotify server. Spotify does work reliably for me on Chromecast Audio.

May 18, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #745 of 2,130
The problem wouldn't be your phone. Chromecast Audio streams directly from the server and would continue playing the play queue even if you turn off your phone. Your Chromecast might be having connection interruptions with the Spotify server. Spotify does work reliably for me on Chromecast Audio.
I know, it seems more like my phone is deliberately pausing the playback to make a system sound audible. Trying to be too smart. I don't use the CCA often, so I'm not completely sure yet what is happening. But I'm not referring to buffering, it's like something hits pause or stop. I can then hit Play and everything works again for a while.

May 19, 2019 at 4:37 AM Post #746 of 2,130
Chromecast is kinda not very good for audiophiles. It's more competition for Appleware. Anyway, it's discontinued. So if you want a good streamer look into Bluesound. They're cheap for what they are and sound really good.

May 19, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #747 of 2,130
I know, it seems more like my phone is deliberately pausing the playback to make a system sound audible. Trying to be too smart. I don't use the CCA often, so I'm not completely sure yet what is happening. But I'm not referring to buffering, it's like something hits pause or stop. I can then hit Play and everything works again for a while.
Have you heard of USB Audio Player Pro?
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/technology/usb-audio-driver
You install the app and connect an OTG adapter to your phone, thus killing all other interfering audio apps on your phone and thus your phone is connected via OTG USB to an USB DAC.
I do this all the time when streaming Qobuz. I connect my phone to my Questyle 12 CMA DAC/AMP and never have the audio stream dropping out.
Connected like this, my phone works as a comfortable Qobuz server.

May 19, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #748 of 2,130
And BTW, the USB AUDIO Player Pro App comes with a great, easy to use six band parametric Equalizer.
I honestly believe I was able through experimenting to improve the sound of my Clear headphones. The base is now deeper and more pronounced.

May 19, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #750 of 2,130
It works well for me, and don't forget that it was only $35 (later dropped to $15) for bit perfect CD quality streaming.

CD quality streaming is audiphile quality in the 1980s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back