Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Apr 7, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #601 of 2,153
Qobuz absolutely frustrates me. It's one problem after another. They will probably fail and close down eventually because there's no market for lossless streaming and download sales are in free fall.

Today's problem is that I can't login in to the windows desktop player. Tried it on two different PCs. Tried resetting my damn password. Still doesn't work.

I'm on a trial and will likely just cancel. We all know these imbeciles at Qobuz don't care about non-French speakers and will not help us AT ALL.

Qobuz has no customer support and they're apps are buggy and always have been buggy. They will never get better.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #603 of 2,153
Qobuz absolutely frustrates me. It's one problem after another. They will probably fail and close down eventually because there's no market for lossless streaming and download sales are in free fall.

Today's problem is that I can't login in to the windows desktop player. Tried it on two different PCs. Tried resetting my damn password. Still doesn't work.

I'm on a trial and will likely just cancel. We all know these imbeciles at Qobuz don't care about non-French speakers and will not help us AT ALL.

Qobuz has no customer support and they're apps are buggy and always have been buggy. They will never get better.

Works great on a Mac. Haven't had one issue yet.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #604 of 2,153
I may try accessing it through Roon or Audirvana. But Qobuz should have a functioning app of their own.

I'm having no problem logging in via the Windoze app. Have you tried entering your e-mail address instead of your username? That app is certainly not perfect, but they released a decent update recently. Most of us have found the US managers, and the French staff focused on the US, to be very helpful. It is a very small company, and I try to have patience.

Apr 7, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #605 of 2,153
I may try accessing it through Roon or Audirvana. But Qobuz should have a functioning app of their own.
Absolutely. The Windows app still has major issues not fixed in the latest release. A basic function such as playing music should work flawlessly. Occasionally I still have tracks getting stuck in the middle while playing (need to restart the app and replay the track from the beginning).

Works great on a Mac. Haven't had one issue yet.
High CPU usage unless the app is minimized. The problem is on both Mac and Windows.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #606 of 2,153
Absolutely. The Windows app still has major issues not fixed in the latest release. A basic function such as playing music should work flawlessly. Occasionally I still have tracks getting stuck in the middle while playing (need to restart the app and replay the track from the beginning).

High CPU usage unless the app is minimized. The problem is on both Mac and Windows.

No problemo on my MB Pro.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #607 of 2,153
No problemo on my MB Pro.
I have a MacBook Pro as well.
  1. On Activity Monitor, look at the Qobuz % CPU (or on Windows, look in the Task Manager)
  2. Start playing music, and look at the CPU difference between Qobuz minimized and not minimized.
  3. Now stop/pause the music. The app should be practically idle. But again look at the CPU difference between app minimized and not minimized.
Speaking as a software engineer, there is no excuse for Qobuz using so much CPU when it isn't minimized, and this doesn't happen with Spotify or Tidal. On the Mac, at least it doesn't seem to disrupt user interaction within the Qobuz UI. On Windows, it causes major UI unresponsiveness if you try to interact with the Qobuz app.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #608 of 2,153
Mine sure has been working great love the service, sounds incredible..

Apr 8, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #610 of 2,153
I cancelled my subscription. The sound quality is superior to Spotify (wasn't as convinced with Tidal), but everything else is inferior. Buggy apps, buggy API/database (search says three releases available, artist's page is empty), incomplete catalog, and too little improvement since I joined to justify paying 2.5x the price of Spotify, which just works. If Spotify would just add hi-res support and for the same price as Qobuz, Qobuz would be dead with hardly any hope to ever catch up.
I'm tempted to say I'll check back in half a year, but I doubt that's enough time.

Apr 8, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #611 of 2,153
I cancelled my subscription. The sound quality is superior to Spotify (wasn't as convinced with Tidal), but everything else is inferior. Buggy apps, buggy API/database (search says three releases available, artist's page is empty), incomplete catalog, and too little improvement since I joined to justify paying 2.5x the price of Spotify, which just works. If Spotify would just add hi-res support and for the same price as Qobuz, Qobuz would be dead with hardly any hope to ever catch up.
I'm tempted to say I'll check back in half a year, but I doubt that's enough time.

I might be next. Spotify need do nothing and Qobuz will still likely die. The fact is Tidal and Qobuz have a tiny number of subscribers. When Qobuz filed for bankruptcy a couple years ago it was revealed in court records that they only had about 3,000 paying subscribers. Tidal has peanuts too compared to giants like Spotify and Apple.

What we do know is that the Tidal and Qobuz price point for lossless music is well above what the market finds acceptable. For that reason they will never gain mass adoption. Frankly, people are cheap and have many other bills that take priority over paying for streaming music. It doesn't help that a whole generatiig has grown up on compressed and freely available music on YouTube.

We folks are a distinct minority.

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #612 of 2,153
I noticed that Qobuz has crippled the app search facility. When I was using the Android app last year and in 2017 I could put the artist name and a year and the search would return any albums from that artist released in the year I searched. e.g. "artist 2019"

I liked to search for new albums for my favorite composers this way. Now it doesn't work. Instead, I have to open a brown and navigate to Qobuz and manually add albums there to my favorites.

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #613 of 2,153
I've been listening to another streaming service that uses 320/kbps codec. I think it sounds very good.

Maybe it makes more sense to save $120+ per year and put that money towards album downloads which I get no matter what for my favorites because I don't want to be locked to a service for them.

After 10 years of Qobuz service I'm looking at spending over $1,000 more than Spotify or Apple Music. Hmm...

Apr 8, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #614 of 2,153
I have a MacBook Pro as well.
  1. On Activity Monitor, look at the Qobuz % CPU (or on Windows, look in the Task Manager)
  2. Start playing music, and look at the CPU difference between Qobuz minimized and not minimized.
  3. Now stop/pause the music. The app should be practically idle. But again look at the CPU difference between app minimized and not minimized.
Speaking as a software engineer, there is no excuse for Qobuz using so much CPU when it isn't minimized, and this doesn't happen with Spotify or Tidal. On the Mac, at least it doesn't seem to disrupt user interaction within the Qobuz UI. On Windows, it causes major UI unresponsiveness if you try to interact with the Qobuz app.

Did you ever use their older desktop app? That was awful. On PC it was unresponsive. Even more so than the new version.

Their app development is very lackluster compared to other companies in this space that have this big of a streaming catalog. I simply don't think they have the financial resources to hire a crack team of developers and software engineers.

On a sidenote, I'm experiencing problems using Qobuz through UAPP. Had tracks just stop playing for no reason. Had some tracks restart at the beginning mid way through the track.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #615 of 2,153
Their app development is very lackluster compared to other companies in this space that have this big of a streaming catalog. I simply don't think they have the financial resources to hire a crack team of developers and software engineers.
They should make the apps open source. I'd take a look for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back