Qobuz Lossless Streaming Service Thread
Jul 8, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #2,026 of 2,153
I was hoping that if i play songs by selecting them from my “offline” menu (downloaded/offline list) that they would be cd quality as dowloaded of course

but when selecting these songs from “my qobuz” they would stream in hi res, as per my settings . Surely that’s the way it should be.

if not, no dramas. I’ll just have to work around it
I participate in Beta testing for the app. I will log it as a bug and see what they say.

Jul 8, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #2,027 of 2,153
I was hoping that if i play songs by selecting them from my “offline” menu (downloaded/offline list) that they would be cd quality as dowloaded of course

but when selecting these songs from “my qobuz” they would stream in hi res, as per my settings . Surely that’s the way it should be.

if not, no dramas. I’ll just have to work around it
For the bug report - what device/OS version are you using?

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #2,028 of 2,153
Everything downloaded as CD quality will play at CD quality. If the entire list is downloaded it will play at the downloaded level regardless of what level streaming is set for.
The way that Qobuz seems to work is that it shares the same file structure for both caching and downloaded files. If you look at your Offline Library on Qobuz, you'll see not only tracks and albums that you explicitly download (Qobuz calls it "import"), but it also contains cached tracks and albums from recent playing. The cached tracks and albums are available for offline play even though you didn't request it.

When you stream a track, it will start playing the track and also pre-download the rest of the track and upcoming tracks into the cache to optimize playing without interruption. As you keep playing music, it will purge older files in the cache to make room for newer files. This is a standard way to manage dynamic storage in computer systems.

However, when you request to download (import) music, it will "lock" those files in the cache so they won't get purged. My guess is that their database can only handle one version of a track to be stored in the cache, so that if it's already there and locked down, they will use it instead of caching another copy with a different resolution. From a technical standpoint, it makes some sense what they are doing but it isn't ideal from the consumer standpoint. It would take a little engineering to make it more flexible but shouldn't require a big effort.

Jul 8, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #2,029 of 2,153
The way that Qobuz seems to work is that it shares the same file structure for both caching and downloaded files. If you look at your Offline Library on Qobuz, you'll see not only tracks and albums that you explicitly download (Qobuz calls it "import"), but it also contains cached tracks and albums from recent playing. The cached tracks and albums are available for offline play even though you didn't request it.

When you stream a track, it will start playing the track and also pre-download the rest of the track and upcoming tracks into the cache to optimize playing without interruption. As you keep playing music, it will purge older files in the cache to make room for newer files. This is a standard way to manage dynamic storage in computer systems.

However, when you request to download (import) music, it will "lock" those files in the cache so they won't get purged. My guess is that their database can only handle one version of a track to be stored in the cache, so that if it's already there and locked down, they will use it instead of caching another copy with a different resolution. From a technical standpoint, it makes some sense what they are doing but it isn't ideal from the consumer standpoint. It would take a little engineering to make it more flexible but shouldn't require a big effort.
Looking a little deeper it looks like you can clear the cache (or it partially clears based on the size of the allocated cache buffer set in the settings menu) but when you re-select an offline playlist there is a delay between selecting the list and when it actually starts playing. My guess, as to your point, that the app preloads the list (or as much as possible based on allocated cache size) before playing.

Jul 8, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #2,030 of 2,153
For the bug report - what device/OS version are you using?
ios 16.5.1 (the latest as far as i know)

as i’m not home, away from my desktop system and why i imported some tracks for offline listening (whilst on the plane), i am not able to detect the bit rate the music is actually being at when streaming.

i will be able to check with my desktop dac though when i get home in a week and i connect my iphone to the dac and report back

i appreciate your help and following it up for me and all users

cheers
peter t

Jul 9, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #2,031 of 2,153
I recently moved from tidal after roughly 6-7 years using it. I also purchased a DAP a few days ago - having previously always used IOS on iPhones.

I started downloading my playlists and albums, which was going well until yesterday (albeit I did notice the download speeds were getting slower), after I downloaded my last album (so roughly 230g on the sd card) - it suddenly decided it didn’t recognise its own data/library it had stored on the ad card and stated it had used 0/512gb. It was completely fine 30 mins before.

Tried rebooting, removing the sd card and re-inserting over an over, but it just wouldn’t recognise its own stored imported files anymore. I’ve now formatted the card and started over.

Having read some of the recent posts, I’m hesitant to download everything again, as it sounds like things will start to go wrong again once my imported library gets beyond a certain size.

Has anyone else experienced this or was I just unfortunate? Is there a way to resolve/fix it without starting over and re-downloading everything again?

I was enjoying the switch to Qobuz and happy I moved over from tidal, primarily. Because it’s 50% more expensive than Qobuz for me in the UK (Hifi plus v studio sub), whilst I am happy to move to hi-res from mqa, although when a/bing the same tracks I can’t really hear much of an audible difference - but perhaps hi res is ever so slightly better? Although I may be just imagining it, as it took switching back and fourth about 30 times. However, after this I’m considering switching back, as I’ll lose the will to live if I have to re-download my entire library again.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #2,032 of 2,153
I recently moved from tidal after roughly 6-7 years using it. I also purchased a DAP a few days ago - having previously always used IOS on iPhones.

I started downloading my playlists and albums, which was going well until yesterday (albeit I did notice the download speeds were getting slower), after I downloaded my last album (so roughly 230g on the sd card) - it suddenly decided it didn’t recognise its own data/library it had stored on the ad card and stated it had used 0/512gb. It was completely fine 30 mins before.

Tried rebooting, removing the sd card and re-inserting over an over, but it just wouldn’t recognise its own stored imported files anymore. I’ve now formatted the card and started over.

Having read some of the recent posts, I’m hesitant to download everything again, as it sounds like things will start to go wrong again once my imported library gets beyond a certain size.

Has anyone else experienced this or was I just unfortunate? Is there a way to resolve/fix it without starting over and re-downloading everything again?

I was enjoying the switch to Qobuz and happy I moved over from tidal, primarily. Because it’s 50% more expensive than Qobuz for me in the UK (Hifi plus v studio sub), whilst I am happy to move to hi-res from mqa, although when a/bing the same tracks I can’t really hear much of an audible difference - but perhaps hi res is ever so slightly better? Although I may be just imagining it, as it took switching back and fourth about 30 times. However, after this I’m considering switching back, as I’ll lose the will to live if I have to re-download my entire library again.
Assuming you are talking about an android DAP then your problem is unusual in my experience. Importing in the app has got immeasurably better in recent months so it may be worth one more go. Just to check, are you on the latest 7.4.x.x version?

Jul 9, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #2,033 of 2,153
Assuming you are talking about an android DAP then your problem is unusual in my experience. Importing in the app has got immeasurably better in recent months so it may be worth one more go. Just to check, are you on the latest 7.4.x.x version?
Yeah, it’s the latest version.

I think the issue is down to the DAP and reading the SD card - not Qobuz. As experiencing some issues with Tidal too.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #2,034 of 2,153
For people using DAPs to take Qobuz portable, has anyone experienced any issues with the Android OS version not being supported by the Qobuz app? This is my hesitation in getting a good DAP since the only reason I would it is for Qobuz with imported music since I don't have any local files.

Jul 9, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #2,035 of 2,153
For people using DAPs to take Qobuz portable, has anyone experienced any issues with the Android OS version not being supported by the Qobuz app? This is my hesitation in getting a good DAP since the only reason I would it is for Qobuz with imported music since I don't have any local files.
As I’ve posted above. The app works fine, nice and smooth. Noticeably better and quicker than tidal. However, twice now I’ve had issues where Qobuz has just stopped recognising that all the saved offline data is on the card and I’ve had to reformat and start again. It probably either the dap itself or the the sd card that’s causing the issue.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,036 of 2,153
As I’ve posted above. The app works fine, nice and smooth. Noticeably better and quicker than tidal. However, twice now I’ve had issues where Qobuz has just stopped recognising that all the saved offline data is on the card and I’ve had to reformat and start again. It probably either the dap itself or the the sd card that’s causing the issue.
I have not had that experience in quite a while (it was associated with a bug in a previous version). I can say that it is VERY important to make sure the DAP stays awake and that Qobuz is open while downloading. I have had occasions where the device timed out in mid download and that has caused a playlist corruption in the past. If the playlist you are trying to download is very large make sure the whole playlist appears in the app before you start importing as I have seen that create issues as well.

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #2,037 of 2,153
Qobuz is my main source of lossless/hires music files, and where I buy most of my music collection.

Unfortunately, now you can only download purchased music in various file format by installing Qobuz Downloader on PC or MAC. You no longer be able to download your purchased music (in various file format) directly from web browser (except flac & mp3) like it used to be.

The thing is, Qobuz Downloader is broken, still needs lots of optimizations. For 2 days I've tried to download with Qobuz Downloader with zero success. And add to that frustrations is their technical support is really bad, I've been contacted them but still no response.

Is there anyone on this thread successfully download purchased music with Qobuz Downloader?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #2,038 of 2,153
Qobuz is my main source of lossless/hires music files, and where I buy most of my music collection.

Unfortunately, now you can only download purchased music in various file format by installing Qobuz Downloader on PC or MAC. You no longer be able to download your purchased music (in various file format) directly from web browser (except flac & mp3) like it used to be.

The thing is, Qobuz Downloader is broken, still needs lots of optimizations. For 2 days I've tried to download with Qobuz Downloader with zero success. And add to that frustrations is their technical support is really bad, I've been contacted them but still no response.

Is there anyone on this thread successfully download purchased music with Qobuz Downloader?
Yes, I've got it to work fine. It's irritating that you can't choose the download quality on the downloader, and the user experience is primitive, but it has worked for me.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #2,039 of 2,153
Yes, I've got it to work fine. It's irritating that you can't choose the download quality on the downloader, and the user experience is primitive, but it has worked for me.

Please keep in mind that I'm talking about the Qobuz Downloader programs here, that only available on PC and MAC, where you can download various files types (aiff, wav, alac, etc). I have no problems downloading from Qobuz app, but its only available in flac and mp3 format.

I was able to add download queue on Qobuz Downloader, but when I start the download process the status is stuck in never ending "in progress" status. And when I open the download folder, its only managed to download the album cover file image, no single file music has been downloaded. I have tried different things that I can think of, but the result is always the same.

I hope Qobuz technical teams can improve and optimize the downloader program in the future, or make it available to download directly from web browser page like it used to be.

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #2,040 of 2,153
Please keep in mind that I'm talking about the Qobuz Downloader programs here, that only available on PC and MAC, where you can download various files types (aiff, wav, alac, etc). I have no problems downloading from Qobuz app, but its only available in flac and mp3 format.

I was able to add download queue on Qobuz Downloader, but when I start the download process the status is stuck in never ending "in progress" status. And when I open the download folder, its only managed to download the album cover file image, no single file music has been downloaded. I have tried different things that I can think of, but the result is always the same.

I hope Qobuz technical teams can improve and optimize the downloader program in the future, or make it available to download directly from web browser page like it used to be.
Yep. That's what I was talking about - the new windows downloader tool. You can download file types, but not change quality (e.g. cd rather than hi Res - though I think you can choose mp3). It works for me, just a bit of an ordinary experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back