QDC Tiger impressions
Jan 8, 2024 at 1:01 AM Post #31 of 39
Very different tuning.IE900 clearly is more v- shaped: Bass is way more present, mids in direct comparison to the Tiger a bit recessed. Both have bright and sparkly treble though.
Thank you very much for the reply! This helps. Do you have a clear preference? Of course, I understand that they are different and the answer to my question isn’t that straight forward. It depends on your overall preference in terms of sound signature and also the genres that you probably are listening. Let me ask this instead then, if you own both, which one spends more listening time? Thanks. :)

Jan 8, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #32 of 39
Thank you very much for the reply! This helps. Do you have a clear preference? Of course, I understand that they are different and the answer to my question isn’t that straight forward. It depends on your overall preference in terms of sound signature and also the genres that you probably are listening. Let me ask this instead then, if you own both, which one spends more listening time? Thanks. :)
I am sorry I have to tell you that I don`t own both. I "only" own the Tiger but have extensively compared it to the IE900 (and many other earphones) during regular visits of Japan`s biggest portable audio store, where you can basically listen to any imaginable gear. I honestly would not rate either of these earphones over the other, they are both high quality, but tuned in a different direction. I own the Tiger, because it perfectly complements my current collection (see signature). I have several earphones (mainly DD-Hybrids) that are bass heavier, so instead of getting another one with DD (IE900 for example), the Tiger plays the role in my collection of an BA based earphone with focus on super clean vocals and very detailed sound, perfectly suitable for acoustic music or female voices, for example. So I think you should just ask yourself: What kind of music do you want to listen to mostly and do you already have other earphones in your collection? Do you generally prefer the timbre of dynamic drivers or BA drivers? If you need that extra dynamic driver "Oomph" for electronic music etc, get the IE900, if you listen to a lot of acoustic, classic or vocal based Pop music - get the Tiger! And both of them have a fantastic build and fit, just the IE900 is amazingly small and the Tiger looks more extravagant! I am pretty sure you won`t regret either! Hope that helps, best!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #33 of 39
I don't have an IE900, but I own and use an Anole V14, and the Tiger graphs a bit bassier and warmer than the V14.

If the Tiger has the same bass BA drivers as the V14, they can get boosted way up without getting distorted. I have the subbass on my V14 boosted up below 80Hz +8dB, and they still sound exceedingly clear compared to all my DD sets. What they lack compared to DD IEMs though is subbass extension, they can drop down to around 10Hz but get cut off after that, whereas DDs can get down into 4~5 Hz and still move air. That means, if the Tiger is similar to the V14, that they can still thump ok, but they won't match a DD for rumbling in your ears. Doesn't sound like much of a difference, but on some tracks that dig deep, it's a noticable difference.

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #34 of 39
I am sorry I have to tell you that I don`t own both. I "only" own the Tiger but have extensively compared it to the IE900 (and many other earphones) during regular visits of Japan`s biggest portable audio store, where you can basically listen to any imaginable gear. I honestly would not rate either of these earphones over the other, they are both high quality, but tuned in a different direction. I own the Tiger, because it perfectly complements my current collection (see signature). I have several earphones (mainly DD-Hybrids) that are bass heavier, so instead of getting another one with DD (IE900 for example), the Tiger plays the role in my collection of an BA based earphone with focus on super clean vocals and very detailed sound, perfectly suitable for acoustic music or female voices, for example. So I think you should just ask yourself: What kind of music do you want to listen to mostly and do you already have other earphones in your collection? Do you generally prefer the timbre of dynamic drivers or BA drivers? If you need that extra dynamic driver "Oomph" for electronic music etc, get the IE900, if you listen to a lot of acoustic, classic or vocal based Pop music - get the Tiger! And both of them have a fantastic build and fit, just the IE900 is amazingly small and the Tiger looks more extravagant! I am pretty sure you won`t regret either! Hope that helps, best!
Thanks a lot for the detailed response mate! This is exactly what I was looking for. I actually own the Sennheiser IE900s and also the IE600s. I love both of them, but prefer the 900s more than the 600s. I feel that the bass extension and quality is better in the IE900s. Also, I feel the IE900s resolve better. In general, I’m a fan of the single DD timbre and prefer them over BA based and Hybrid IEMs. For instance, I love my Katos as well whereas, in the past, I’ve demoed the Sony IER M9s and the Moondrop Variations and haven’t really liked them that much. I recently stumbled across some very positive reviews of the QDC tigers and hence was thinking of giving them a shot and thereby giving the BA timbre another shot. I live in Switzerland, and it is very difficult for me to demo these before buying. So, opinions from experienced head-fiers like you who have probably been in the hobby for quite some time matters a lot! Thanks again for the clarity and overview. :)

Jan 8, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #35 of 39
I don't have an IE900, but I own and use an Anole V14, and the Tiger graphs a bit bassier and warmer than the V14.

If the Tiger has the same bass BA drivers as the V14, they can get boosted way up without getting distorted. I have the subbass on my V14 boosted up below 80Hz +8dB, and they still sound exceedingly clear compared to all my DD sets. What they lack compared to DD IEMs though is subbass extension, they can drop down to around 10Hz but get cut off after that, whereas DDs can get down into 4~5 Hz and still move air. That means, if the Tiger is similar to the V14, that they can still thump ok, but they won't match a DD for rumbling in your ears. Doesn't sound like much of a difference, but on some tracks that dig deep, it's a noticable difference.
Thanks for the reply! Indeed, I’m a big fan of the DD bass extension and rumble! But I hear great things about the Tigers’ midrange and overall technical capabilities. Thus want to Give it a shot. :)

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #36 of 39
So, I finally took the plunge and snagged myself a pair of QDC Tigers. Been jamming with these for a solid two months now, and man, I'm speechless. Totally get where everyone in this thread is coming from – these are game-changers. They've kicked everything else to the curb for me. Tried out different ear tips, and for me the Final Audio Type E ones work the best for maximum sonic pleasure. Used to be skeptical of balanced armature stuff, tried the Moondrop Variations and Sony IER-M9s, but they just didn't do it for me, especially in the bass department – something always felt off. I'm more into hybrids and single dynamic drivers, like the IE600s and IE900s. Before the Tigers, IE900s were my go-to. That punchy, slammin' bass from Sennheiser's single dynamic driver was pure magic, and their bass texture? Legendary. Always found myself going back to them, addicted to that bass hit and crystal-clear sound, even though the midrange was a bit lacking. Didn't think anything could top that. But lo and behold, the QDC Tigers did just that. Two months in, and I haven't skipped a day without giving 'em a good listen for at least an hour.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #37 of 39
The bass response hits that sweet spot with just the right amount of sub-bass extension, giving that extra depth. And the mid-range – vocals come through like a dream, whether it's the velvety tones of male vocals or the angelic highs of female singers. As for the treble response, it's crystal clear without sacrificing any of the musicality. It's like the perfect blend of all the good stuff, creating a listening experience that's simply unbeatable.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #38 of 39
It's a bit disappointing to see how the Tigers are being overlooked. They truly deserve more recognition and appreciation. It's surprising how few people are discussing them, with only a couple of reviews on YouTube and a handful of written ones online. They are simply outstanding!

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #39 of 39
Other brands tend to get more play, QDC has eccentric tuning direction IMO. Technically the Anole series (and the tiger by extension) are quite excellent, but I have to EQ my V14 to fix a soundstage problem, and most people don't want an IEM they have to work on to sound their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back