QDC Tiger impressions
Jul 26, 2022 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

starinuniverse74

New Head-Fier
20220724_202322.jpg

Hello~! The picture above shows my music gears ( I forgot to include my IEMS).
I am Korean. Some of you who read my English writings might feel akwardness.
Thank you for your understanding.

I got a qdc tiger and opened it , which arrived 5days ago.
I am a big fan of Dynamic Driver earphones and headphones as well.
I have been listening to music with DD earphones such as Dita Dream xls , Dita twins fidelity,
UM 3DT ,and AK T9ie all in my possession
I also have DD+BA hybrid one, which is Final Audio B1.
I have been wondering how good qdc tiger will sound without Dynamic Driver that is equipped with 6BA and 2 EST drivers in each unit.

I actually had Earsonics Grace which has 10 BA in each unit and I was a bit disappointed because it sounds too comfortable and ... well no fun listening. (No offense to those who have it. It’s just not my kind of tea)
Since then I have never dared to grab a hold of any earphones with BA Drivers in them.
But I saw ones I liked to try , a new model by qdc retailing at $1,485 on MusicTeck.
(MusicTeck has always offered lower prices than any other store)
During exploration on qdc I read a lot about qdc’s great tuning skill and I made up mind to buy one.

수정됨_20220720_092830.jpg

The packaging is satisfying with recycled paper and box as well.
The gold box caught my eyes

But it hurts me to notice the gold box has a little damage on the right side :frowning2:

수정됨_20220720_093125.jpg

The box is a little damaged but all is OK inside
Some kind of protective films are attached on both units.
You can tell that they are designed by qdc from its ergonomic unit designs.

수정됨_20220720_093600.jpg

The round shaped earphone storage is very quality, which feels genuine leathery.
There are two kinds of silicone eartips S,M,L in size. I like double flanged ones , which offer superb sound isolation.
There are also a 3.5 to 6.3 adapter, two interchangeable plugs(3.5mm single ended plug already inserted and 2.5 balanced & 4.4 balanced plugs are in small plastic bags), an airplane two-pin adapter, and a cleaning brush as seen in the picture above.
Inside the storage is a peg in the center with magnet on it for good holding.

20220720_094100-horz.jpg

Taking off protective films, I took close shots of the units for any defectiveness on them.
I like the stock cable. Not only is it interchangeable to 4.4 , 2.5 , and 3.5 but very flexible and it's the same one as Anole V14.
No touch noise either. You don’t need any earhooks.

다시 타이거.jpg

The units are quite big compared with AK T9ie and even with UM 3DT as seen above
( I was worried if they would fit my ears before wearing)
The units themselves have airholes to reduce pressure in ears but they are inside once you wear them.
So not to worry about unwanted sounds from outside(outer sounds come in but not much)
The double flanged eartips work better at sound isolation and deep bass than the other silicone ones.

20220720_095333-horz.jpg

You can feel that the cable terminal bodies are well made when you hear “click” sound pushing it in.

20220720_095628.jpg

The only thing I don’t like about the cable is the look of Y-Splitter and the slider.
Considering the price(well to me it is super expensive), they look too simple and even look like low-budget ones.

20220720_095854-horz.jpg

Finally listening time. I used a dap Plenue L (by Cowon) with 4.4 plug socket
My preferences in music are K-pop, Alternative rock, Jazz, and Classicals , pretty much all types except EDMs and Heavy Metals.

After 1hour of listening, no heaviness on my ears and it is quite comfortable with the double flanged eartips.
Its driveability is quite easy as 15ohm and 105db in sensitivity.

The treble response may be one of reasons for it to be worth listening with.
It kicks and goes higher up than the other ones I have listened with, but it doesn’t hurt my ears.
That’s when I figured that qdc did a good job on it, delivering expectation.

Bass response is super strong enough for me to notice but what I really like about it is the quality of bass( different kind from DD IEMS , which produce grandness, at least to me they are).
It not only gives me a feeling of deep and subdeep bass but wide(not like speakers wideness) and yet solid not like a big rock hitting on earth but dinosaurs stepping on the surface and rocking land( you probably remember the scene in the movie Jurassic park where T-Rex first appears when kids in a car see water rippling in a cup.... :) ).

Well, you may criticize me for exaggerating ,but I can say this because I’ve never experienced this kind of bass size before with my other IEMS.

It doesn’t give you a full size of speaker experience
but it does give you a full size of headphone experience.
I’m pretty sure that qdc tiger grabs your attention quickly when you put it in your ears.

Mid-range response is the last but not the least.
Intimacy is the word that I thought of when it comes to mid-range part.
Vocal sound, especially female one, feels sweeter and smoother once again compared with my other IEMS.
I guess EST driver does the job well on this part.
As far as I know EST drivers are focused on high frequency like 7hz up to 70hz
You can feel what I mean by that when you listen to “Love So Soft” by Kelly Clarkson where she shouts really high at 2’:13“ in the song
Male vocal sound also feels better with it.
If you like Latin Pops like Camila Cabello or Rosalia, you might like them even more.
I in fact have been listening to their songs more often since I got tiger.

Throughout 5-days of listening with it , I now think that tiger fits vocal pops, a busy mix of Jazz(sound separation is great too), instrumentals but isn’t quite good for classicals.

Not saying that classicals sound bad with it, it just doesn’t sound as impressive as other music genres mentioned.

That’s for it with my impressions on qdc tiger.
Those who got interested because of its look will be surprised at its sound and feel exhilarated listening to songs.
I tried my best to give you as much detail as I could but I feel that I could have written it better.
I might have missed some as well. I hope you understand though.
Thank you for reading. Hoping for you to enjoy music an long as you can :)

You can see specs and frequency below(taken from Musicteck) and 4 of my 6 IEMS as well.

tiger spec-horz.jpg

20220712_115301.jpg

Thank you again :)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 39
How is with smooth vocal Jazz?
Songs from Gregory Porter or Diana Krall for example.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 39
How is with smooth vocal Jazz?
Songs from Gregory Porter or Diana Krall for example.
Ah~! the legendary Gregory porter
I believe his songs are darn great with any earphones :)
I have enjoyed his songs like "When did you learn" I've always felt that he sings beautifully and yet effortlessly
Well, listening to his songs with tiger sounds even better to me than the other IEMS I have
Vocal sound nears closer , feeling like he is singing on my shoulder.
Hope this might answer your question.

Thanks for the reply

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 39
Nice impressions 👍

Do you feel like Tiger is upgrade or sidegrade to AK T9ie?

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 39
Nice impressions 👍

Thank you for the cheerful comment :)
There are some parts that I feel tiger is better at like female vocal songs and detailed bass. However, there are some other parts that AK T9ie excels at like bass depth ( AK T9ie has Tesla driver /Tesla driver is awesome~!! )
I think tiger gives you a lot of fun listening to vocal songs while AK T9ie is great for rocks and classicals
It has been not that long since I started listening with tiger, so this might be a bit biased or wrong.
Anyway , I feel it is worthy of trying tiger. :)

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 39
Nice impressions. I like tiger more than v14 when comparing them at Canjam.

Sep 4, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 39
Nice impressions 👍

AK9ie... is nowhere close to Tiger... sorry. I own both, and Tiger is a tad easier to drive. Soundwise, Tiger has the all the brilliant (without annoying) gloss in the treble department. One may notice some previously unnoticed details in the high and higher. In my opinion, AK9ie doesn't really justify its high price, especially that it is a bit painful to wear (compared with T8ie, which is a breeze). For your ref, I tested them on Lotoo Paw Gold Touch and Moonriver 2.

Dec 4, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #14 of 39
Tiger is here. Some recommendation for eartips and cable about you experience?? Thanks. Great iem.
I hope tiger delivers satisfaction to you. I have tried some eartips but feel that the stock eartips(especially double flange) are best so far and the stock cable also gives me the best sound.
I'd like to try qdc dragon skin some day. If you really want to try other cables, get hybrid ones , like silver+upocc+palladuim. Hope this will help you.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 39
I hope tiger delivers satisfaction to you. I have tried some eartips but feel that the stock eartips(especially double flange) are best so far and the stock cable also gives me the best sound.
I'd like to try qdc dragon skin some day. If you really want to try other cables, get hybrid ones , like silver+upocc+palladuim. Hope this will help you.
Really impressed with Tiger. Really great balanced with that highs up but controlled. And voices...really there. Im using stock cable that is a good cable (for me at least) and Spinfit Cp145. I have adaptar 0.78 to qdc. Trying all my 0.78 cables:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back