QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 16, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #2,146 of 2,715
The build on the V14 is absolutely beautiful, especially the switch assembly and how well it sits in the shell. Among the best I’ve seen, and an improvement over the VX.

Those who like the VX will find the V14 a superior sounding set, better bass (without switches on) and an airier top end without the brightness in the VX that some have reported. More details as I get more time on the V14.

I live at the beach and we’re overcast with fog, so when the sun returns, I’ll get a picture of the black shells turning green …

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #2,147 of 2,715
@jwbrent
V14 graph looks very very similar to VE8 - taking aside the sub-bass area, the treble peaks in 6-8 kHz are practically the copies of each other.

Therefore, would be great to have a short (or profound :) ) comparison of both IEMs.

Also my personal concernment would be covering the treble part. I am pretty treble-sensitive, ended up selling my VX. Sound signature overall was great and natural, bass section was more than to be desired from BA-drivers. But due to energetic and vivid treble couldn’t stand more than 20 minutes of listening – had ringing in my head. It is typical bright Asian SS, I wonder, if V14 managed to shift from that paradigm and become more smooth and warm-neutral.

P.S. Age matters. As you become older, the upper freq of your hearing range decreases. A pal of mine in his 50s doesn’t experience any harshness with VX – to him it is just smooth as butter.

1621185539406.png

May 16, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #2,148 of 2,715
@jwbrent
V14 graph looks very very similar to VE8 - taking aside the sub-bass area, the treble peaks in 6-8 kHz are practically the copies of each other.

Therefore, would be great to have a short (or profound :) ) comparison of both IEMs.

Also my personal concernment would be covering the treble part. I am pretty treble-sensitive, ended up selling my VX. Sound signature overall was great and natural, bass section was more than to be desired from BA-drivers. But due to energetic and vivid treble couldn’t stand more than 20 minutes of listening – had ringing in my head. It is typical bright Asian SS, I wonder, if V14 managed to shift from that paradigm and become more smooth and warm-neutral.

P.S. Age matters. As you become older, the upper freq of your hearing range decreases. A pal of mine in his 50s doesn’t experience any harshness with VX – to him it is just smooth as butter.

1621185539406.png

I’ll do a comparison with the VE 8 for you. As to the brightness, my initial feeling is the V14 is less so than the VX which I loved, but I sold it to help fund the V14. The trebles, so far, are very silky sounding on the V14, but I want to put on at least 100 hours on my set before I chime in with my overall opinion.

May 18, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #2,149 of 2,715
After 75 hours of burn-in, the trebles are now brighter than before, so I do hope that warms up. I was listening to a hi res version of The Cure’s Anniversary live album and I felt like my ears were being drilled. 😵

May 18, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #2,150 of 2,715
I forgot to mention that burn-in in my experience isn’t always a linear process, rather, it can be a back and forth process, especially in the trebles in terms of changes. I still have high hopes more time will get me to audio nirvana …

May 18, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #2,151 of 2,715
After 75 hours of burn-in, the trebles are now brighter than before, so I do hope that warms up. I was listening to a hi res version of The Cure’s Anniversary live album and I felt like my ears were being drilled. 😵
that's quite opposite experience of me. it's true in beginning the treble quite hot, I use switch 1 & 2 to tame it a bit.
but i also use c9 in the process during burn-in, they become smoother after 1 week usage here.

May 18, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #2,152 of 2,715
that's quite opposite experience of me. it's true in beginning the treble quite hot, I use switch 1 & 2 to tame it a bit.
but i also use c9 in the process during burn-in, they become smoother after 1 week usage here.

ok, glad to hear of your experience. ✌️

May 20, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #2,154 of 2,715
Thinking about recabling VX, anyone tried PW audio’s copper series?

I bought the Mest MKII cable from PWA, the Copper M2 for my VE 8 and I like it a lot. I will try it with my V14 at some point.

May 20, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #2,157 of 2,715
I bought the Mest MKII cable from PWA, the Copper M2 for my VE 8 and I like it a lot. I will try it with my V14 at some point.
Thanks!
Yes I love PWA’s Copper M2, it runs very nicely with DUNU SA6, I almost like it over DUNU’s furukawa DUW03 on SA6.

Unfortunately I tried to out PWA M2 on VX the qdc connector didn’t like it, it didn’t fit properly and I wouldn’t risk it pushing it in by force.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,159 of 2,715
You can try the mk2 cable but need to reverse the polarity so might be good to get some adapters.
Ah they got reversed pilarity? Wow good to know. Will look for adapters then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back