QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 23, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #1,576 of 2,715
Listening to my VX at the moment, and I feel like the soundstage isn't all that wide. It seems to have more height than width. Is that normal? Or maybe I'm not getting the right fit?

Indeed but also depends on source, N6ii with E01 is WIDE for SE. But this will be the same with other IEM as well. :)

Wide Soundstage isn't something I normally chase, reasonable width is fine for me, I prefer a little more depth as I find with good imaging it creates a more 3D experience than the instruments smeared from left to right. VX is very good at this!

Jan 23, 2020 at 3:19 AM Post #1,577 of 2,715
Just whet your appetite. QDC seems to be testing new tuning of Fusion in Japan.
It does not indicate any connection with Fusion. But judging from the driver config., i.e.,
1 Dynamic + 4 BAs, you can tell. More mid-high for J. "anison"? Let's see.
As announced earlier, they are releasing a new product in Japan, limited run of 150 units, called "TrES"
Not sure where the name comes from but it's just another "Fusion" with different tuning.

https://e-earphone.blog/?p=1339980

Not auditioned myself yet but guess more mid-high centric tuning suitable to J "anison"....
I remember the local distributor here seemed to recommend setting switches
on VX
"mid-on, high on" at time of shows and they imbedded their liking in
"10SE", Japan only switchless VX.

Alas, I would have liked it more if the original tuning stayed intact though.

Let's see how the TrES is received .

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #1,578 of 2,715
Listening to my VX at the moment, and I feel like the soundstage isn't all that wide. It seems to have more height than width. Is that normal? Or maybe I'm not getting the right fit?

You are not wrong. Tho staging is not a major concern for me when it comes to a non vented IEM, you could try some wide bore eartips like the AZLA sedna light to somewhat help with the stage width issue, or try it with the treble switch on(I wouldnt reccomend that). If you look at crins graph for VX you can see a dip around 4.5-5.5khz, the dip is there to reduce sibilance, but it also make the IEM lose some of its airy-ness. That 4.4-5.5khz dip is pretty consistent across the qdc flagship lineup.

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #1,579 of 2,715
As announced earlier, they are releasing a new product in Japan, limited run of 150 units, called "TrES"
Not sure where the name comes from but it's just another "Fusion" with different tuning.

https://e-earphone.blog/?p=1339980

Not auditioned myself yet but guess more mid-high centric tuning suitable to J "anison"....
I remember the local distributor here seemed to recommend setting switches
on VX
"mid-on, high on" at time of shows and they imbedded their liking in
"10SE", Japan only switchless VX.

Alas, I would have liked it more if the original tuning stayed intact though.

Let's see how the TrES is received .

Weeboo Fusion, tho I was not able to find a Fusion for demo when I was at e-e last November. But if I have to guess, this new JP exclusive will sound closer to the qdc flagship hybrid than the Fusion.

Jan 23, 2020 at 6:57 AM Post #1,580 of 2,715
Weeboo Fusion, tho I was not able to find a Fusion for demo when I was at e-e last November. But if I have to guess, this new JP exclusive will sound closer to the qdc flagship hybrid than the Fusion.
The problem is it's so limited of just 150 and likely be unavailable for general audition. Worth buying blind? Not sure, it's like USD1K.
Oh, by the way, if you use the term "weeboo", I bet 99% of the locals don't understand what you mean by it. hahaha

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #1,581 of 2,715
The problem is it's so limited of just 150 and likely be unavailable for general audition. Worth buying blind? Not sure, it's like USD1K.
Oh, by the way, if you use the term "weeboo", I bet 99% of the locals don't understand what you mean by it. hahaha
I dont think anything is worth buying w/o demoing, and e-e have plenty of limited IEM for demo. I always thought you are besed in JP so I was hoping to get your impression on it if you do get to try it. Not sure if you have heard the Fusion, but I didn't hear too many good things about it. Im mostly cruious about the DD that is used in the qdc hybrids, getting a uranus demo soon, afaik fusion/uranus have the same DD and chamber setup.

Only weeboo understand the true meaning of waifu-fi, getting kilobucks iems for ur jpop waifu

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #1,582 of 2,715
Yeah it's pretty great right? I hopped around a lot from iem to iem until I came across the VX and I've loved it ever since! It's been 7 months or so, maybe more and just now I'm looking for a hybrid that will work for me. How long have you had the VX? Also which iem do you feel has a wide soundstage in comparison?

Only a couple of weeks so I'm still putting them through their paces with my library, but already hearing lots of details in my music that I’ve never heard before which is what I’m addicted to I think haha. The detail retrieval is beyond anything I’ve heard before. To be fair though, I haven’t heard that much else at this level. I'm a recovering Sony fan boy so the fairest comparison I can make is with Z1R. I briefly demoed a Solaris and really enjoyed them too, however I don't think I got a proper seal and it wasn't long enough to get a true impression. Hoping to get some more time with them at some point this year. Also keen to try a 64 Audio U12T &/or Trio but unfortunately there's nowhere near where I live to demo them :frowning2: will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the Trio when you get it.

Out of what I have heard/own, I feel like the Z1R, EX1000, Andromeda & even the XBA-Z5 all have a wider soundstage.

I didn't find VX's stage very wide, but it's fathomlessly deep-- one of the things I found most addicting about it.

Yeah I feel like VX's soundstage depth is bigger than anything I've heard so it might just be a matter of getting used to a deeper presentation rather than wide? Man, the addiction is real though. My life has basically come to a grinding halt the last couple of days listening to these things. Back to work next week, I'm going to have to get my crap together again otherwise I won't get anything done...

You are not wrong. Tho staging is not a major concern for me when it comes to a non vented IEM, you could try some wide bore eartips like the AZLA sedna light to somewhat help with the stage width issue, or try it with the treble switch on(I wouldnt reccomend that). If you look at crins graph for VX you can see a dip around 4.5-5.5khz, the dip is there to reduce sibilance, but it also make the IEM lose some of its airy-ness. That 4.4-5.5khz dip is pretty consistent across the qdc flagship lineup.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try out those tips and report back. Would using a balanced cable widen it at all? Honestly it's not a big deal for me either. I don't really notice it in general listening. It was only when I was A/B'ing with my other iem's that I picked up on it.

Indeed but also depends on source, N6ii with E01 is WIDE for SE. But this will be the same with other IEM as well. :)

Wide Soundstage isn't something I normally chase, reasonable width is fine for me, I prefer a little more depth as I find with good imaging it creates a more 3D experience than the instruments smeared from left to right. VX is very good at this!

As mentioned above I think for me it's only something I notice when comparing with other gear and maybe it's just a matter of getting used to a different presentation. Either way, I am very much enjoying these little gems!

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #1,583 of 2,715
Would using a balanced cable widen it at all?

Either way, I am very much enjoying these little gems!

Yes, balanced should give more width, i guess DAP dependant though. It does on my N8 and did with A01/T01 on N6ii. They'll sing with ZH1ES!

I like the stock medium tips, prefer them over dots. Whirlwinds also good, still to try them with sednas and symbios though.

Great, i like them a lot also! (And was a blind buy!)

Jan 23, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #1,585 of 2,715
Hello, guys!

Became a happy owner of Anole VX paired with sp1000m. The earphones are simply splendid, but there is one thing that is bugging me.

In some cases (say, 30% of all the media storage) they seem to be too bright to my perception. This can be experienced on peculiar albums (electronic or pop with female vocal) and with volume above average level. Highs are not becoming distorted or sibiliant, they seem to be a little too much to my taste. Aggressive - that is the right wording. Listening becomes fatiguing, so I have to turn down the volume.

Other albums sound fine, nothing of the mentioned above.

By now both DAP and IEM are right from the box, the period of burning up has not passed. I use Anole with stock 3.5 mm cable with white silicon tips which came with the package. Using double-flange may improve the situation with the highs but it has its flip side in the form of decreased sound stage and airiness. Mandarine tips make the sound sig even brighter.

Have anybody faced the same experience? May be there are some options to make the highs more comfortable?

In general, Anole VX are fantastic. Tight, fast bass, which is more than enough, natural and smooth vocal timbre, level of details.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #1,586 of 2,715
Thanks for the advice! I'll try out those tips and report back. Would using a balanced cable widen it at all? Honestly it's not a big deal for me either. I don't really notice it in general listening. It was only when I was A/B'ing with my other iem's that I picked up on it.

Just say it, its not as wide as z1r... I wont eat you alive Lel...

But srsly tho, it depends on the source you use. With bal vs SE. And getting cables for qdc is a pain in the butt. I guess you can try some cheap bal cables 1st before you decides to commit more money into the cable-fi meme.

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,587 of 2,715
Hello, guys!

Became a happy owner of Anole VX paired with sp1000m. The earphones are simply splendid, but there is one thing that is bugging me.

In some cases (say, 30% of all the media storage) they seem to be too bright to my perception. This can be experienced on peculiar albums (electronic or pop with female vocal) and with volume above average level. Highs are not becoming distorted or sibiliant, they seem to be a little too much to my taste. Aggressive - that is the right wording. Listening becomes fatiguing, so I have to turn down the volume.

By now both DAP and IEM are right from the box, the period of burning up has not passed. I use Anole with stock 3.5 mm cable with white silicon tips which came with the package. Using double-flange may improve the situation with the highs but it has its flip side in the form of decreased sound stage and airiness. Mandarine tips make the sound sig even brighter.

Have anybody faced the same experience? May be there are some options to make the highs more comfortable?

I inserted a thin layer of cotton pads and put the silicone tip on. That made the situation more comfortable, but would this upgrade influence the whole sound signature? It may as well distort other frequencies.

In general, Anole VX are fantastic. Tight, fast bass, which is more than enough, natural and smooth vocal timbre, level of details.

Its been a very long time since i demoed sp1k with VX, so I don't really remember much about how those 2 sounds. But i do remember that i liked the sp1k with the added amp more that just the stand alone dap. So if you have a place to demo the sp1k amp, its worth trying.

I'm not about to recc a 1.5k 'maybe solution' to your problem. So trying some tips with smaller bore and softer inner core will help tame the treble somewhat. I do recommend the new sony hybrid tips that comes with the z1r or the sony triple comfort tips. And if you are a believer of the cable-fi meme, get some PW copper cables. I used to have the PW #5 and didnt really like them too much with VX due to how little treble energy they have.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #1,589 of 2,715
Hello, guys!

I inserted a thin layer of cotton pads and put the silicone tip on. That made the situation more comfortable, but would this upgrade influence the whole sound signature? It may as well distort other frequencies.

Yeah, the mid treble is too much. Tonality is an issue. No tip rolling will fix the response.

A buddy told me in China they like that sort of treble? A bit on the shrill tonality? I don't know about this because Moondrop isn't tuned like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back