QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 21, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,546 of 2,715
Couldn't agree more with this. I'm used to the Z1R sound signature and only new to the VX, but to me the bass sounds more "correct" on the Z1R because that is simply what I'm used to. The VX bass is excellent but to me it lacks the texture and liveliness of the Z1R. But I can see how the Z1R bass can sound "incoherent" to some that are used to a bass response like the VX. Two very different implementations and I personally think they complement each other well, especially if you have a diverse taste in music.

On another note, my new go-to tips for the Z1R are the medium double flange tips from the VX. Give them a try if you're like me and have trouble getting a deep enough insertion with the stock Sony tips.

I am absolutely loving the VX, it just does everything SO well! It's hard to find any real faults with it. Maybe the BA timbre would bother some people but I actually enjoy it and it works well for my music taste :)

I listen to a pretty wide range of gear and I've had other hybrid IEMs, so I don't think it's that. Just because something is TOTL doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it. I like pretty much everything about the VX because it suits me well, not because it's perfect. There are other TOTL monitors that I also didn't fully enjoy either. My criticisms are other people's point of enjoyment though, and vice versa.

It's funny you say that about the VX tips because I really like the strange soft foam/rubber tips from the Z1R kit on my VX.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #1,547 of 2,715
I've been wanting to buy a Trio and really appreciate this. Also have a VX. How does the treble differ on the Trio? Also, is the Trio overall darker or more bright than the VX? Lastly, how would you compare the mids? I'd appreciate as much detail as you're willing to take your time to write. Thank you :)

Sorry for the late reply. I see you've already got a Trió on the way so you'll form your own opinions about these questions :) But in case you (or someone else) wanted another opinion:
  • The treble on the Trió is a bit brighter and sparkly than the VX. It's one of its highlights.
  • The Trió is more V-shaped than the VX. The VX's mids are quite a bit more forward.

Jan 21, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,548 of 2,715
Sorry for the late reply. I see you've already got a Trió on the way so you'll form your own opinions about these questions :) But in case you (or someone else) wanted another opinion:
  • The treble on the Trió is a bit brighter and sparkly than the VX. It's one of its highlights.
  • The Trió is more V-shaped than the VX. The VX's mids are quite a bit more forward.
I feel like I've heard a bunch of different opinions about the Trio and I don't know what to believe lol.

Could you maybe clarify a couple things? With the mids not being as forward, are they also more thin sounding, further back into the mix, or how would you more specifically describe them? I'm also curious to see how I will handle the treble. I enjoy the VX very much and don't find it fatiguing in any way.

Jan 21, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #1,549 of 2,715
I feel like I've heard a bunch of different opinions about the Trio and I don't know what to believe lol.

Could you maybe clarify a couple things? With the mids not being as forward, are they also more thin sounding, further back into the mix, or how would you more specifically describe them? I'm also curious to see how I will handle the treble. I enjoy the VX very much and don't find it fatiguing in any way.

Sorry, I don't know what "thin" means. I'd say the mids are set a bit further back, but I don't find myself missing the mids on the Trió. Crinacle's measurements provide evidence for this impression:

graph.png

The bass and treble are elevated in relation to the mids on the Trió (especially the lower mids), vs. the VX which is quite a bit flatter.

Regarding the treble: I came from the Trió from the Andromeda, and I find the two to share the "sparkly" treble that I really like. The VX has a similar treble quality, but it's just less forward because the mids take a larger role.

The biggest differences between the two for me are in the soundstage and tonality. The Trió's is larger than the VX and I hear more space between the instruments. The tonalities between the two are... different? I can't say that one is better than the other in that department.

Jan 21, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,551 of 2,715
I edited my last comment. Please read it. I posted my findings here because I wanted to praise the vx, not crap on the z1r.

In the same way that you can't be wrong about your opinion of the VXs bass, because it's your opinion, I can't be wrong about my impressions, because they're my honest thoughts and opinions.

I considered posting to the Z1R thread so prospective buyers with the same tastes as my own can see my opinion, but if I have more run-ins with the likes of you (and by that I mean people who can't take a bit of criticism), it's not worth the energy.
I have not edit my last comment, please read it again. As much as i hate repeating myself, let me just reiterate.

I was always under the assumption that w/e you have posted is your opinion, and that why I say it is your "impression", and you do realise that opinion (be it yours or mine) can be wrong (or less right if you want to be politcally correct), but thats not audio related nor its a life lesson for me to teach you.

So let me just say this again, if you dont want people to disagree with you, either be ready to back up your opinion or the alterantive...

No its actually me wasting my time/energy, with the 'likes of you', and by that I mean people who post their baseless opinion on threads and look for validation, but I dont think so highly of myself to assume that my time is worth more than yours, so I'm just here to waste my time to waste yours. Also isn't it ironic that you call me out for not being able to take criticism when it is you that can't take my criticism of your opinion. But self awareness is not audio related, nor it is a life lesson for me to teach you.

But let me stop wasting your time by give you my opinion. "The only winning move is to not play". And dont think for a second that i won't get a 64 trio loaner just to give you my opinion on that too.

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #1,552 of 2,715
The z1r sounds more relaxed and organic, yes. The bass being slightly incongruent with the rest of the FR is what I was referring to as inorganic.
I’m considering getting the GE4C-S cable to go with my VX. Has anyone owned/tried it? How does it compare to the stock cable? Any impressions would be greatly appreciated :) cheers

They were giving those away for free with the VX launch event, and I tried it when I was back in China. That said, its been a while since I tried the cable, but i remember me not being a fan of how it sounded with VX. There are better aftermarket cables, but you have to try it for yourself.

Also, welcome to the qdc cult, I usually give people a warm welcome, but I was busy taking out the trash /s...

A bit of a shamless plug, but i did some short impressions of VX cable rolling while I was in Japan, you can find it under my signature. But tldr is that I personally have Luminox DFN and i reccomend it to a lot of the folks here, and Luminox came out with a new cable called the Shadow thats more focused on the lower fruquencies (as compare to DFN being brighter). But honestly I'm not that big believer of cable rolling, so just get w/e you think looks nice. A big selling point for me is that luminox uses a low profile 4.4mm angled plug and make cables with the right plug and polarity for qdc.

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,553 of 2,715
I have not edit my last comment, please read it again. As much as i hate repeating myself, let me just reiterate.

I was always under the assumption that w/e you have posted is your opinion, and that why I say it is your "impression", and you do realise that opinion (be it yours or mine) can be wrong (or less right if you want to be politcally correct), but thats not audio related nor its a life lesson for me to teach you.

So let me just say this again, if you dont want people to disagree with you, either be ready to back up your opinion or the alterantive...

No its actually me wasting my time/energy, with the 'likes of you', and by that I mean people who post their baseless opinion on threads and look for validation, but I dont think so highly of myself to assume that my time is worth more than yours, so I'm just here to waste my time to waste yours. Also isn't it ironic that you call me out for not being able to take criticism when it is you that can't take my criticism of your opinion. But self awareness is not audio related, nor it is a life lesson for me to teach you.

But let me stop wasting your time by give you my opinion. "The only winning move is to not play". And dont think for a second that i won't get a 64 trio loaner just to give you my opinion on that too.
Enjoy your Z1R bud. I don't really have anything else to add.

Edit: yes, another one. I'm trying to think of how to say what I want to say without breaking any rules here.. the reason I don't want to keep conversing with you is because you're just intolerable and vile as a person. Maybe one day you'll get your head out of where the sun don't shine and realize that. All you care about is winning the argument, even at the cost of crapping on your own feet, and this leads me to believe that there would be no good end to the debate. I would say again to enjoy your Z1R, but you have to be at least a little insecure about the matter to get quite so butthurt @OverlordRush

And I'm not the only person who thinks all of this.. By a long shot. Oh no, another edit!

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,554 of 2,715
Enjoy your Z1R bud. I don't really have anything else to add.

Edit: yes, another one. I'm trying to think of how to say what I want to say without breaking any rules here.. the reason I don't want to keep conversing with you is because you're just intolerable and vile as a person. Maybe one day you'll get your head out of where the sun don't shine and realize that. All you care about is winning the argument, even at the cost of crapping on your own feet, and this leads me to believe that there would be no good end to the debate. I would say again to enjoy your Z1R, but you have to be at least a little insecure about the matter to get quite so butthurt @OverlordRush

Why would he be insecure about the matter when he's owned the Z1R and VX for quite some time and knows how they compare?

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,555 of 2,715
Why would he be insecure about the matter when he's owned the Z1R and VX for quite some time and knows how they compare?

Owning and knowing something is the only way to be insecure about it. I'm sure he's seen these criticisms come from others, not just myself, like my bff rock that he seems to love disrespecting. Even if I'm wrong about that, everything else is as true as the sky is blue.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #1,556 of 2,715
This is still all totally subjective. Owning the IER-Z1R and doing a short demo of the qdc Anole VX, shows the VX a worthy flagship. Some people would call the IER-Z1R bass as more technical, but to others it could be considered distracting. Also I’m pretty sure that more are going to get an easy fit with the qdc. That said there is no perfect IEM. They will always have strengths and weaknesses. The best we can do is work to obtaining something we want to keep. Simple as that, none do all genres right, not one is perfect. If one is truly better, it’s in the eyes of the owner.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #1,557 of 2,715
This is still all totally subjective. Owning the IER-Z1R and doing a short demo of the qdc Anole VX, shows the VX a worthy flagship. Some people would call the IER-Z1R bass as more technical, but to others it could be considered distracting. Also I’m pretty sure that more are going to get an easy fit with the qdc. That said there is no perfect IEM. They will always have strengths and weaknesses. The best we can do is work to obtaining something we want to keep. Simple as that, none do all genres right, not one is perfect. If one is truly better, it’s in the eyes of the owner.
This is less about which IEM is better or subjectivity and more about Rush being intolerant and disrespectful of opposing viewpoints and findings. While preferences are subjective, I'm also at liberty to post my issues with an iem, which are legitimate. I'm also not the first or only person to have those issues, yet Rush acts like Cerberus, guardian of the Z1R's pitfalls. He has also attacked my good friend for not liking the Z1R and returning it. Him acting so childishly only makes one want to double down on their conclusions and it's only natural.

He even threatened to get the Trio on loan so he can "give his opinion" (forgot his exact words) of it, clearly in effort to exact some kind of petty revenge. He's a child.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #1,559 of 2,715
Sigh, this is getting out of hand and no longer have anything to do with qdc or anything or audio. I'm being the bigger man here to let this go even after the 3rd comment and 4th edit. Turn back now...
Let it go, like anything I said is untrue? Maybe nobody has said any of that to your face, but many are thinking it and complaining about you in private. You don't even know what the true "bigger man" would do in this situation because you're not capable of being that person. Go report me, do whatever you want to do to feel better, man-child.842046-221577.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #1,560 of 2,715
Let it go, like anything I said is untrue? Maybe nobody has said any of that to your face, but many are thinking it and complaining about you in private. You don't even know what the true "bigger man" would do in this situation because you're not capable of being that person. Go report me, do whatever you want to do to feel better, man-child.
I would luv to give my honest Anole VX impressions infront of Overlordrush's face. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back