QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,501 of 2,715
I'm the Gary you've just posted your set on to. Your spot on, with n8 these are absolutely amazing

Glad you received it fast and safe, hope you enjoy it as much as I do :D

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #1,502 of 2,715
Glad you received it fast and safe, hope you enjoy it as much as I do :D
I've had a couple of hours with them and not moved the switches at all. They sound great and have the sort of bass I love. Might get my own set but also thinking of getting isn h40 as they sound a bargain. It's very kind of Doug to let me borrow them

Jan 11, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #1,505 of 2,715
I like superbax with mine, prefer it over hulk and stock. Not listened to others.

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #1,506 of 2,715
Any baroque music lovers here or people that play the cello? I'm wondering how the VX sounds with strings particularly the cello or bass viola da gamba.
I recently sold my EE Legend X so I'm thinking of moving to the VX but am curious about the tonality particularly for chamber music.
I just got in the Moondrop S8 for a work iem which is a little more present in the mids than I'm used to coming from the V shaped LX and find that the S8 emphasizes the "bite" of the bow more than the warmth and resonance of the body of the cellos. Violins can get a little fatiguing on the S8.
Wondering if the VX is a more natural sounding iem..

Thanks.

Jan 12, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #1,507 of 2,715
Hoping for some advice.

I love my Anole VX universals. I pair them with a SE100 DAP. I like how balanced they sound with all switches OFF. I've played around with EQ in the DAP but I'm in over my head. I like that I can tame things and reduce ear fatigue, but the music loses some excitement. I mostly listen to electric rock with vocals. Is there anywhere one can download recommended EQ settings to enter in manually and try for a specific IEM such as the Anole VX?

My other question is on cables. I enjoy the stock cable but I would like to try the balanced output of the SE100 and see how much better it can be. What would be a good cable to have made for QDC connectors and a 2.5m Balanced connector for SE100? Budget is under $750 US. Ergonomics are important as I use while traveling. I like the weight and lack of noise the stock cable makes.

I really like my current setup but I'd like to see how much better it can be so exploring EQ, cables, balanced outputs, tips, etc. Any recommendations are welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #1,508 of 2,715
I don’t think I’ve ever been so wow’ed from an initial listen as I have been with the Anole VX. What a wonderful sounding IEM. Took a massive risk blind buying these, but no regrets so far :) also the fit and comfort is unbelievable!
A9BE9E61-A91B-4F58-A838-11030B500B45.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #1,509 of 2,715
Same, although I've not heard them through a DMP-1Z... :)

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #1,510 of 2,715
I like that I can tame things and reduce ear fatigue, but the music loses some excitement. I mostly listen to electric rock with vocals. Is there anywhere one can download recommended EQ settings to enter in manually and try for a specific IEM such as the Anole VX?

Cant help you much with EQ, but like you said, EQing down the treble will almost always result in some lost is resolution/stage. You can try some different tips with smaller bore like song hybrid or triple comfort(or foam).

My other question is on cables. I enjoy the stock cable but I would like to try the balanced output of the SE100 and see how much better it can be. What would be a good cable to have made for QDC connectors and a 2.5m Balanced connector for SE100? Budget is under $750 US. Ergonomics are important as I use while traveling. I like the weight and lack of noise the stock cable makes.

I have some short cable impressions of VX when i was in JP: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/qdc-discussion-and-impressions-thread.804170/page-72#post-15145650 most of those cables should be within the $750 range, and I would recommend the Luminox Shadow for a warmer cable.
Luminox cables are a bit hard to find outside of asia, https://shop.hikaritv.net/shopping/commodity/plala/5410165596/?sid=k_s&cid=k_s this is the cheapest place to get it, but you will have to use a 3rd party shipper for shipping outside of japan.

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #1,512 of 2,715
Any baroque music lovers here or people that play the cello? I'm wondering how the VX sounds with strings particularly the cello or bass viola da gamba.
I recently sold my EE Legend X so I'm thinking of moving to the VX but am curious about the tonality particularly for chamber music.
I just got in the Moondrop S8 for a work iem which is a little more present in the mids than I'm used to coming from the V shaped LX and find that the S8 emphasizes the "bite" of the bow more than the warmth and resonance of the body of the cellos. Violins can get a little fatiguing on the S8.
Wondering if the VX is a more natural sounding iem..

Thanks.

I'm not a big fan of baroque music, but I do listen to a lot of romantic and post-romantic chamber music. The VX has a nice, smooth sound signature that makes it easy to listen to strings for long stretches. I haven't heard the S8, but looking at crinacle's measurements, the VX doesn't have the boosted response in the 2K-4K range that the S8 does, which I think contributes to the "bite" you're talking about. The IER-Z1R has a boosted response compared to the VX in the 3k-5k region, and I hear more bite in the violins. (I did a quick comparison on this album: https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68238.)

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:08 AM Post #1,513 of 2,715
I'm not a big fan of baroque music, but I do listen to a lot of romantic and post-romantic chamber music. The VX has a nice, smooth sound signature that makes it easy to listen to strings for long stretches. I haven't heard the S8, but looking at crinacle's measurements, the VX doesn't have the boosted response in the 2K-4K range that the S8 does, which I think contributes to the "bite" you're talking about. The IER-Z1R has a boosted response compared to the VX in the 3k-5k region, and I hear more bite in the violins. (I did a quick comparison on this album: https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68238.)

Thanks very much.. that is quite helpful

Jan 13, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #1,514 of 2,715
will the anole VX be a step up from the k10u. They are both 10BA drivers.

This is the exact upgrade I made about 5 months ago. There is really no comparison between the two in my opinion. The VX is more balanced, more musical, and a lot more comfortable. I have no regrets on making this upgrade. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back