QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #1,007 of 2,734
Phew it's been a long time coming and a lot of anticipation (was close to blind-buying an 8SL), but I finally managed to hear the Anole VX out of a friend’s WM1A and my Note 9.

All switches off, it seemed like extremely clear water a way to me, but exciting as well. It was clean, but not lean ala the Khan. It was marginally less warm than the U18t. I think the sub-bass was great for a BA, better than the U18t, but the mid-bass wasn't as punchy. The VX’s vocals were positioned more forward than the U18t. Stage size was above average to me, comparable to the U18t. The highs are aggressively defined like the Khan, it doesn’t quite sparkle, but it’s not tame like the U18t either, and it might be a bit fatiguing for some people (but I’m okay with it, only the Fourte is extremely sibilant for me). Its technicalities were obviously top-notch, I’d argue more resolving than the U18t, as detailed, and more pinpoint with its imaging.

Great summary of VX, totally agree!

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #1,008 of 2,734
Well, you are trashing one of the beast IEM’s at the moment. This is a neutral IEM with good bass that does not encroach on the mids and a detailed treble that stays just off the edge of sibilance and is very detailed. The mids are one of its many strong points. Everyone has their favorites, but trashing it? That sounds like something was amiss.
What were you using to listen to it? Maybe there was an issue there.
Trashing? The impression seemed pretty reserved and respectful. The VX just wasn’t his cup of tea. People need to decide if forums are temples of worship, or places of discussion including civilized disagreement. Just my $0.02.

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #1,009 of 2,734
My main point was, I can understand someone liking another IEM for whatever reason, but I find it hard to believe someone would flat out dislike an IEM of the quality of the VX. For example, in prior posts I pointed that in comparisons I preferred It to the Noble Encore, Kahn, Fourte, U18, etc. But that does not mean I flat out dislike those IEM’s. I feel the VX is better, but I can certainly listen to those others. Tks.

“I find it hard to believe someone would flat out dislike an IEM of the quality of the VX.”

Why? If you have the means to own a VX, my guess is you also have at least some experience with how other people perceive audio, not just yourself. By now you must have come away with many observations that can be distilled down to “everyone is different and no product will appeal to everyone”. VX should not be different. And no one should really care, other than to ask, “what do you like more and why”, not as the start of a debate, but as the continuation of personal exploration.

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #1,010 of 2,734

“I find it hard to believe someone would flat out dislike an IEM of the quality of the VX.”

Why? If you have the means to own a VX, my guess is you also have at least some experience with how other people perceive audio, not just yourself. By now you must have come away with many observations that can be distilled down to “everyone is different and no product will appeal to everyone”. VX should not be different. And no one should really care, other than to ask, “what do you like more and why”, not as the start of a debate, but as the continuation of personal exploration.
I disagree. The differences between these IEM’s are not night and day. As an example, when I have been out listening to speakers with friends, none of us flat out hated top tier speakers. We certainly had our preferences, but the “elite” never sounded terrible. The same is true if these TOTL IEM’s. I think we sometimes use much stronger words than we really mean when describing our choices. Tks.

Aug 9, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #1,011 of 2,734
I disagree. The differences between these IEM’s are not night and day. As an example, when I have been out listening to speakers with friends, none of us flat out hated top tier speakers. We certainly had our preferences, but the “elite” never sounded terrible. The same is true if these TOTL IEM’s. I think we sometimes use much stronger words than we really mean when describing our choices. Tks.
Well, then I take back that your experience would include people with different opinions on all products, I suppose. That was an assumption on my part, projecting from my own experience. I find it interesting that you believe there are products that simply cannot be disliked by anyone, but you are certainly in your rights to have that opinion (though the logical extension of that is @SilverEars is entitled to his, but, whatever! :) )

Aug 9, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #1,012 of 2,734
Well, then I take back that your experience would include people with different opinions on all products, I suppose. That was an assumption on my part, projecting from my own experience. I find it interesting that you believe there are products that simply cannot be disliked by anyone, but you are certainly in your rights to have that opinion (though the logical extension of that is @SilverEars is entitled to his, but, whatever! :) )
You are not understanding my point. Go with a few friends and listen to them and tell us if anyone actually hates these top tier IEM’s. Their views will be all over the map, which is to be expected. But to dislike listening to a top IEM is not likely. If you find otherwise, let me know. As I said, I think we sometimes use language that is too strong to describe what are nuances. Either way enjoy your listening.

Aug 9, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #1,013 of 2,734
You are not understanding my point. Go with a few friends and listen to them and tell us if anyone actually hates these top tier IEM’s. Their views will be all over the map, which is to be expected. But to dislike listening to a top IEM is not likely. If you find otherwise, let me know. As I said, I think we sometimes use language that is too strong to describe what are nuances. Either way enjoy your listening.
I will definitely enjoy my listening, and same to you. Have a great weekend.

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #1,014 of 2,734
I listened to the VX with SP1000M today. I find it to be a different level above my Meze RAI Penta. The bass is intoxicating for a full BA setup. The overall sound is very transparent, dynamic and resolving at a very high level. I don’t find the treble too bright or sibilant but I am concerned with an issue with the sharpness that I heard in the upper mid/lower treble region. Not sure if this will be an issue for me in the long term listening.. maybe I will listen again with a more laidback source..

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #1,015 of 2,734
I listened to the VX with SP1000M today. I find it to be a different level above my Meze RAI Penta. The bass is intoxicating for a full BA setup. The overall sound is very transparent, dynamic and resolving at a very high level. I don’t find the treble too bright or sibilant but I am concerned with an issue with the sharpness that I heard in the upper mid/lower treble region. Not sure if this will be an issue for me in the long term listening.. maybe I will listen again with a more laidback source..

Try the Gemini or 8SL. I too find VX to be too intense at the lower treble which Gemini and 8SL addresses.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Aug 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #1,017 of 2,734
Try the Gemini or 8SL. I too find VX to be too intense at the lower treble which Gemini and 8SL addresses.

Seconded, they were also a little too intense in that region for me. But the Geminis/8-series just don't do sub-bass well, something that the VX does wondrously, so I guess that's also something else to consider.

Aug 11, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #1,019 of 2,734
Aug 11, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #1,020 of 2,734

Users who are viewing this thread

Back