QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #991 of 2,728
Yes I consider 6K+ treble too, but I was talking more about the measurement you have beyond that I guess --closer to 8-10K where it rises again, while mine doesnt.

I just looked at our ER2SE measurement database, and mine actually shows more rise in that area. haha. Measurements in that region can be pretty suspect due to a lot of variance in tools, fit, and depth though.

Just trying to figure out if you're just more sensitive or if the unit was different. I do think that some people may find the treble levels to be a little on the high side if they're not used to this type of tuning - like coming from something like Andromeda or even Etymotics, where this area drops off pretty rapidly. I came from Solaris right before this and they generally are quite similar sounding except VX just does everything a little bit better. I also found Z1R to be in the same general ballpark though perhaps a little bit brighter in that same 4-8K region, and found it could be a little harsh, though I didn't have the best seal and only demo'd it for 20 minutes.
Etys rise in the presence region, and then declines, and depending on the insertion depth, a peak may show up at an area close to 10k depending on the length of the tip to the microphone. So, it's a different response.

Solaris is not similar sounding to me. Also, Z1R does have a upper-mids emphasis with the treble seemingly rolling off or on the dark-side (you can hear in on the high-hats). Most people that find Z1R bright is due to the upper-mids emphasis.

So, am I sensitive to treble or looking for balance?

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #992 of 2,728
Well, you are trashing one of the beast IEM’s at the moment. This is a neutral IEM with good bass that does not encroach on the mids and a detailed treble that stays just off the edge of sibilance and is very detailed. The mids are one of its many strong points. Everyone has their favorites, but trashing it? That sounds like something was amiss.
What were you using to listen to it? Maybe there was an issue there.

Its fine to fair criticisms, VX is not flawless and I would be the 1st to tell you that. But its also important to have some common point of reference when you compare IEMs.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #993 of 2,728
Etys rise in the presence region to upper-mids, and then declines, and depending on the insertion depth, a peak may show up at an area close to 10k depending on the length of the tip to the microphone. So, it's a different response.

Solaris is not similar sounding to me. Also, Z1R does have a upper-mids emphasis with the treble seemingly rolling off or on the dark-side (you can hear in on the high-hats). Most people that find Z1R bright is due to the upper-mids emphasis.

So, am I sensitive to treble or looking for balance?

To clarify - Solaris is a bit thicker and warmer, but I find the uppermids/treble to be pretty similar -- Solaris may bit a bit more shouty and fatiguing though.

@SilverEars haha I dont know :) What's your favorite In-Ears right now?

I am in love with the VX currently -- I do agree the switches don't do much, makes things worse, except the mid switch does work out pretty well. I am hoping to get more listening time of the Z1R though.

Aug 4, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #994 of 2,728
To clarify - Solaris is a bit thicker and warmer, but I find the uppermids/treble to be pretty similar -- Solaris may bit a bit more shouty and fatiguing though.

@SilverEars haha I dont know :) What's your favorite In-Ears right now?

I am in love with the VX currently -- I do agree the switches don't do much, makes things worse, except the mid switch does work out pretty well. I am hoping to get more listening time of the Z1R though.
Nothing really in the high price range I've demo'd so far is worth the price of it's performance. I'll still keep looking to see if I run into something that does impress me. As far as I see it, the transparency doesn't get better as prices get that high. I'm starting to realize, performance is limited and it's diminishing returns in the extremes.

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #995 of 2,728
Nothing really in the high price range I've demo'd so far is worth the price of it's performance. I'll still keep looking to see if I run into something that does impress me. As far as I see it, the transparency doesn't get better as prices get that high. I'm starting to realize, performance is limited and it's diminishing returns in the extremes.

I agree on the diminishing returns. Welcome to audio. I disagree on the quality of the VX. I copied the TIA Fourte’s graph from In-Ear Fidelity below. While it shows a slight bump in the treble, the graph is more even vs the bass and mids. However I consider the Fourte Sibilant with some recordings. The same recordings with the VX are smoother in the treble, yet just as detailed. The VX also has greater bass impact than the Fourte and the Fourte is using a DD. I wonder if the issue is one I have encountered all my life. Going by stats or graphs alone is mis-leading. However, that does not change the fact that you dislike it. I feel it is one of the best IEM’s available. As I said before, the source you are using might be playing a role. Any way, let us know if you ever find your perfect IEM. I would like to hear that. Tks.

upload_2019-8-4_23-9-59.jpeg

Aug 4, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #996 of 2,728
Its fine to fair criticisms, VX is not flawless and I would be the 1st to tell you that. But its also important to have some common point of reference when you compare IEMs.
My main point was, I can understand someone liking another IEM for whatever reason, but I find it hard to believe someone would flat out dislike an IEM of the quality of the VX. For example, in prior posts I pointed that in comparisons I preferred It to the Noble Encore, Kahn, Fourte, U18, etc. But that does not mean I flat out dislike those IEM’s. I feel the VX is better, but I can certainly listen to those others. Tks.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #997 of 2,728

Yea the price to performance ratio is grows exponentially which kind of sucks for us consumers. Being in the US doesnt help either since it's hard to locate IEMs to try out, and usually have to resort to lucky meet-ups, finding someone who's nice and will meet you, or going to a convention.

Aug 5, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #998 of 2,728
@SilverEars ok, so lets break down your original argument here

Tried out the QDC TOTL, Anole VX, and came out unimpressed with the price-performance.
Nothing really in the high price range I've demo'd so far is worth the price of it's performance.
So this is more of a lack of understanding of basic economics on your part than anything else..

For the price asking for, I'd expect a bit more balance and also better transparency than much lower priced iems.
So what are those much cheaper IEMs with better balance and better transparency again?

the cable wiring looks pretty much identical to Kanas pro cable wiring?! I didn't find the switch all that useful, and didn't like the bass switch up. Maybe mids switch is fine as well, but the there is an area of the treble the switch doesn't really effect.
So the 2 very common complain of VX or qdc in general...

So comparing your graph of VX and ER2 vs @antdroid and Crin's graph, it shows that your graph is very different in the 8-10k range compare to the graphs from the other 2 measurements, am I suppose to believe that your unit is different than the 2? or is just that your measurements were off, since it's somewhat of a common knowledge that insertion depth can mess with the 8k-10k region.

What's up with blip in the response? Cross-over issues?
I assume you are talking about the 5.5khz dip. And for someone with a sensitivity to treble, I assume you would know that the 5.5k dip is there to decrease sibilant.

But hey, what do I know... I'm just a qdc shill, you must be right... VX is crap after all /s...

Aug 5, 2019 at 2:55 AM Post #999 of 2,728
VX does have a bump in the lower treble. I find it harsh. But 2 of my audiophile friends loved the treble, as long as they were using a smooth source. So it definitely is not a smooth IEM. Depending on one’s treble sensitivity, it might fall anywhere from sparkly to harsh.

Aug 5, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #1,001 of 2,728
For me, without a doubt, it's the Fourte that is brighter and harsher between the 2 IEMs.

With the U18 though, the story is a bit different and interesting. Its overall brighter in tone than the VX, but its treble isn't as sharp or harsh sounding as the VX. I am a treble sensitive person and it's probably the only IEM I have seen exhibit that behaviour. But that's based on testing the U18 for a little over than a week. For all we know, I probably might have started finding U18's treble offensive in the long run.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #1,002 of 2,728
Hi, comparing VX and Tia Fourte, which one has brighter/more treble?
The Fourte’s treble is brighter. I find it can get sibilant (and using an N8 in Tube mode, it will still get sibilant on certain recordings). It has a wider soundstage if that is what you are into, but I find the timbre of the bass, mids and treble better on the VX ( I have a custom though). It also has more bass impact than the Fourte.
To hear the sibilance try using recordings of Adel, especially Hello from her “25” album. Better recorded Jazz albums will not have this issue to my ears. Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue” sounds great on the Fourte, but I still prefer my Custom VX on this album as well. Hope this helps.

Aug 5, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #1,003 of 2,728
Phew it's been a long time coming and a lot of anticipation (was close to blind-buying an 8SL), but I finally managed to hear the Anole VX out of a friend’s WM1A and my Note 9.

All switches off, it seemed like extremely clear water a way to me, but exciting as well. It was clean, but not lean ala the Khan. It was marginally less warm than the U18t. I think the sub-bass was great for a BA, better than the U18t, but the mid-bass wasn't as punchy. The VX’s vocals were positioned more forward than the U18t. Stage size was above average to me, comparable to the U18t. The highs are aggressively defined like the Khan, it doesn’t quite sparkle, but it’s not tame like the U18t either, and it might be a bit fatiguing for some people (but I’m okay with it, only the Fourte is extremely sibilant for me). Its technicalities were obviously top-notch, I’d argue more resolving than the U18t, as detailed, and more pinpoint with its imaging.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back