QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #946 of 2,715
"Yeah I also use DFN from Luminox and they are a bit thick and stiff side. So I bought 85-Filter on top. they are lighter and more pliant.
Let us know if removal of wire went successful."

I'm interested in upgrading the cable on my Anole VX universals. I see the comments on Luminox DFN being stiff and Luminox 85F being more pliant. Can you comment on the sonic improvements and differences between the DNF and the 85F relative to each other and relative to the stock cable? Thanks. Also, what's the easiest way to order a Luminox cable in the US?

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #947 of 2,715
"Yeah I also use DFN from Luminox and they are a bit thick and stiff side. So I bought 85-Filter on top. they are lighter and more pliant.
Let us know if removal of wire went successful."

I'm interested in upgrading the cable on my Anole VX universals. I see the comments on Luminox DFN being stiff and Luminox 85F being more pliant. Can you comment on the sonic improvements and differences between the DNF and the 85F relative to each other and relative to the stock cable? Thanks. Also, what's the easiest way to order a Luminox cable in the US?
Sonic difference between different cables are very subtle and hard to describe.
Said that, great resolution and well extended highs with DFN. Not particularly strong in bass
region though.

https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...s.com/2018/03/14/luminox-audio-day-for-night/

85F is just all rounder. Some improvements all across compared to stock but not significantly.
85F is so much lighter and more comfortable than DFN though.

dunno if they have a distributor in US. Sorry can't be of further assistance.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #948 of 2,715
vx vs z1r.PNG
So pretty much the same IEM all the way up to 2kHz and stil only 7db difference at most and that's at the 5.5k dip. They do feel more different then what that graph is showing tho...
@ddmt you had your z1r/VX for a while now, any thoughts?

Jul 25, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #949 of 2,715
Got the Neptune in today, it’s pretty sweet. Neutral but with some good pacing to it. Great control, and soundstage has nice dimensions. Might do a formal review later on.

Jul 25, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #950 of 2,715

So pretty much the same IEM all the way up to 2kHz and stil only 7db difference at most and that's at the 5.5k dip. They do feel more different then what that graph is showing tho...
@ddmt you had your z1r/VX for a while now, any thoughts?
Oh well, I still can't read graphs properly. How come they share the idential lines though sound so diffrently each other? Is it just my eyes :eyeglasses: or ears :headphones: ?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #951 of 2,715
Oh well, I still can't read graphs properly. How come they share the idential lines though sound so diffrently each other? Is it just my eyes :eyeglasses: or ears :headphones: ?

same here, what i heard differs from the graph. the z1r has fuller more impactful bass due to the DD and the VX mid is slightly forward compared to the sony. what’s interesting is the VX sounds more airy due to its near reference tuning but the graph shows otherwise where VX is lower in treble region in the graph.
i will have to trust my ears as everyone hears differently

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #952 of 2,715

The z1r feel bassier due to the more natural decay, and somehow VX's lower mid dont feel as recessed. Its are a very good example of driver implementation. They sound nothing alike while having very similar sound signature. Give z1r a try if you ever get the chance.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #953 of 2,715
The z1r feel bassier due to the more natural decay, and somehow VX's lower mid dont feel as recessed. Its are a very good example of driver implementation. They sound nothing alike while having very similar sound signature. Give z1r a try if you ever get the chance.
VX vs Z1R is a perfect example of FR not telling the whole story. VX sounds punchy and aggressive because of its BA speed, but can sound a bit hyperreal like the Utopia. Z1R sounds smoother but with better imaging. I usually find gear of different FRs to be complimentary, but in this case the VX and Z1R are complimentary based on technical characteristics.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #954 of 2,715
Yeah I also use DFN from Luminox and they are a bit thick and stiff side. So I bought 85-Filter on top. they are lighter and more pliant.
Let us know if removal of wire went successful.

Does the 85-Filter comes with a "memory wire / ear guide"?

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #958 of 2,715
@Tweety 99

actually Luminox will be releasing 2 new cables, the Shadow and Tri-Light here is a taiwanese audio review site talking about the cables.
https://medium.com/mad4u/luminox-audio-的光與影-26610717e750

some rough translation:
Tri-light: good instrument separation, speed, detail, but vocal not as good. A alternative to Night for Night

Shadow: Bass-mid focused

1_EMuo0SWAu9S2IEZVJVEbUg.jpeg

The Tri-light is going to be around twice the price of Shadow, so I guess Luminox are offering alternatives to their DFN and NFN cable. The product page of Shadow is already on e-e, so hopefully they will have a demo unit when I'm in Japan mid August.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back