QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #271 of 2,722
cool, i'm debating if I should get a N8 or not, and maybe upgrade my gemini to VX
OK, the short version is that if you are considering the Gemini or the N8 then I think you HAVE to test them both if at all possible. Unless you know that you prefer a lot of detail everywhere and not as concerned about some warmth, rich body and soul for lack of better terms. The Gemini is a pretty good IEM and I would have preferred it if I still preferred that non rolling sub bass and deep bass signature. But having the N8 for a couple of weeks now, I think I would miss it if I went to something like the Gemini now.

I know this probably doesn't help you too much but I never was very good at describing the sound like many on here can.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #272 of 2,722
What are the best sound isolating eartips for the Gemini? I like deep insertion, used etymotics for like the last 6 years. Also, how is this for portable use in general? Any comments on isolation, cable noise would be appreciated.

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #273 of 2,722
What are the best sound isolating eartips for the Gemini? I like deep insertion, used etymotics for like the last 6 years. Also, how is this for portable use in general? Any comments on isolation, cable noise would be appreciated.

really depends on your ear and what fits best for you, I personally use the acoustune AET 08

Nov 20, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #274 of 2,722
Everyone is going crazy over the Gemini but I just listened to the Gemini and the 8CH and the VX and honestly, I liked the 8CH the most. Maybe if you prefer the absolute most neutral sound, then Gemini would be a good fit. But the 8CH just has a tiny bit "better" bass. I think it might be more quantity. There was always something missing in the low end when I compared it back and forth with the 8CH. The bass on the 8CH sounded just right to me personally. One last thing about the Gemini, I could not tell much of a difference with the bass switch on vs bass switch off. More importantly, no matter what position the switch was in, I still liked the bass on the 8CH more. The treble on the 8CH is a little less bright, but still maintains a good sense of air and has basically the same level of detail. The 8CH is basically a slightly more fun sounding Gemini. If you're use case is primarily listening to music, not stage monitoring or mixing, then I highly recommend the 8CH. As far as the VX goes, it's just too expensive and doesn't offer enough improvement in sound for me to justify it's purchase. The cable on the VX is really nice though, the store said I could have the VX cable with my 8CH purchase if I pay a little extra.

Between the 8CH and the Gemini, I think it's all up to preference, I cannot say one is superior to the other. As far as the VX goes, it might be worth it if you can hear the improvement in the sound and can justify the price tag.

I'm going to head back to the store and place my order for the 8CH sometime this week. I'm tired of listening to headphones back and forth. I've listened to basically every headphone near the top of Crinacle's iem ranking list and there were a few that I liked slightly more in terms of sound, but if you combine sound, practicality, and price, I think the 8CH is perfectly capable of holding it's own.

One last thing, does anyone have recommendations for triple flange tips that fit QDC, the nozzle is freaking huge. I've gotten used to my Ety triple flange on my er4xr. They have really good isolation.

Nov 23, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #279 of 2,722
Just ordered the 8 hifi edition. Got the transparent orange and red options. Now the wait begins.

They're a Chinese company. I doubt they do black Friday sales.

Takes them about 1 weeks if you live in china, and around 4 weeks if you are not, they are not really interested on having a international market.v

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #280 of 2,722

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #282 of 2,722
I had been spending hours with QDC VX the weekend just passed. Please do try them before you get a pair. You may also want to audit it with the exact DAP or any device you would like to pair with. These are good IEMs. Great details; balanced and transparent sound; however, no soundstage or imaging whatsoever to me. Left is left, and right is right. Sounds come to your ear separately.

I am not sure I get this "imaging" word right. By this, I want to say the feeling like ier-z1r does to me that you just cannot tell where sounds come from and it's like the singer is standing in your brain or slightly in front of you. To elaborate with this, I would say the "soundstage" is quite wide for ier-z1r as you feel like the band is spreading in front of you, but not vertical enough as the band is spreading in a direct line. I prefer the feeling FW10000 gives me where I would be much more likely to tell who seats where in, for example, an orchestra when I am enjoying a symphony.

To their defense, QDC brands itself as a maker of professional IEM and serves many singers. Maybe VX fits exactly that purpose. You can definitely hear everything in a clear, authentic, and balanced way. And I might imagine that singers on stage would not need to understand where the guitars, the drums, and the piano come from--they are not listening to music for pleasure, and they would only need to know how they sound like.

However, I as a simply a fan for music would expect more for IEMs with such a price tag.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #283 of 2,722
How do the qdc higher end models pair with the WM1Z? I'm mainly looking at the Anole VX and the 8SH. Have a Hyla CE-5 currently and looking to expand my collection in the future.
I guess I am cross posting here, but thought I would share this adapter.

qdc uses a UE CM connector, which is not as common as CM, or MMCX. Other IEMs that use this connector are the UE18Pro, Unique Melody Mason. The UECM makes a good secure connection with the IEM socket, but is unfortunately yet another connector type to juggle.
Just to share a workaround, as I wanted to try other cables, without needing to convert them to UECM. I just ordered/received an MMCX to UECM adapter from Lunashops, and am trying them out now with a Beat PD4 MMCX cable, and they are working out well. Ordered them last night and received them today, actually, which is a pleasant surprise.
adapter For Ultimate UE UE18PRO 11PRO 10PRO 7PRO 4PRO Earphone Pins Plug To MMCX Female
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5583

5583_G_1484187889388.jpg

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #284 of 2,722
How do the qdc higher end models pair with the WM1Z? I'm mainly looking at the Anole VX and the 8SH. Have a Hyla CE-5 currently and looking to expand my collection in the future.

They should sound fine with most high end dap, but I would still suggest you demo them before purchase. I personally prefer WM1A with my Gemini, maybe give 8SS a try if you have 1Z.

Jan 8, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #285 of 2,722
They should sound fine with most high end dap, but I would still suggest you demo them before purchase. I personally prefer WM1A with my Gemini, maybe give 8SS a try if you have 1Z.

Unfortunately thats impossible for me cause I'm in Canada and theres no qdc dealer here. The place I usually go to carries Empire Ears and AKxJH collab iems only. 8SS I assume is the studio version which is more neutral? But yeah in any case I will see how the CE-5 plays with my 1Z once I get it and then go from there, no rush lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back