QDC - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #2,251 of 2,715
I’ve been listening to my Odin and V14 in order to properly reply to your question. I used the same 1960s cable in order to eliminate that variable. As mentioned, the Odin has tons of detail but due to its midrange bump, it is fatiguing with less than stellar recordings as well as with some female vocalists. The V14 does not have this excessive midrange (all switches off), so it is far more enjoyable to my ears. Part of this is also due to its better mid-bass presence which balances the sound in a more desirable manner.

The Odin has very extended trebles, but sometimes they’re presented with a somewhat sterile quality where the V14 trebles are silkier. There is, however, a bit of tizz as I hear it with the V14, a finely granulated character, and this quality drove me to experiment with a different cable by using my Odin’s 1960s cable which improved this quality. As far as detail retrieval goes, I’d give the edge to the Odin, but as far as musicality and tone, the V14 betters it. Of course, this is only my opinion.

Staging goes to the Odin, but just by a bit. Both models produce a big sounding stage where images are clearly delineated in a three dimensional space. This is to be expected with flagship models from my experience.

If I had to choose between the two, the V14 is to my ears a more engaging and musical performer, but clearly the music genre will dictate different results. I love the Odin when I listen to symphonic music while the V14 kicks butt with edm, as an example.

Hope that helps … ✌️
Wow, you sure know how to make a person want one!

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #2,252 of 2,715
I’ve been listening to my Odin and V14 in order to properly reply to your question. I used the same 1960s cable in order to eliminate that variable. As mentioned, the Odin has tons of detail but due to its midrange bump, it is fatiguing with less than stellar recordings as well as with some female vocalists. The V14 does not have this excessive midrange (all switches off), so it is far more enjoyable to my ears. Part of this is also due to its better mid-bass presence which balances the sound in a more desirable manner.

The Odin has very extended trebles, but sometimes they’re presented with a somewhat sterile quality where the V14 trebles are silkier. There is, however, a bit of tizz as I hear it with the V14, a finely granulated character, and this quality drove me to experiment with a different cable by using my Odin’s 1960s cable which improved this quality. As far as detail retrieval goes, I’d give the edge to the Odin, but as far as musicality and tone, the V14 betters it. Of course, this is only my opinion.

Staging goes to the Odin, but just by a bit. Both models produce a big sounding stage where images are clearly delineated in a three dimensional space. This is to be expected with flagship models from my experience.

If I had to choose between the two, the V14 is to my ears a more engaging and musical performer, but clearly the music genre will dictate different results. I love the Odin when I listen to symphonic music while the V14 kicks butt with edm, as an example.

Hope that helps … ✌️
Thanks for the detailed comparison! That helps a lot :thumbsup: This sounds like a refined VX with a bit more bass and nicely implemented EST drivers for the highs. That's what I also get told from a friend.

1624800278939.png

At the moment I got used to the Odin and

Jun 27, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,253 of 2,715
Hey guys, I’m not quite sure it is allowed, but I haven’t had any bites on my stock V14 cable I’m selling, so I thought I’d mention I have a new one with removable connectors and thicker wires for about half price. Message me if interested. ✌️

Jul 2, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #2,255 of 2,715
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #2,257 of 2,715
Got a hard time to choose between U12T vs VX. Read a lot review and also the thread. I understood U12T got a better bass. But that's not what I care most. I more like a wider, deep, holographic sound stage with sound comes in front of me instead of in my head. Heard VX gets a bit taller soundstage, that not I like, but tolerable. I most listen to string instruments, violin, piano, guitar. Basically no vocal for me. Which one do our guys fit me better? I heard U12T get a more natural timbre and VX is a bit plastic BA. Not so sure. Thanks in advance

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #2,258 of 2,715
Got a hard time to choose between U12T vs VX. Read a lot review and also the thread. I understood U12T got a better bass. But that's not what I care most. I more like a wider, deep, holographic sound stage with sound comes in front of me instead of in my head. Heard VX gets a bit taller soundstage, that not I like, but tolerable. I most listen to string instruments, violin, piano, guitar. Basically no vocal for me. Which one do our guys fit me better? I heard U12T get a more natural timbre and VX is a bit plastic BA. Not so sure. Thanks in advance

If you’re looking for soundstage depth, the VX is probably not the best choice. It has a very in-head center image where you have to sort of cross your eyes and look downwards to discern it. U12t is probably the closest you’d find to a speaker-like center image in IEMs. Even then, I would temper your expectations (don’t expect instruments to pop several feet out from in front of you or anything like that), as it’s mostly your brain and psychoacoustics doing the legwork.

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #2,259 of 2,715
If you’re looking for soundstage depth, the VX is probably not the best choice. It has a very in-head center image where you have to sort of cross your eyes and look downwards to discern it. U12t is probably the closest you’d find to a speaker-like center image in IEMs. Even then, I would temper your expectations (don’t expect instruments to pop several feet out from in front of you or anything like that), as it’s mostly your brain and psychoacoustics doing the legwork.
Thanks for your reply. I did read your reviews as well. But also come across others' "Deep AF" comments which puzzled me a bit. Yeah, I do look for a somewhat speaker-like image. That's what I wish I could have for a 2k iem

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #2,260 of 2,715
Ngl I had always thought VX/8SL had pretty deep stage depth when I heard them, while having a narrow stage. I didn't really care about centre imaging, but the depth I was imagining was this, as if I was staring into a narrow cave, and instruments can go far back and tickle the back of your ear/jaw. Quite an exhilarating experience at first:

_______________/_____\ Front
______________/________\
_____________/__________ \
___________ /_____O______\
__________/________________\
________/___________________\
_______/_____________________\ Back

If I do not pay attention to the music as a whole but rather the individual parts/instruments, I notice the stage is just like this. Quite a lot is in-head/close to head

__________________/__\ Front
________________/__O__\
_______________/________\ Back

I have a feeling it's part of the qdc tuning trick for your brain, to have the bass and lower mid range/chesty part of the vocals louder, close to the back and downwards, while upper mids/higher vocals towards the front, recessed and upwards. A kinda chesty shouty tuning. So depending on the music, you get a kinda soaring feeling or rocking back and forth, giving a sense of depth. This also gives a sense of soundstage height like below:

________________________________/ Up
________________________/________
_______________O/_______________
_______/_________________________
/________________________________ Down
Back >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Front

Whereas for the U12T, I find instruments are held still to the ground in front of you, so since they don't sweep to the back of the ear, the depth isn't so obvious at first.
Though thinking again, aren't all iems already in your head, and it's about how much they can trick you into thinking there's soundstage? XD

But nvm if you can't relate XD, might just be spouting nonsense

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #2,261 of 2,715
Hello! I'm trying to decide between the V14 and Final A8000, I'm also considering the Odin but if any one of the previous two iems i mentioned can perform just as well as the Odin then I'd save money. I'll be using my A&K SE180. Which one do you guys recommend?

Jul 19, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #2,262 of 2,715
Hmm random thought about QDC cables. I just bought a QDC cable which surprised me by having a straight QDC connector when it arrived rather than an angled one.

Capture qdc.PNG

I was disappointed at first, since it looked like a lazy way to convert 2 pin to QDC, and worse still, the seller got the polarity on each side opposite to each other...
Anyway, I cut off the heat shrink to correct the polarities.

To my surprise, I was able to fit my 8SL much deeper and more snug than before. Without being limited by the angled connectors being stuck at the front of my ear, I could twist my iems to get an amazing seal. Subbass was immediately boosted by this seal, and I don't feel pain from wearing the iems for a long time. I'm definitely leaning to having this connector for future qdc cables.

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,263 of 2,715
On my IEM odyssey I made a stopover with qdc and their Anole VX. It came with an alternative cable (OpenHeart 4 core) and sounded okay and I can understand that some people call him boring in some way.
For another IEM I had bought a PW Audio 1960s cable in the past and while I tried it - the Anole VX began really to shine. Well I guess some will still call it boring but then there's the bass switch and voilà :grinning: while I'm happy to turn it off most of the time. On "good days" I almost forget that is's a In-Ear and instead listen a hifi system.

That brings me to the question if the 1960s did change more or less of the sound and character on the VX compared to the stock cable :thinking:

Jul 28, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #2,264 of 2,715
On my IEM odyssey I made a stopover with qdc and their Anole VX. It came with an alternative cable (OpenHeart 4 core) and sounded okay and I can understand that some people call him boring in some way.
For another IEM I had bought a PW Audio 1960s cable in the past and while I tried it - the Anole VX began really to shine. Well I guess some will still call it boring but then there's the bass switch and voilà :grinning: while I'm happy to turn it off most of the time. On "good days" I almost forget that is's a In-Ear and instead listen a hifi system.

That brings me to the question if the 1960s did change more or less of the sound and character on the VX compared to the stock cable :thinking:

I never tried a different cable with my VX when I owned it, but I did switch the stock Anole V14 cable with a 1960s and I like that combo much better. 👍

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #2,265 of 2,715

OpenHeart cables is the lowest of lowest grade IMO…why they couple $2 cheap cable to VX that I don’t know.

PWA’s copper cables usually does great job enhancing mid-bass and upper mid to lower treble👍 But I still feel stock cable is best balanced in terms of delicacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back