QC3 or SE530
Jun 4, 2008 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TroyEade

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I do a lot of travelling and looking for a set of headphones/IEM's to help listen to music whilst drowning out the Airplane engines. It's also be good to have a set that I can use to cut out the noise whilst sleeping, and therefore not listening to music. My budget is approximately £250'ish and the headphones will be hooked up to my iPod.

How do active noise cancelling headphones (e.g. Bose QC3) stand up to Passive IEM's (e.g. SE530)?

The noise isolation is important as well as the sound quality. Also portability is important. So far i'm leaning torwards the SE530's as they do not need an external power source (e.g. batteries), and small (easy to pack and less weight for excess baggage possibilities) and get good reviews. However people also rate the QC2/3's for noise isolation and sound quality. However I've never tried IEM's, only the iPod buds as well as headphones for home use, and don't know how they are for comfort.

I listen to Heavy Metal/Punk mainly, plus other styles. e.g. Reggae/Ska, etc...

Any opinions, especially from people who travel, appreciated.

Cheers,

Troy

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #3 of 15
The Shures would be a good choice.

For an alternative, I'd suggest Etymotic Er-4P -they isolate tremendously well. Less £££ too.

Depends also on your preferences re sound presentation i.e. very bass heavy vs clarity in the upper mids/trebles....

edit\ shucks, forgot: welcome to Head Fi!

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyEade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's also be good to have a set that I can use to cut out the noise whilst sleeping, and therefore not listening to music.

If I remember correctly, the noise cancelling of the QC2/3 does not work unless the phone is on and playing music. The phones also wont play without noise cancelling on.

So I think your choice should be the SE530. The Shures isolate a LOT better than the Bose anyways. Active noise cancelling only works well for constant noises like the droning of the plane engine but not well for a baby screaming behind you.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 15
I have used both and would recommend the Shure SE530 if the seal and sound is more important. They generally sound cleaner and more detailed and the base is tighter. They seal slightly better too, almost perfectly, that's not to say the QC3's don't seal well.

Where the QC3's take the cake is in comfort and ease of use. They are extremely comfortable, and the fact that you can slide them on and off in no time at all helps. Whereas with the SE530 or any IEM you have to fiddle getting them on and getting that seal on perfect.

However, if you plan to sleep with these, get the SE530's. they are made for music loving sleepers, since you can sleep with them, even on your side, and wake up the next morning feeling fine, without any ear ache at all. At least, that's how they are with me.

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 15
go with shures man definitely better than B OS E, as someone said b4 UM2 is also very comfortable.....

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Yeah, I'd avoid the Bose as well. Way overpriced for average at best sound. They don't even compare to the 530's. If you do want a regular noise canceling headphone, go with the Audio Technica ANC-7. I think you can buy them for around $120, and they sound a lot better than the Bose, at nearly 1/3 the price. Plus unlike the Bose they will work w/out the battery (though the sound isn't as good).

I fly a lot myself and I'm always amazed at the number of people (especially in first/business class) with the Bose, they fall victim to Bose's excellent marketing, but below average audio. When people spend so much money I guess they want to believe they own "the best".

Jun 8, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 15
I have QC2's I use for air travel. They go around the ear as apposed to sitting on the ear like to QC3's. I feel they are more comfortable and provide better sound isolation. The QC2's can be used for music without noise canceling or with noise canceling only. personally I don't like IEM's, I find having something stuck in my ear annoying, and for me , a several hour flight with IEM's would be unbearable. The QC2's on the other hand I find light and comfortable. The Bose have reasonable sound quality given their comfort and isolating abilities, however if sound is most important to you than the Shures are the way to go.

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 15
Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I went ahead and ordered the SE530PTH, and they arrived yesterday. Still having fun testing the different earbuds. I'll be ready to test this out in a couple of weeks where i have about 6 short haul flights to do.

Apr 19, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #15 of 15
I used to sleep sometimes on my side with my Shure e4 and they were a little unconfortable. But now have the SE 530 and they are way better. But now I am afraid they could break or something could be damaged by sleeping with them. Any comments on this? Is there anyhting to worry about here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back