Q40 Electical Shock in my ear
Oct 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

chops13

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I just bought the Q40 headphones.

As the title states I am being electrically shocked out of the right side speaker quite frequently. I have another set of headphones for testing so I will describe my findings.

I am getting shocked when then headphones are plugged into my Pioneer VSX-43tx 1/4" headphone jack. The frequency of this is about every 20 seconds I get 3-4 little shocks in the right ear only. It does not matter if I am sitting still, rubbing my feet on the carpet, swinging my arms, etc (generating friction). Also worth noting is when there is no content playing I can audibly hear out of the right side electricity buzzing around constantly.

I do not get shocked when using the 1/4" output on my external soundcard sitting at the computer.

I also do not get shocked when using the 3.5mm connecting directly to my IPOD.

For interests sake I took another set of full headphones (Proluxe PRO-50) and plugged them into the 1/4" jack on the Pioneer receiver. Thru these headphones I do not get a shock at all or hear any static.

Furthermore, the Q40 headphones were physically broken out of the box... The plastic 2-piece plate that is held together by a little screw was floating around in the box. It appears the threads were stripped out of the plastic housing.

Any thoughts on the electrical shocking?

Oct 28, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Might want to return them, wouldn't you think?

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 15
Great Pickups. Grado SR-80s are nice little cans. Good Luck!

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 15
Lol. That's an extremely strange problem that I have never had with my Q40s. Be sure to tell us if you like the Grados or Q40s more.

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #6 of 15
I'm guessing he'll like the SR80's more mainly because they're kind to him
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by klamP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing he'll like the SR80's more mainly because they're kind to him
smily_headphones1.gif

I wouldn't be so sure; Grado bowls can be very unkind themselves
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by | Scorpio | /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't be so sure; Grado bowls can be very unkind themselves
biggrin.gif

True, but at least they're electrically insulated properly.
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 15
I only had the Q40's for 2 days. So it might be hard to give a good comparison.

What I did do is spend about 4 hours listening to the q40 and the grado 80 in the store.

My initial impressions comparisons lead me to buying the grado 80. Otherwise I was just going to exchange the q40's for another pair and give them a try.

I found that the bass response in the q40 was overbearing. There where certain hz ranges and songs where the bass was overpowering the vocals and other instruments.

I also found the instrument separation was stronger with the sr80. This was close though.

The grado's were so much more comfortable. The clamping power on the q40 was too strong. After 1hr they started to cause a headache. Also the grado's were so much lighter. Refreshing. The bass reproduction was much more neutral. In comparison the lack of 'boominess' was nice.

Oct 30, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 15
sounds like the grados are for you. Next you'll have to try the 225s or 325s or even the rs-1's. :)

Oct 30, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 15
Oct 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like the grados are for you. Next you'll have to try the 225s or 325s or even the rs-1's. :)

That's it -- start his wallet on the "road to ruin"....
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's it -- start his wallet on the "road to ruin"....
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Isn't that the whole point of this place? Help spend people's money, jack up credit card bills, get into debt, go bankrupt and enjoy beautiful music the whole way!!!
wink_face.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bce22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that the whole point of this place? Help spend people's money, jack up credit card bills, get into debt, go bankrupt and enjoy beautiful music the whole way!!!
wink_face.gif

Yup -- and, that's exactly what happened to me....
confused_face.gif
tongue.gif
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back