Q: Last Stylus Cleaner brushes ?
Apr 30, 2003 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JMedeiros

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got some LAST Stylus cleaner and the directions say to use the brush built into the cap. But there was also a little black plastic handled brush with a tiny round brown brush on the end of it. Is this an alternative brush to the one inside the bottle top? This extra and different brush is not mentioned in the instructions.

Thanks for any help-
John

Apr 30, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 6
The little round brush is used to actually get dirt from the stylus. It's stiff enough to get crud that get caked on. It's also stiff enough to completely destroy a stylus if used incorrectly. Always use a stylus cleaner from back to front. No other motion allowed. Do not add pressure beyond the weight of the arm. Anything else is dangerous.

May 1, 2003 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Hirsch...as you can see...I am treating your old and my new turntable with TLC
smily_headphones1.gif

John

May 1, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi, I also have the Last stylus cleaner. I read that you shouldn't use the solvent based cleaner too much or it may end up damaging the cantilever. I usually use the solvent once every listening session (maybe 5 LPs or so) and use the other brush between LPs or whenever crud gets on the stylus. Don't know if this is the right way to do it though.

May 2, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 6
I use the cap-brush to dab Last onto a second stiff brush. Then I apply the cleaner. Finally, I used the supplied stiff brush for removal.

I fear that the cap brush might allow too much cleaner to slop onto the cantilever.

I use it about every ten sides, though perhaps I should do more? I also use the Cardas frequency sweep record which GC claims vibrates dirt off the stylus!

May 2, 2003 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 6
You apply the liquid to the stylus using the brush built into the cap. This loosens the gunk. Then you 'wipe' the stylus (from back to front) with the other brush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back