Q-Jays and filters out of the box
Sep 13, 2009 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ced-le-pingouin

New Head-Fier
Excuse my dumb question, but do the Q-Jays have filters installed out of the box?

I just got a pair of these, and the manual is not very clear about that, and since the filters are black, and so is the "grid", I can't quite see if filters are already installed.

It sounds dumb to ask, but for others IEMs that use filters, it is much more visible (e.g. Etys), or they couldn't even work without them (on the Jays, filters are just a thin layer apparently).

Thanks.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 11
Yes, the filter is pre-installed.

JAYS uses dual filter system. A glued on thin filter on the top of the nozzle and an internal stuff-in filter (more like those on Ety). If you remove the outer filter and accidentally contaminate the inner filter (earwax and such), you'll need to send the IEM back to JAYS for repair.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks. Mmmh, I'll take good care of it then.

Those outer filters are so thin I wouldn't have noticed them if the manual didn't mention them.

Sep 14, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 11
The black filter is the wax guard and comes pre-mounted on all our models. The inner filter behind the blaco ne, green on q-JAYS, is an acoustic filter. The black wax guard filter have adhesive on the back and can easily be removed and changed if you get problems with the acoustics.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 11
Also, some people find the outer filter / wax guard easily gets dirty when using silicone eartips. Generally, I find the foam tip helps protect the filter from dirt for a long time (but at the cost of foam tip of course). I use a mod'ed olive on mine (JAYS foam is a bit too small for me) and so far has no problem with the filter at all. Comply P probably will fit too.

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 11
People have different wax buildups. Some less, some more. Also the earwax have different constance around the world. In Asia it is more fluid like and in Europe it is more firm for example and if your body is warm it also becomes more fluid like. Don't we all love ear wax :wink:
We have now made some minor adjustments that will make the change of filters a bit less for people with more earwax. In the end we believe that the ability to change the filters still is better than not. We have seen competitors using metal grids and some pins to get rid of the dirt but with that solution the dirt gets pushed into the device and we don't see that as a proper solution in the long run. It's a solution for the moment.

I recommend people with more earwax to do a proper cleaning of the ears every now and then. Not only for the dirt issues but also for the sound benefits of any earphone you put into the ear. Earwax is actually a good thing since it kills bacteria and transports dirt out of the ear so don't keep it too clean :wink:

Cheers!

Sep 14, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the great answers.

Good to see Jays' people around here
smily_headphones1.gif

The Q-Jays have fantastic detail!
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 11
I love my Q-Jays and it is not too difficult to change the filters. I would say the sound signature falls between somewhere ER4S and SE530 for me. My absolute favorite IEM is my ER4S even with microphonic but I sold off my SE530.

But my Q-Jays will stay with me for a long time.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #9 of 11
The best filtering system I have seen to date comes from the ADDIEM ; a screw on metal mesh cap. I have read, however, that some people eventually lost them because they can become unscrewed after a period of time.

But it certainly beats buying expensive new filters every few months. With my Q-Jays, I was going through them too fast, sadly.

One mistake I did one day was to wear them about 15 mins after a shower. I just had put a new pair of filters too ; they got clogged up and useless right away, lesson learned
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 11
Ditto on the problem with recent showers and clogged filters. I learned not to push them in too far in the morning.

Also, the black filters can be cleaned. Take them out and put them in a closed jar with some warm water and soap. Careful, they are small and slip away easily. After two or three cleanings the glue that holds them on to the player can start to dissolve. This helped me cut way back on the filter cost.

Another thing that helped, as mentioned above by the always helpful ClieOs, is foam pads. Using the silicone tips allowed me to push them in deep (a neat effect, seems like you have no earphones at all and the sound is just appearing in your head). The foam ones (Comply for me) hold it out a bit and seem to keep the earwax problem tamed. Different sound but still very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back